« Prev | 52 of 110 Episodes | Next »

Another Irwin Small Screen Disaster Hour

Author: StuOz
30 July 2010

A giant whale swallows a bomb that is about to explode and a nervous gent on Seaview (Kevin Hagen) will do anything to get the whale.

Voyage/Sea did the whale theme four times - The Ghost Of Moby Dick (Y1), Jonah And The Whale (Y2), The Shape Of Doom (Y2), Secret Of The Deep (Y4) - and whenever the whale appeared the general quality of Voyage improved: Some great guest would appear and/or there was a strong feeling of gusto in the general presentation of the episodes. I personally regard The Shape Of Doom as being just as good as the other three hours but nearly all other fans don't feel that way at all. One noted Voyage fan called this hour boring while another noted fan picked out holes in the script. Others just complain that it was too much like Jonah And The Whale.

Perhaps I just have a thing for whale shows (however I don't like the 1956 Moby Dick movie?) or perhaps I am just won over by the intense acting of Kevin Hagen, an actor I normally see running around studio jungles in Land Of The Giants. Whatever the case, The Shape Of Doom is a classic and Kevin Hagen's finest hour. Also, Jerry Goldsmith's outstanding Jonah And The Whale score is re-used here and Basehart is in super-fine form.