IMDb > "Two and a Half Men" Pilot (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Two and a Half Men" Pilot (2003)

« Prev | 2 of 256 Episodes | Next »

Maybe the best pilot ever made!

Author: mattiasflgrtll6 from Sweden
27 January 2014

As you probably know, a pilot of a series isn't always perfect, though they sometimes still succeed with catching your interest, since that's what a pilot is supposed to do. "The Simpsons" had a fantastic pilot, but it would take up to "Bart The General" for the humor to become satiric and comedic genius. A lot of characters hadn't arrived yet either. But it's still charming and very sweet. "Family Guy" had a good pilot too, pretty much showcasing how offensive the show would become. However, much funnier episodes would still come after that. "24" had a great pilot, but had an even better season finale, beating out ALL the other episodes in season 1! "The X Files" had a solid and interesting pilot, but the relationship between Mulder and Scully was a little stale there and would take a few episodes to develop further. "South Park" had a goofy, but still pretty funny, pilot. "Two And A Half Men"? Absolutely perfect! Not only is the characters so incredibly well- introduced so quickly, but it's also one of the funniest episodes ever made. This was a show that didn't need to develop much at all, as everything was completely excellent from the very beginning. In fact, it's even one of my favorite episodes, and THAT really says something, doesn't it? If this show doesn't succeed to hook you from here, something is seriously wrong with you. 10 out of 10!

Hilarious!

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
5 November 2013

Alan's wife (Maran Hinkle) kicks him out of their home. Charlie is all snuggled in bed with a woman, ready to have sex, but he gets a strange phone call from his Brother Alan. Alan & Jake move in with Charlie. Charlie bonds with Jake, whilst Alan tries to reconcile his marriage with his wife Judith.

This is edited from my review of the original pilot, with a couple of modifications. I had a lot of fun with this one. Despite seeing many episodes of this show over the years, I've never seen the original pilot. The opening is very subdued and simple here, in lieu of the elaborate opening we would come to know and love, with Sheen, Cryer & Angus T. Jones performing the theme song in a tux. There was also foreshadowing for things to come in this series. Rose immediately establishes herself as the lovable stalker, obsessed with Charlie, gluing his cabinets shut, leaving messages, among other things. Even Charlie's future girlfriend, Chelsea (Jennifer Taylor) makes an appearance as a shopper. My favorite moment has to be Jake singing the "Maplelicious" song, which Charlie wrote. It's a rarity you see Charlie & Jake be so attached to one another, so it was quite cute to witness. It was pretty transparent from the outset, that this series would be a huge hit. I don't watch it anymore, thanks to Ashton Kutcher ruining it, but I still love to watch the episodes up until Charlie left. This was a lot of fun, and it's a must see for Two and a Half Men fans. You could tell Charlie's character would be legendary, and the whole cast just clicked instantly. Holland Taylor replaced Blythe Dannner, because Blythe's schedule was too busy. I say they made the right choice. They basically redid Blythe's scenes, with Holland Taylor.

A pilot at the same time interesting and limited.

Author: salgonjulien42
10 April 2013

It first one(night) episode of the cult series Two and has Half Men is the good beginning which puts rather effectively the bases of the series. Indeed, we discern well the various characters and their characters, their specificity. We are already entitled to some retorts felt(smelt) well on behalf of Charlie, central figure and complete anti-hero. If the episode is interesting it is especially in the way are introduced the various characters with the installation of Alan and Jake (already very funny) at this womanizer(dredger) of Charlie. In summary, a good episode amusing enough (the scene(stage) in the supermarket is really funny) but the most representative of the series because bases are only put. It is that after some episodes that the sitcom is really going to find its rhythm and its miserable tone so characteristic. While waiting for this episode establishes(constitutes) a nice introduction.