IMDb > "Twin Peaks" Episode #2.22 (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Twin Peaks" Episode #2.22 (1991)

« Prev | 30 of 30 Episodes

The best television episode ever aired

Author: Joseph Galvin from Ireland
31 March 2006

The final episode of Twin Peaks left many disappointed. "Too many loose ends!" they cried. "Too bleak and upsetting!" I can understand these criticisms but for me this episode of Twin Peaks is the pinnacle of television excellence. Not only did it pave the way for shows like Carnivale and Lost (although not for almost 10 years) it was a terrifying, gripping ride in which you genuinely did not know if there would be a happy ending. Unpredictable and totally original it was for me 45 minutes of near perfection - considering it was an unexpected end to the great series Lynch's achievement in creating this episode in such a limited time was spectacular. The wonderful surreal atmosphere of the Red Room, the beauty of the direction and the sheer bizarreness marked a new departure for television - I feel it is only now that Twin Peaks influence is being fully realised. Simply amazing.

Season 2: First half is great, second half loses its way badly and never totally recovers despite a good ending (SPOILERS)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 June 2010

When I watched season 1 I found myself pleasantly surprised by parts and aspects of it that I had forgotten. With season 2 this is sort of the same situation, but not in the same way. What I found here is that my memory had blocked out a lot of the bad aspects of the second season, in particular the second chunk of it. It starts out great though and I am not sure what happens to it but up till Laura's killer is captured and unmasked, the show is as good as the first season was. It continued to have the Blue Velvet approach of American idealism but with this constant darkness always pushing to envelop it from beneath.

This is maintained well in the first half of the season it the way the first season did and it produces plenty of distressing moments – not least of which the murder of Maddy and the scene where the identity of Laura's killer is revealed to Laura's killer. All of this occurs as the main event on top of the same sort of soap opera material as before. And, as before this material is well balanced so that there is just enough of it to be recognisable and to be part of the show but not enough so that it becomes the focus of the show. Now, it is the episode after the exit of Bob from Leland that the entire season seems to take a turn for the worse and I genuinely have no idea what happened – whether the studios changed everyone involved with the writing or what, but something went badly wrong.

In the second half the material involving the investigation into the demons led by Cooper stutters and stumbles badly. Up till now it had been building well with plenty of mystery and dread to keep the viewer interested, but as it should be continuing to grow it seems to scatter to the wind, unsure of how to do it. While this happens we also have the many soapy sub-plots seemingly elevated to become as important if not more important than the investigation and the darkness. Now, while I appreciated this material as the bed of the show, it really clunks around in the second half and I really struggled to care about the majority of it – and did so less and less as it went on. Some of the 50 minute episodes were so heavy with this stuff that when I finished them really only 10-15 minutes had engaged me – which is a shame for a show that held me so effortlessly for the 16 episodes that made up season 1 and the first half of season 2. It does feel like someone decided that the OTT soap opera aspect was what was winning the viewers and that it was this aspect that should be embraced at all costs.

Sadly for the cast, this does expose a lot of them. In season 1, while this material was being done with a knowing air that allowed some of the "daytime TV" performances to be appreciated in context, the move to actually becoming a poor soap opera in some of the threads mean that some of them no longer have the protection of being a small part of a better whole. This affects all of those who have soapy threads that don't contribute particularly towards the central thread – and without this none of them are good enough to lift it themselves, going down with it, Marshall especially is left hanging out in the open badly. The main players continue to be strong though – benefiting from being in the threads that are engaging.

The season does recapture some of the darkness in the final few episodes and does pull off a particularly disturbing finale but I, like many viewers I suspect, felt fatigued by pointlessness by this stage and was grateful for it to be done. The first half of season 2 is great stuff and it is a shame it wastes it all away to nothing for the latter half, losing touch with what made the show work in the first place. Still a great show and worth remembering – but, having rewatched season 2 now I can totally understand why my memory from twenty years ago selectively edited out much of the second half.

One of the best episodes in Television history...

Author: Red_Identity from United States
31 August 2010

The finale to Twin Peaks was everything you could hope for and more. David Lynch is back to direct this episode, and whoa, what an episode it is. The writing and direction are spectacular and spellbinding. This is Lynch at his most surreal. What I find truly amazing about the ending to the series is that it does not close the doors for the characters. It actually does not have much of the other characters besides Cooper and Windom Earle stuck in the Black Lodge. The scenes of Cooper dwelling deeper into the Black Lodge are completely bizarre and unpredictable, and I wonder what kind of reception it got back when it aired. I am sure many people would have dismissed it as being 'weird' for the sake of being weird, but that is what Lynch is. He is a master at surrealism and mystery, and it was part of what got me into Twin Peaks. The murder, and Lynch's trademark suspense. I also did find the fates of several characters very tragic (including my favorite character in the series, who happens to be female), but the way it happened was completely shocking and it shows just how unpredictable Lynch is. BRAVO to the series as a whole and to the amazing series finale!

one of the few truly inspired series finales in TV history

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
9 May 2007

What a way to go out on a bang! The series finale to Twin Peaks is not only superb as an episode in tying together loose ends in an entertaining way, it transcends what are usually the limitations of the TV medium. David Lynch directed the episode, which is obvious from every single minute that was shot. It's a lot more like the most surreal art-film shot by a European cameraman than your typical prime-time network finale. We see finally, as has been hyped for the previous episodes, the Black Lodge, what could almost be considered the truest form of a haven for the dark side of the universe. Cooper finds that the map will show him how to follow Windam-Earl, who's kidnapped Annie, Cooper's new love, to bring the worst evil imaginable. Passing sycamore trees, we finally enter what is the ultimate labyrinth as dictated by Lynch and company, where we see old "friends" (the Man from Another Room, the room service man at the Great Northern, Laura, Mr. Palmer, the Giant, et all), and see the most frightening outcome imaginable.

In one of Lynch's most staggering displays of bravura directing, the Twin Peaks finale is alternately hysterically funny (the wrap-up of what happens at the bank), dramatically exquisite (the mess over at Donna's), plain goofy in its obviousness (Nadine's come around reminds me of the climax of Muppets Take Manhattan), and absolutely thrilling in how only Lynch and Frost can pull it off. Everything from the lighting- going so over-the-top with the flashing lights and the slow-to-fast pacing- to the sound design, to the completely out-of-this-world turn of performances by everyone in the Black Lodge, it all just clicks so well that it gives one who's already very used to Lynch's wild theatrics the chills. Indeed, the very end left me feeling the same way I did the first times I saw Lynch's best work in Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive: it makes total sense, even if it makes no sense all the same. And yet, the emotional impact is concise, direct, and with a punch that's undeniable. Meanwhile, it's all on TV, not in a cinema, where one would expect to see such artful craft and simple touches of visual wizardry.

Wow, Bob, Wow. That's all I could say once this ended.

Evil versus Good

Author: fordread
24 July 2007

This episode was nothing but amazing. The main questions that Twin Peaks is raising are...who is evil ? Why ? Are we humans evil ? All the show is about this perpetual fight between good and evil. And the answers...are in the end...revealed : humans are not evil...sure they can be very nasty and even evil comparable sometimes...but in fact they are not evil...we are just humans...with goods and bads... . On the other hand...evil exists, and it is among us...camouflaged...and will always win.

Now, what is really interesting is the situation of Special Agent Dale Cooper. Through the show...he becomes the image of purity and kindness. He is surrounded by a divine aura. He keeps saying Twin Peaks is heaven like and people here are nothing but divine...when in fact he is the real deal...he is the one that has no match, and it's almost like he's an angel or something. Then love blinds him...and following the call of his heart once again he is lost, and this time for good. And in his search of the loved one...he looses his soul. An angel has fallen, and with it...the equilibrium of our world, of our soul. This is the real horror in this movie, this is the real tormenting feeling that we get. We had no feelings for the ones that died, not even for that Harold Smith, not to say Laura, but our world collapses when we see Special Agent Dale Cooper changed. One of the best ending for a TV show ever seen by me. Everything flows naturally, and it is not suddenly accelerated and rushed like in other TV shows. The pieces are binding and the terror is finally getting me. (I'll just say, that it really did not scared me this movie, nor making me cry, not until this final episode with its end...o boy...the end worth the wait. I still have bitter taste in my mind when I'm thinking of poor Dale Cooper...after all...this was his show...and all the others...where just humans).

And as a one last thing. Why is Bob calling Annie in the end ? Frightening right ? Annie apparently survived, soul and body. Annie is the second angel in this show. That's why Cooper is following in love with her, and that's why Bob wants to loose her too. (but still..I wouldn't feel much sorry for her if it wasn't for the lost of Special Agent Dale Cooper. He sacrificed himself for her.)

Under the sycamore trees

Author: Plamen Veliov from Bulgaria
1 July 2006

There are truly few things in my life that have affected me the way this episode did. Call me a hopeless case of an addict, but what I experienced was unique. I believe the people who have actually understood the complex nature of this TV series are a minority. As one of these people I feel truly blessed. When I was only 4 years old I watched the whole series and what is nearly impossible to believe is that I've remembered numerous scenes from the last episode for nearly 15 years. With details. This can give you an example of what kind of a brain wrecker David Lynch has created in these 45 minutes of pure perfection. For two seasons the feeling for mystery, horror and the hunger to know more is being fed and in the final episode, David Lynch unleashes his darkest, most surreal and bizarre ideas coming straight from the very depths of his twisted mind in the culmination of all times. The red curtains, the bizarre atmosphere of the red room, the feeling of twisted reality, the deep music that flows in the air, even the pattern on the floor - all the elements combine to give us the best 45 minutes in cinematic history. This episode left a mark in my brain, I believe can never be erased. Best piece of art ever.

Surreal, Beautiful, Tragic, and Horrifying

Author: framptonhollis from United States
2 August 2016

After the rough mid-second season, the last few episodes of "Twin Peaks" seemed almost like a miracle. While I don't think that the mid-second season was necessarily BAD, it was certainly way weaker and flawed than the rest of the series, but the final episodes make up for it completely.

In every possible way, the last episode of "Twin Peaks" makes up for the show's flaws, and on top of that, it is one of the greatest experiences I have had watching any T.V. show or film for that matter.

While it ends on many cliffhanger (the final scene being the ULTIMATE cliffhanger), it actually felt like the perfect closure for a television series. The subplots are left unsolved, but they still feel like they ended perfectly somehow, and the lack of everything being explained makes it all the more powerful. Even the most comedic subplots have surprisingly compelling endings- and it works completely! It's an amazingly tragic episode for a series that has so many comedic elements, but it's hard to imagine it in any other way. Plus, I'm not saying that this episode has NO humor in it! The entire scene in the bank is very absurd and hilarious-but in a dark and strange way, a lot like the humor in "Eraserhead."

The scenes in the Black Lodge are particularly impressive and memorable. This episode has Lynch at his most surreal and terrifying, making it feel like a nightmare caught on camera, reminiscent of films like "Eraserhead" and "Inland Empire".

This is definitely my favorite episode of the series, and really makes up for the weak mid- second season.

Twin Peaks Finale

Author: afsoruco from United States
6 July 2006

I agree. this last episode of the series was something of legend. I was in 7th grade and remembering the last episode was on a random night due to low ratings. But lynch unleashed his most vivid imagery of nightmares and madness. It was non-stop, especially when Cooper goes into the ring of trees. No one comes close to Lynch in un ervi ng the viewer through use of music, imagery and sound. Thus, I watch all Lynch movies during the day in a bright room. I have only seen the last twin peaks episode once but like the above poster it is etched in my memory and I'm ready to pull the trigger on the collection that will include all the episodes later this year, I believe.

A near-perfect conclusion

Author: wintry-34293
3 January 2016

The second season of Twin Peaks was largely disappointing; entirely constructed out of boring, and sometimes unintentionally funny, subplots. The show seemed to have lost all focus and direction; I no longer cared about James, Harold was handled clumsily, Windom Earle was embarrassingly pantomimic and wholly unthreatening, and Andy, Lucy and Dick, instead of being funny, were unbearably grating. The first half of the two-part final episode was cringe worthy, sexist and corny. And, although I had heard good things about it, I was not hopeful for the final part. However my expectations were exceeded immeasurably. The final episode was everything Twin Peaks was at its pinnacle; scary, dark and truly funny. David Lynch's return to control the season's end, is palpable. His writing and direction brings an atmosphere that cannot be replicated or identified successfully. And all the mistakes the second season made were repaired, and my patience for staying with the show repaid; Andy and Lucy share a genuine tender moment together at the beginning of the episode, Donna's crisis about the true identity of her father is heart-breaking, and Doc Hayward's actions shocking. Pete Martell's entrance is funny, and Lynch's distinctive atmosphere is pervasive as the map found in Owl Cave is studied. Also Cooper's presence is much darker and far less sprightly that we have previously seen him, as he displays more of the mysterious powers we have not seen him utilise for some time. Much of the season finale is constructed almost as a love letter to the first season, and Twin Peaks at its pinnacle. This is evident in the sudden re-appearances of characters we have not seen for a long time; Cooper asks to see Ronnette, and Hawk produces her in moments, as though she had been in the station ever since we last saw her in the first season. Sarah Palmer briefly returns to deliver an unsettling message to Major Briggs, and the giggling Heidi returns, who we have not seen since the pilot. Lynch almost seems to be apologising for the unwanted tangents the show took in the second season, returning the show to the beginning. The frankly silly subplot about Nadine believing she was a teenager again is soberingly handled, and Lynch remarkably makes this scene at once darkly funny and crushingly sad. The bank scene does not have the same emotional impact as the other cliff-hangers however, as Andrew Packard is a thinly drawn, and slimily irritating character, that seems to suffocate many scenes involving him of life. The distant shots of the elderly Dell walking achingly slowly around the bank is Finally, the Black Lodge segments of the episode are some of the most transcendent ever committed to television. The dialogue is utterly alien, and there are scenes that are the most frightening, disturbing and upsetting sequences of the entire series. BOB's swift killing of Windom Earle, Laura Palmer's screaming and of course, the well-publicised ending. Overall, the final episode makes up for all the dreary mistakes Twin Peaks made throughout season two, and is unlike anything I have ever seen.

The most touching and frightening experience

Author: kammmacher from Switzerland
16 October 2015

This episode is the most touching and frightening experience i ever had in front of a screen. Yes, there are some boring episodes in season 2 ( Marsh, also Jean Renault.... boring elements.. but in the end - i watched it after twenty years again there are just two or three episodes are boring - and they are much better than the most of the other TV series )... but's essential to watch everything. Just then you can understand what a TV series can be... a religious experience. Jesus Christ....! Oh! I am looking forward to season 3. And i hope there will be some redemption for dear Dale B. Cooper! Yes, it's really a miracle, how this director achieves to touch the viewers deepest memories.... he knows our dreams... and what happened to Annie. Oh, i hope she's fine. And i hope Audrey will save cooper and win his heart. I always dreamt about this love story.... i wished they will be a happy couple...