IMDb > "The Twilight Zone" The After Hours (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Twilight Zone" The After Hours (1960)

« Prev | 34 of 156 Episodes | Next »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

The 9th floor?

Author: serynlds from United States
4 July 2014

I remember sitting with my dad and watching every episode of The Zone. While I was young, I remember this episode being called THE LADY ON THE 9th FLOOR. Either my dad and I renamed it or After Hours was not the original title. No spoilers here, just that I still get chicken skin when I walk into a department store. Does anyone else remember the title? Would like to hear if anyone is still bothered by this episode. It brings back a lot of great memories. I am watching "Willoughby" as I write this. Another favorite episode. Thinking about buying all five seasons. Is there a chat room that talks about all the episodes in all the seasons. I really don't care for the newer (60 minutes) episodes.

"Please come again..., anytime".

Author: classicsoncall from United States
29 March 2010

As in so many episodes, Rod Serling has the unique knack of putting the viewer inside the person of his main character, even though we eventually come to realize that Marsha White (Anne Francis) isn't really a character at all. I think about being a kid and going up into the attic by myself, or walking home late at night in the dark, and I get the same type of feeling one gets watching Marsha navigate the empty ninth floor with the creepy mannequins and the half heard whispering voices. You want to run, but you also want to stick around and hope you've got the courage to outlast the willies that send shivers up your spine. This is the kind of story I dare you to watch at night with the lights out and the sound down low. Be careful when you get on that elevator, you might find yourself... going down.

Martha wants to buy a gold thimble for her mother & gets terrorized by some mannequins.

Author: bethanne558 from United States
2 January 2010

Marsha gets taken to the ninth floor of a department store by a creepy elevator operator.

When she gets there the floor is virtually deserted but for a few empty display counters and a very odd saleswoman.

After buying a thimble, she discovers that it is defective. When she attempts to return it, she is told that the 9th floor doesn't exist. She becomes very frustrated and so does the sales staff. Eventually she becomes delirious and the staff allows her to lie down. The staff forgets about her and she's locked in the store overnight.

Soon everyone is messing with poor Marsha, even the mannequins.

Dummies!

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
19 February 2013

It's not one of my favorites but it's diverting enough. Anne Francis is shopping in a sizable department store and taken by elevator to a floor that's not supposed to exist. Complaining to the manager, she's asked to lie down. When she wakes up, the store has closed. She's trapped inside and all of the mannequins come to life and remind her that she, too, is a mannequin. Every one of them gets a month off to live with the "outsiders" and Francis is a day late. Next day, we see her posed on a stand -- just another dummy.

First of all, Anne Francis is pert and cute enough to actually BE a mannequin which, in a way, I guess she is. Second, as Mr. Armbruster, the constantly frustrated manager, James Millhollin is fantastic. He steals every scene he's in, with his arched eyebrows, rolling eyeballs, and diverse moues.

Third, it must have been a tricky story to shoot. People alternate between being real and being mannequins. Fine, but how do you handle it? Do you have the actors pose, hold still, and not breathe? What the producers did was make thin plaster casts of the faces of the three principles and then paint them with acrylic. The effect is startlingly realistic, especially Elizabeth Allen's.

Finally, the director, Dougles Heyes, has pepped up the proceedings with some unusual shots, interesting rather than merely spooky. We see Anne Francis screaming for help through the pebbled glass of a doorway. And there is a Bunellian shot her black shoes tripping nervously along the marble floor. The shoes themselves are of the 1960s, with toes more pointed than would be acceptable today. I only mention this because I happen to be an expert on ladies' shoes. As a matter of fact, I have quite a collection of them hidden away in my closet under a pedestrian-looking pile of folded blankets so my landlady can't find them.

Great Episode!

Author: classicmovieman from United States
1 January 2008

Marsha is at a department store looking for a gold thimble for her mother. She is taken to the 9th floor of the building, where nobody is except one weird saleslady. The only thing in stock? A gold thimble. Marsha later sees that it is scratched! She complains to the management, but they say there is no 9th floor and they let her lay down. She wakes up and the store is closed. The mannequins began to talk to her, calling her name. She becomes distraught. They come to life, and she realizes that she too, is a mannequin, and that her 1 month time to live with humans is up! When the manager comes in the next day, he finds a new mannequin, but he recognizes this one!

Great mood even if it doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
3 October 2009

Anne Francis stars as a rather odd lady who feels lost and inexplicably scared in a department store. Who she is and what is going on is not certain, but the episode did a great job of maintaining a creepy mood-even though for much of the episode nothing particularly scary is occurring. There is a pervasive sense that SOMETHING is amiss as the lady wanders about the store. Oddly, the store closes with her in it and she wanders about--going floor to floor and wondering why she cannot escape. By the end, there is of course a twist that makes sense of the last 20 minutes--but the "twist" doesn't exactly make sense--but it STILL is interesting and worth seeing. All in all, a very effective job in building the proper mood--this one might just give you the creeps--even if the end is a tad silly.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]