IMDb > "Twilight Zone" Death Ship (1963) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Twilight Zone" Death Ship (1963)"The Twilight Zone" Death Ship (original title)

« Prev | 108 of 156 Episodes | Next »

Great acting and a cool story

Author: kurt b from United States
30 August 2009

You can identify 50s science fiction by it's curious blend of ancient technology (large computers with blinking buttons/lights that are operated with binary switches) and characters who smoke, but with stories which aren't very far off scientifically. The reason for this is simple: relativity, quantum mechanics and most physics we know today, at least the barebones, was known then. But technology such as computers and social norms, such as not smoking, didn't become part of our culture in the 1990s. It was a gradual change.

What we have in this story is an interesting incident in which 3 astronauts find a ship crashed on a planet they're exploring. The characters are clearly in a time loop in which all space-time routes away from the planet loop back to the planet. They arrive to see their crashed ship. They attempt to leave at some point, and their actions, which are in response to their own observance of the crashed ship, cause them to crash their ship. So, you're left with "how did they first crash the ship?" The solution in physics can only be a closed space-time loop. There's no way for it to have happened the first time in the universe they are in.

The universe in which they crashed it initially is no longer part of their history, but it is part of one of their histories, which has now broken free from all of their possible current histories. My guess is that this could be explained using Everett's many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics if you suspend the axiom of independence for all universes--at some point, they made a transition to one of the virtually infinite branches of their current universe to a version which has a closed space-time curve

curves back on itself, and there is no way to get back to the actual universe they came from and no way to leave the planet.

Very good, though I would have preferred a more ambiguous ending...

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
27 May 2010

"Death Ship" is a very successful one hour episode in that the show did not seemed padded and was able to use the time slot well. This is a com0plaint I have with some of the hour-long shows, but not this one.

It begins with a ufo-like spacecraft from Earth exploring for habitable planets. I thought it was rather funny that this interplanetary ship was supposedly traveling in the futuristic year 1997! When the ship lands, however, things get very, very confusing The three astronauts (Jack Klugman, Ross Martin and Fred Beir) are very confused to say the least. There is a crashed ship next to them...and it looks exactly like their ship! The Captain (Klugman) is very rigid and insists they cannot jump to conclusions. But, when they investigate the wreck and find themselves dead in the wreckage, what conclusions are they to draw?! Is this REALLY them? If so, how can they be looking at their dead selves?! Overall, this is a really good episode. My only problem with it is that there are multiple possibilities as to what is happening. It could be that residents of the planet are causing this and many other hallucinations in order to either scare them off or cause them to destroy themselves. It could be that they are dead and are seeing themselves but cannot accept it. Or, there could be another excellent possibility. I loved the ambiguity of this and was very disappointed when, at the end, the narrator makes it very clear exactly what has occurred. This seemed unnecessary and like over-kill. Still, a fascinating show and one that shows that season four's one-hour format could work.

Captain Ahab Has Nothing on Jack Klugman

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
22 April 2014

This is a very familiar episode. It was written by Richard Matheson who always raised the Twilight Zone to a higher level. In it, a group of space travelers (using the same tired flying saucer that has appeared numerous time in Serling's offerings) land on a planet with a friendly atmosphere. There is tremendous tension among the three, Jack Klugman's Captain an ornery, inflexible autocrat. They are on an exploratory mission and it is natural for them to do this. Upon looking out on the landscape, they see a crashed saucer, an exact copy of the one they are on. Since it is safe for them to do so, they enter the ship, and are aghast to find exact duplicates of themselves, in various poses, all of them dead. Klugman refuses to listen to anything the others say. They are in shock and believe that they have actually died. The two shipmates actually experience a kind of out-of-body experience where they find themselves meeting people who have died in the past. They have also experienced evidence of their own deaths: a newspaper clipping and a funeral bulletin. They are shocked into returning to the ship. Suddenly, the prospect of remaining on the planet becomes unacceptable and this leads to action.

This is a nicely done episode. Jack Klugman's Captain is insufferable. It makes one wonder how these three haven't killed each other long before this. He sees the others as weak and whimpering.

"It was us in there!"

Author: classicsoncall from United States
24 June 2010

Ultimately, this episode of The Twilight Zone turns out to be an interplanetary ghost story. Along the way, the writers (Serling and Richard Matheson) delve into a scientific theory of circumnavigating time into potential time warps and a possible future. I have no idea if any of this has been posited before, but it all sounds pretty cool, and makes more sense than some of the pseudo-scientific rationale that was used in sci-fi flicks of the Forties and Fifties.

A thought that came to me while watching was whether Gene Roddenberry ever took note of the story before coming up with a Star Trek first season episode called 'Shore Leave'. In that one, the ST crew conjured up a range of experiences related to their life back home, much in the way that Lieutenant Mason (Ross Martin) and Liutenant Carter (Fred Beir) did here. Whether experienced for real or in their mind's eye, it all seemed very real to them while it lasted.

One thing you have to say for Rod Serling and the production crew, they took every advantage of recycling their equipment to keep expenses down. There were probably a good half dozen TZ shows utilizing your standard elliptical flying saucer that was commonplace during the era. I was surprised the camera was never used to pan over the downed spacecraft to reveal the insignia of E-89. I mean, if you wanted to play head games with the crew, there would have been no better way to do it than with that revelation.

Two very cool concepts from the story that emerge with the benefit of almost a half century of hindsight - it took place in the way distant future of 1997! And - the futuristic Interplanetary Administration had the foresight to create a Rocket Bureau - imagine that!

Good moments, but generally tired and dated.

Author: darrenpearce111 from Ireland
28 December 2013

Jack Klugman makes his third of four appearances in TZ and Ross Martin returns after 'The Four Of Us Are Dying' from series one. What kept me interested in this story was whether the three spacemen could end up alive somehow even after finding dead bodies of themselves. Some interesting theories are put foreword by the headstrong Captain Ross (Klugman). I watched knowing that spacemen have a generally low survival rate in TZ.

The flying saucer and tilted camera effects somewhat date this entry. There are bright moments also some real conviction shown by Klugman and especially Martin. Yet I consider this a lesser TZ as you get the feeling of deja-vu. There are certainly earlier episodes that this resembles. Die-hard Zone fans might almost expect them to pass by Rod Taylor up in space.

They'll Never Get That Crate Off The Ground.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
1 April 2013

Three astronauts -- skipper Klugman, and Martin and Beir -- land their flying saucer on a planet with orders to collect any specimens of life they find. What they find is an exact replica of their own ship, crashed, and containing their own dead bodies.

This rather discomfits them. How can they be examining the wreck of their own ship, and how can they roll their own dead bodies around? Well, in fact, they don't know.

Captain Klugman guess that they've passed through some sort of time transmogrification or something and the crashed ship they're looking at is a vision of one possible future. There follows a sequence in which Martin and Beir each experience a hallucination or something in which they are reunited with some dead loved ones.

When Klugman snaps them out of it, he decides that his original hypothesis about crossing the equatorial time barrier was wrong. They're really being hypnotized by invisible beings who live on the planet, resent their presence, and don't want them to leave. No kidding, that's how Klugman's explanation works out.

The three men argue about this at some length, take off and land the ship again, and the crashed replica is still there. "Why not give it up, Captain," sobs Martin. "Can't you see we're all dead already?" Cut to the beginning of the episode, with the flying saucer approaching the planet and about to land for the first time. Maybe they'll do it "unto eternity," Rod Serling's narration informs us.

That's all well and good, except I don't know what they'll be doing unto eternity or why. Neither will you.

Beir is unconvincing but Klugman and Martin do decent jobs. The problem is that the story makes very little sense. Serling once observed that the show as perfect for a half-hour time slot and he was right, by and large. The story seems padded out and turgid at one hour. Some of the hour-long episodes were much better but this one is kneecapped by poor writing and a sort of slapdash quality to the production. It's supposed to be thirteen degrees below zero outside, yet the ship has its windows open and there are banana plants growing around it.

Mind-Blowing Spaceship Show

Author: StuOz
14 August 2007

The spaceship from Forbidden Planet is used again. I even think of this as Forbidden Planet 2...well almost. This is all about a pain-in-the-bum Captain (Jack Klugman) who can't understand what is going on with his "death ship". I first viewed this episode when I was 17 (in 1983) and it never really escaped my memory...the closing narration plays in my head whenever I encounter stupid people doing the same thing all the time. But is the episode a classic? No. The teaser, act one and the end are classic but a good part of it is crap. It feels like a 51 minute episode that should of been a 25 minute show.

It gets high marks for the use of stock Jerry Goldsmith music played during the bit where Klugman glares at the dead crew. And, as I said, the closing narration is a mind-blower.

I love spaceship shows on television and Death Ship would have to go down as one of the first produced to really capture my imagination. Twilight Zone was not the only series to steal from Forbidden Planet, it is common knowledge that Star Trek/Lost In Space stole from Forbidden Planet but the underground city in The Time Tunnel pilot (1966) was designed after the underground city seen in Forbidden Planet.