IMDb > "Trying Times" A Family Tree (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Trying Times" A Family Tree (1987)

1 of 12 Episodes | Next »

Funny - This Is What I Have Been Trying To Find To Review

Author: richard.fuller1
15 December 2006

When I watched "Boogie Nights" and saw Robert Ridgely, I thought, well, he was the father in that program with Rosanna Arquette (about the best I have ever seen her, normally I don't like her), David Byrne (too hilarious as the brother-in-law), Hope Lange, Tracey Brooks Swope and Brandon Call, but all attempts to review it couldn't bring up anything with these performers.

Finally tracked it down.

Arquette was the new girlfriend, fiancée of the son, John Stockwell (as dull as they come). Right off the bat, she was doing bad.

She dropped Hope Lange's wedding ring down the garbage disposal.

As Ridgely sought to get it out, sticking his hand down the drain, Arquette turns on the lights to see better! Yep, it was the switch activating the disposal.

So here we go.

Dinner was interesting as Byrne, as the brother-in-law, made lewd gestures toward Arquette with the cigar in his mouth.

Byrne saved himself a piece of pie. Arquette, lying in bed, coudln't stand it, so she went to get that tantalizing piece of pie and eat it herself.

Then she went back to bed, only to hear loud screaming later on.

She runs to the kitchen to find Byrne, in his underwear, yelling about the missing piece of pie. Obviously his son, Brandon Call, ate it.

"That kid hates me!" he screamed.

As Arquette sought to quiet him down and tell him she ate the pie, he lunges at her.

In walks his wife, Tracey Brooks Swope.

Apparently he does stuff like this all the time.

Byrne and Swope leave, so Arquette decides she will go out and buy another pie, making Byrne happy.

Upon her return, the house was on fire.

Don't recall what she did to cause the fire, I think she threw the empty pie plate and Byrne's cigar in the garbage can and this is what caused the fire.

They all ended happily.

The insurance compensated the parents, Swope left Byrne, grandpa went to a nice home (he seemed content) and Arquette married Stockwell.

Wonderful little program, rare to see some of these on TV at this time.