IMDb > "Tru Calling" The Longest Day (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Tru Calling" The Longest Day (2004)

« Prev | 12 of 27 Episodes | Next »

Quantum Leap meets Ground Hog day.

Author: bethwilliam from Port Stephens, Australia
29 June 2008

This is the episode Tru Calling started to take itself seriously. Alec Newman walks into a convenience store and gets himself shot while trying to hold it up. At the morgue he asks for help and Tru rewinds to start the day over. When she intervenes a different person dies and so the day starts over again.

This happens 4 times until the right person dies which causes another life to be saved. What we learn from this episode is that there is an intelligence behind what is happening.

Tru starts asking herself some serious questions. Does she have the right to choose who dies and who lives? If one persons survives how does that impact on the future? These questions will be taken up with a vengeance when Jason Priestley makes his debut later in the season.

I enjoyed this episode.

"There's a plan for everyone."

Author: filmbuff20 from United Kingdom
20 April 2007

"The Longest Day" marks a change of pace for "Tru Calling" after 10 rather formulaic episodes. This day rewinds a total of 4 times, each time resulting in a different death, and Tru must Groundhog Day her way to the end of it, replaying the day until she gets it right.

The main question posed here is: Who lives and who dies? Who decides? This is the first episode where Tru really begins to question the moral consequences of her abilities. In one scene she asks Davis "How do I know what fate wants?" Does Tru have the right, just because she can, to change the life plan for the people she saves? Is it not their time to go? SPOILER These questions raised pave the way for Jack, her opposite, played by Jason Priesley in later episodes, who's job it is to make sure the day plays out the way it's supposed to and to stop Tru from saving these people. The great thing about Jack is that we don't know if he truly is a villain, and, had the series continued, these questions would have been dealt with in greater detail. I'm sure it would have been a richer series had it been allowed to get going. Having said that, series 2 is very, very juicy stuff.

As for this episode, as I've said, it's pivotal to the change in the series and the change in structure. Definitely recommended.

The craziest episode yet!

Author: gridoon2014
4 July 2009

The "Tru Calling" writers continue to find new ways to explore their basic concept. This time, they ask: what would happen if someone died on a "do-over" day and ALSO asked for Tru's help? And what if in the third version of the same day another person died and ALSO asked for Tru's help? And what if in the fourth version....The already obvious similarities to "Groundhog Day" are stronger than ever here: Tru is literally trapped in the same day, and has to figure out what she has to do to escape the loop. There is no mystery this time; we know from the beginning what led to the original death. But every time Tru tries to change things, there are side effects that lead to other unfortunate events. I was impressed by the attention to detail in "The Longest Day", from the throwaway bit with the garbage can to the whole business with Davis' sandwich. It's a creative, thought-provoking, funny and touching episode. *** out of 4.