IMDb > "That '70s Show" The Promise Ring (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"That '70s Show" The Promise Ring (2001)

« Prev | 76 of 200 Episodes | Next »

A badly scripted turn of events

Author: el_monty_BCN from Barcelona, Spain
11 November 2008

Don't get me wrong please: I'm not giving this episode 1 solitary star just because I'm angry about the break-up itself. As much as I hated the fact that Eric and Donna broke up, I could understand that some problems in the characters' relationships are necessary for any story to maintain its momentum and not become boring. But what I really, REALLY hated was the unnecessarily painful and implausible way in which it was done. Eric's initiative might have been a little bold for someone so young, but Donna's reaction was a total betrayal to her character, because for much of the show she had been completely committed to the relationship. Knowing her as we know her by that point, her sudden fear of commitment just doesn't make any sense. Why the hell does her dream of an exciting life have to be incompatible with being with the man she loves? Like Eric says, how can she possibly love Eric if she can imagine a more attractive future in which he is not present? Eric's indignation is justified, and Donna's attitude made me hate her; but I realised she is just a fictional character, and I should be hating the writers for mangling her character in such a disgraceful way for the sake of a plot twist. A real pity.

the promise ring

Author: phobodobo29 from United States
13 December 2006

Eric and Kelso buy promise rings from Leo for their girls. Eric gives his to Donna, but Kelso is reluctant to give it to Jackie. Fez accidentally spills the secret that Kelso bought Jackie a ring too. She is desperate to get it. Kelso is reluctant because he doesn't know how she reacts to gifts. When Fez tells Jackie that Kelso is sensitive and she needs to ask nicely, Kelso comes around and Jackie yells at him for the ring. He gives it to her. Meanwhile, Donna doesn't want to wear Eric's ring on her finger because she doesn't want to be making a life long promise so soon. Eric is hurt and tells her to put it on her finger. She says no, and he breaks up with her.