IMDb > "Supernatural" Wendigo (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 2 of 265 Episodes | Next »

The Evil That Devours

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
26 November 2006

While camping in Blackwater Ridge, Lost Creek, Colorado, three teenagers vanishes in the woods. Dean and Sam arrive in the place tracking their father, and they meet Haley Collins, who is trying to find her brother. Dean and Sam pretend to be Rangers and decide to help the girl, joining her expedition, and sooner they find that the creature is a Wendigo, a fast and cannibal partially human being that hibernates for twenty-three years, awaking for collecting and store human flesh.

The second episode of "Supernatural" is an action movie, different from the scary "Pilot". In this episode, Dean and Sam face "the evil that devours" successfully using the instructions of their father's diary. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Wendigo"

I like this one!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
22 August 2007

I, or my wife bought, the box set. I did not see all the episodes of the first season, and wanted to catch up on the back ground of the show. I liked 'Wendigo' and found the second show much like the first 'Pilot'. The first two episodes the actors were creating a feel or chemistry between the two brothers; by the fourth show the two lead character's created the full chemistry for the series. Wendigo episode portrays Dean as smart a**, and Sam as independent thinker. The best part of the show is the banter between Dean and the hunting guide. The Wendigo creature and the tunnels provide the catalyst for a creepy background. Movie quality supporting actors, sets, writing, and directing gives the viewer a movie quality TV show. I Love the music and Wendigo is fun to watch. 8 out of 10.

Sam & Dean go camping

Author: katierose295 from United States
15 March 2008

"Wendigo" is still trying to establish the characters. Dean & Sam still aren't exactly the characters they will become, yet. But, for the second episode of the series it still does a pretty good job of laying ground work for their different points if view. Dean wants to help people because it gives his life meaning. Sam wants to help people because it takes him one step closer to finding the Demon who killed Jess. All in all, this is a nice episode and you should give it a shot if you're watching the show on DVD.

"Wendigo" revolves around a rash of mysterious disappearances in the Colorado woods. A young man and his friends vanish while camping and his sister is desperate to find him. Sam & Dean come to town, following the coordinates that John left for them. They're hoping they might find their father there, but he's nowhere to be seen. Sam is very frustrated and disappointed. Dean focuses on helping Haley find her brother. Thinking that John and Haley's brother might me in the woods somewhere, they head off into the forest.

Some research tells the boys that there have been similar disappearances going back for years. They suspect some supernatural events are afoot. Haley hires a guide to take them through the woods, who clashes with Dean (Dean always has a problem with people who hurt animals, instead of hunting REAL game like he & Sam do. See season two's "Tall Tales" and season three's "Malleus Maleficarum.") And it quickly becomes apparent that there's a Wendigo capturing campers for food. The guide is killed, and Dean & Haley are kidnapped.

The Wendigo was once a human, who became a monster by eating human flesh and hunting them for food. Sam tracks the Wendigo to its lair and saves Dean, Haley and her brother. Then Dean kills it with a flare gun. The brothers ride out of town again, Sam is still impatient to find John. Dean reminds him that it might take awhile, but they will find their father, eventually.

There are some good parts to this episode. I really enjoy watching Sam & Dean pretending to be park rangers. They're SO bad at blending in, bringing nothing but M&Ms for food in the forest and walking around in biker boots and jeans. (Dean explains it as "I don't do shorts.") They make me smile. And it's good that the episode begins with Sam's dream of Jessica's grave. His nightmare and guilt over her death, plays a big part in the story arc this season and "Wendigo" really shows that. Also, I like the bear references in the episode. There's the old survivor saying the Wendigo attack was a bear, because no one would believe the truth. Something that Haley and her brothers also tell the police. They don't know how to deal with the idea of monsters. But for Dean, the idea of bears is actually much more exotic than his usually hunting trips. He calmly speculates that the creature in the woods might be a "black dog or skin-walker" like it's no big deal. But, in the ranger's cabin, he is really impressed with the photos on the walls. Calling to Sam, "Dude, look at the size of that friggin' bear!" It's just a cool way of showing how different the Winchesters lives are from most people.

This episode has a theme of becoming the thing you most fear. The Wendigo was once a hunter. A human warrior, who gave into his own selfish temptations and became the monster he once hunted. He gave into the darkside and abandoned his humanity. Instead, of listening to calls for help of hunting food to feed people, the Wendgio uses human cries as a weapon to lure people into his trap and then uses them to feed himself. For Sam, Jessica's death has released a darkness inside of him. He wants revenge and personal vengeance more than anything else. He is willing to ignore Haley and her brothers cries for help and continue searching for John. Left unchecked, his obsession could turn him into the kind of person he least wants to be. Someone as isolated and obsessed as John. Sam is critical of his father's actions and 25 year quest, but now he's started down the same road. It's Dean who has to remind Sam that saving other people is the entire point of their mission. Anger alone can corrode a Hunter from the inside. (see Gordon in season two's "Bloodlust.") For Dean, in order to stop the darkness from destroying Sam, he has to focus on helping other people. On something more than just his own problems and desires.

On the down side, the traditional Wendigo myth gets a little mixed up in this episode. It doesn't really bother me, too much, but my anthropology major brother, ends up ranting about it every time this episode comes on. Also, Haley's younger brother doesn't really seem to do very much in this episode. I'm not sure why he was there. And I'm not sure what the boys were talking about when they say that Demons can go right through walls. I've never seen them do that in later episodes. Maybe they meant that Demons can black-smoke their way through small cracks, but it seems confusing.

My favorite part of the episode: Dean letting Sam drive. I think that it's a small, important moment showing how the brothers are developing a into a team. Dean has never let Sam drive the Impala before. When they were younger, it was a clear-cut hierarchy of John, then Dean, then Sam when they were hunting together. But now the brothers are on their own and building something new. So, offering Sam the keys is a gesture of respect from Dean, showing Sam that he sees him as more of an equal partner in their current journey.

Brothers against Evil: Wendigo

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
2 March 2007

Episode two of "Supernatural" and the ice have definitely been broken. There were the pilot – understandably - focused on the introduction of the two main character and didn't really dig into the mystery of the Lady in White, episode two fully centers on the brothers' battle against yet another type of supernatural evil; the Wendigo. The instructions in their father's journal lead Sam and Dean to Lost Creek, Colorado, where several people went missing over the past few weeks after hiking in the gigantic Blackwater forest. The authorities presume there's a wild grizzly bear on the loose, yet no bodies have yet been discovered and there appears to be an awkward history of missing person cases that repeats itself every 23 years. Sam and Dean team up with a beautiful girl who's looking for her vanished brother and together they face the horror of the Wendigo. What I love so much about this TV-series is how the script gives insightful descriptions of the types of evil the brothers deal with. Being a horror fan, I already encountered the term "Wendigo" in several movies, yet only in "Supernatural" they carefully explain it's an ancient Indian warrior that gained immortality and super strength through eating human flesh. "Wendigo" is a terrific episode! The atmosphere is very reminiscent to those typically old-fashioned backwoods-slashers of the early 80's, like "Just Before Dawn", "The Final Terror" and "Midnight". The Blackwater woods are sublimely portrayed as the inescapable territory of a monstrous predator and especially the underground liar – where the Wendigo saves his victims – looks genuinely uncanny. This episode features plenty of exciting action scenes and the usual amount of witty dialogs. Perhaps it's still too soon to compare this series with other thriller-highlights on television but, so far, I like it a whole lot better than "The X-Files" or "Millennium". The show also mildly reminds me of the prematurely canceled occult series "Brimstone".

Sam and Dean hunt a Wendigo

Author: Ethan from United Kingdom
3 February 2015

Sam and Dean are searching for their father using the coordinates he left them in his journal. Sam and Dean find out that the coordinates lead to a place called Black Water Ridge in Colorado, hoping that their father is there.They arrive at Black Water Ridge hoping that their father would be there but instead meet a girl called Hayley Collins who is trying to find her brother who was last at Black Water Ridge. They join her quest to find her brother, hoping that their father may be there too. They find out that Hayley's brother had been taken by a Wendigo, a fast cannibal that is hardly a human anymore, that takes and stores humans to eat for later. Unfortunately Sam and Dean's father is not there and had in the end, just left them coordinates for another hunt.

This episode was a bit of a let down from the fantastic pilot but was still very enjoyable, Jensen and Jared were fantastic at playing Sam and Dean again. Looking forward to watching the next one.

Into the woods...

Author: on-the-road-so-far from Austria
29 June 2014

This episode picks up where we left off in the pilot. Dean and Sam are following the clue their father left them to Blackwater Ridge, Colorado. Once there, they learn about some people who went missing in the woods over the years and meet Haley and Ben, two siblings looking for their missing brother.

In this episode, Dean and Sam try to find some common ground in their approach of their quest of finding their father. Sam doesn't really see the point in getting distracted from the immediate task at hand by helping others and hunting things at first. He is single-minded (like his dad) in his thirst for revenge. Meanwhile, Dean is worried about his little brother's behaviour, obviously not used to Sam behaving in that rather uncaring way.

We get little hints at how things were before Sam left for college two years ago and how responsible Dean feels for him. When they sit down and talk about Sam's behaviour, Dean tries to reason with Sam that he can't let all that anger consume him or else it will destroy him. He also tells Sam that the best way to cope for him, is to help other people. They know what's out there, and even if they can't make it better for themselves, they are at least able to save others. Dean's devotion to this task and the fact that he can never ignore the responsibility he carries, are two of his most ingrained personal traits, though at this point we're only scratching on the surface of how deep those traits truly run within his psyche.

Overall, I really liked this episode. Once again the atmosphere is very grim and dark and I have always thought that hiking through the woods can be rather scary, especially in the dark. I think it was really well done that we never really see the monster until the end. It keeps the viewer on edge, always trying to catch a glimpse of it.

The second episode of Supernatural leaves me wanting more. Even through the dark and serious parts, it feels fresh and fun. The premise for the show is awesome. Two brothers on a road trip, travelling around in this amazing car (I love the Impala!), hunting monsters and protecting people. The notion that there will be a new town, a new story and new monsters in each of the following episodes is a truly interesting concept and I'm really excited for it.

Favourite quote: I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business. ~ Dean Winchester

Not Exactly my favorite but not bad

Author: zombiehigh18 from Egypt
25 October 2011

Well this is the second episode of the show after the really good pilot episode. It's not exactly my favorite but it's good with the out in the wild monster of the week theme. The main characters' personality start to come a little more clear (especially Sam who is starting to act as obsessed as his father carving for revenge) as well as Dean's character as the guardian of his little Sammy. I liked the part where Dean expressed his worry about how Sam is acting the way he was giving his brother some advise and you can see it in his eyes that he is worried that Sam is becoming another version of their father. Also the part when Dean tells Haily that they are looking for their father and that it is as honest as he can ever be with a girl. His liking of M&M's was cute. Yet Sam annoyed me a little for his uncaring selfish behavior (but Hey the boy is hurt, we can't blame him for some out of character moment).

Tell me... uh, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?

Author: tinytinka from Germany
23 August 2010

Wendigo is my number 87 out of 104

Besides I love every episode, so "87" doesn't mean I don't like it.

Well Wendigo is a great episode. I like that "we're deep in the forest, hunting a beast" - concept. It's classical horror. I kinda like the interactions with Roy an Dean's liking for M&Ms. The greatest thing about the episode was the end, the talk between Sam and Dean. They just realize that they probably never find their dad, but that they can indeed save many people out there. I think this episode, is, after "The Pilot" another "start" for the show, because now, they chose their mission to go hunting, no matter what. Interestin is also Sam's growing wish for revenge and his resemblance to his father.

great 2nd episode

Author: m S from Australia
21 October 2008

As far as I'm aware this show is like a snowball rolling down hill. it needed the next episode to expand the 2 main characters. After the explosive pilot they needed something that was different and could get the 2 brother talking about there situation. with Sam not able to sleep over his girlfriend's death.

Plus I like this one with the father sending the brothers, after they find map coordinates in his journal, out in the middle of nowhere to what looks like bear attacks. It has Dean following his father blindly and Sam questioning his orders. But at least they both agree they want to find Dad. But according to Dean he would have a better luck winning the lottery than finding him.

The creature in this one is okay as well. Something that use to be an Indian living in an underground mine eating campers near buy. They go out searching for one of the victims with his sister and brother. And it's interesting that the plot involves them helping someone find a missing family member.

I love Dean giving lip to the guide that Haley (the sister) brings. It's pretty obvious that he has no idea what he is dealing with right up until the point when the Wendigo gets him.

You shouldn't skip any of these episode because they are all great to watch and have funny bits in them. As well as a some on going character development.

Only two forlorn boys..

Author: PrivateBozz from Germany
5 December 2007

Although I call myself a fan, this is an episode that shows all the weaknesses of Supernatural. And some of the things I love about it.

Let's start with the bad: First of all, the story is shamelessly stolen from an X-Files-Episode ('Detour', Season 5). Check it yourself if you don't believe me. It's something the writers here often do, and it really pisses me off. They take bits and pieces of other movies or TV shows, and present them as if they were something new. They do it in a very lousy way, too. Don't get me wrong, it's not the main plot I'm talking about.

What I don't like as well, is the fact, that wherever they get, it's always a 'pretty' young woman they end up with (well, I'm in the middle of season 1, so maybe that changes). Come on, this is so inkhorn. The characters could need a lot more depth, and it wouldn't hurt if they were looking a bit more like average people. It would give the show a lot more credibility (an yes, even if it's a horror/mystery-show there's such a thing as credibility).

Now to the things I like: I love the earnest moments between Sam and Dean. It's in those conversations when the show really starts to shine. It's when you learn about their characters, when you get to know them and the way each of them thinks. I like the alludes to their past, tiny hints that show you how they have become the men they are.

It's heart rending to see them in those moments, forlorn, when they are nothing more than two boys, searching desperately for their father.

The dialogue is written very well, and the actors put it into practise probably the best way possible. It's enough to make up for all the flaws of the show.