IMDb > "Supernatural" Bugs (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 8 of 265 Episodes | Next »

Not the Best Episode

Author: katierose295 from United States
16 March 2008

This is not the best "Supernatural" episode. But, it still has some cute moments. It gives us some more insight into Sam and John's relationship. Sam continues to be bitter about being -what Dean calls- the "Blonde chick from the Munsters" of the Winchester clan. He's never quite been able to fit-in with John's expectations of him. Plus, the episode shows the hurt and worry that Dean continues to hold on to regarding Sam's "abandoning" him to go to Stanford. He's always afraid that Sam might leave again and that Dean will be all alone. Still, the rest of the episode is sort of lackluster. Not very scary or interesting. Really, if you're in a hurry, you can probably skip this episode and not miss much story wise.

This episode revolves around bugs attacking a new housing development, called Oasis Plains. Construction is delayed when beetles kill a construction worker. It looks like mad-cow disease, and Sam & Dean are instantly suspicious that something supernatural is afoot. Pretending to be interested in buying a house for their poor, aging father they meet the housing project's head-honcho, who is also the first resident of Oasis Plains. Sam feels a connection to the guy's 16 year old son, Matt, who is a collector of bugs and often clashes with his father. When a realtor is killed by Spiders in her steam shower, Sam & Dean begin to suspect that there "Willard" type figure is controlling the bugs and their first suspect is Matt.

Turns out Matt's an innocent by-stander to the bug attack, though. It's really a Native American curse working to punish people living on the land. The new housing development is right on top of the land that the Native American's were driven off of. Sam & Dean interview a college professor and a old Native American guy who tells them the legend. They the boys head off to evacuate Matt and his family. The father doesn't believe them, though, and the bugs attack too quickly for them to get out. They have to defend the house from the bugs, holding them off until dawn. Afterwards, the father promises to close down the housing development. Sam, seeing Matt and his dad getting closer, tells Dean that he wants to find John to mend fences. Dean promises that they will.

There are some good parts with this episode. I really like the way Sam identifies with Matt. His advice to the kid to just get through the next 2 years and then escape to college, really confuses and hurts Dean. Dean is so wrapped in following John's orders that he really doesn't understand Sam's resistance. Plus, Dean has been standing between John and Sam in their fights for so long that he can see how they're BOTH sort of wrong. When Sam is annoyed that John never told him that he was proud or him, or thinking of him while he was away, Dean just quietly remarks that "The phones work both ways, Sam." He also explains that John does care about Sam and checked on Sam all the time when he was at college. Of course, I'm willing to take bets that anytime John secretly visited Sam at Stanford, it was at Dean's prodding. Honestly, I'd be surprised if anymore than a week of two went by without Dean checking in and making sure Sammy was okay. But, still, it's a cute moment. Also, I like the realtors trying to sell Sam & Dean the house, first assuming that they are a couple and then that they need the house for their "elderly" father. Dean's smirk when he calls Sam "honey" makes me smile. Finally, Dean in the steam shower is just too adorable. First of all HE'S adorable, so that helps, but it's also just a cute little glimpse of his life. He really appreciates little things, because he has such a spartan life-style. The shower is "Awesome!" to him, because he spends most of his life in the Impala or in cheap hotels.

There are some problems with this episode. First of all, I'm going to assume that a long time passed while they were in the attic, hiding from the bugs. But it's edited to seem like there were only about 4 minutes between midnight and dawn. Also, the bugs are sort of fake-y and not particularly scary. Not a lot of supernatural events actually occur. It's mostly Sam & Dean talking to Matt about bugs and investigating Native American burial grounds. Honestly, it can get a little dull in places.

My favorite part of the episode: Sam and Dean arguing about John. Sam is bitter because he wanted to play soccer rather than go bow-hunting. Dean's baffled, "But, bow-hunting's an important skill." Just cracks me up. He just doesn't get it. On a side note, in season three's "Bad Day at Black Rock," we learn that Sam really did get to play soccer, which is a cute touch.

Perhaps the writers had their 8-year-olds write this episode!

Author: Sarang Mahajan from India
24 August 2009

The storyline for this episode is weak and not worked well upon. Sam and Dean, thanks to the writers who have depended on co-incidental rather than an intelligent mystery-solving story, get lucky throughout the story and use none of their daemon-hunting skills that the show is all about. The way the two get from one step to another on their way to unveil the mystery is totally uninteresting. Replace Sam and Dean with me and my accountant brother and still the episode would be believable. What's more, no imagination has been put in creating the evil spirit here. It's not just unoriginal but badly adapted from whichever of the numerous sources it has been taken from.

All in all, just an episode to fill the spot.

Ending really ruined it for me

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
20 November 2012

Basically what could have been an average episode of Supernatural about killer bugs due to a Native American Curse gets ruined by an awful ending. Let me explain. Sam and Dean get the warning that nobody living on the land will survive later that night, they warn them and go to their house about after midnight. They get interrupted by the bugs and run inside the house and try and get away from them.

Apparently they go up to the attic and stop the bugs from getting in with poor results. Soon in about 5 or 6 minutes of hiding from the bugs (if that) the sun is high in the sky... Okay I have suspended my disbelief as far as hairy midgets turning apartment buildings into forests (Troll), A woman giving birth to a full-grown man (Xtro), A girl being able to get shot and come out on top in a high-speed car chase (The Invisible)... well you get it right? I can suspend my disbelief for anything (even that an evil wizard's weakness is Chicken eggs in Return to Oz) but I feel the writers wanted to write the easiest way out of the episode as possible.

Okay I have just had my rant. Aside from that this episode does give insight into Sam's relationship with his father and him identifying with Matt and also how Dean interacts with him. That was actually the best part of the episode. However even that isn't too special. The viewers might pick up on that when he interacts with his father later in this season.

Overall: skip the ending and make one up for yourself - it'll be better than the ones the writers came up with.

Have these writers never heard of Google?

Author: alis-gray from Minneapolis
6 May 2016

Swamps. In Oklahoma.

Seriously guys. Have these writers never been on a road trip? Locations matter! The concept of a horror show with the framework of a road trip through America was a great idea. The execution here was fantastically sloppy.

Very disappointing.

I hear this show became good at some later point, but my disbelief was sprained beyond interest by this episode. It wasn't quite as bad as Hook Man, but it was pretty close. I'm familiar with the idea of television conventions that don't reflect reality, like people who die instantly falling to their knees instead of keeling over flat. But if you can be bothered to put in some basic realism, it will make your fantasy writing so much stronger. Sigh.

"Bugs" has bugs.

Author: hotphoenix85
5 February 2015

I was not a fan of this episode. Aside from the unnecessary filler drama which seemed extremely out of place, the episode also was filled with clichés, bad graphics, and plot holes.

The main characters failed to solve anything at the end of the episode, which infuriatingly ended when time suddenly went from midnight to sunrise in the course of 5 minutes.

The characters were dull, bland and cookie cutter. Strict dad, relatable youth, wise old professor, bland bland bland. The acting was decent, I think that the actors did the best that they could with the roles but there's only so much you can do to save a supernatural thriller that refuses to thrill, instead it was like watching two guys work out their daddy issues with a bad B movie plot happening on the side.

I have decided that this show is not for me after watching this episode, as I strongly believe that 5th grader could write a more cohesive story.

Native American curse

Author: zombiehigh18 from Egypt
28 October 2011

Thank God the writers apologized later for the bad writing of this episode. The brothers investigate a series of deaths in a new neighborhood cause by Bugs only to discover that the neighborhood is on a cursed land.

This episode has some upsides but definitely some down ones. On the Upside we know some things about the brothers and their background:

1- Dean watches Oprah.

2- Sam argues Dean about how they make money but Dean is baffled and doesn't see anything wrong about hustling people only thinks it's fun.

3- People always think the brother are a couple and Dean takes it lightly with some humor.

4- Dean so embracing his life, so dedicated to his family that he "take his family over normal any day".

5- Sam relating to Matt, comparing his relationship with his father to his. And we know that John and Sam always had issues cause Sam never liked that life unlike Dean who was perfect to their father. (It annoys me that Sam always relates to people who are the black sheep of the family always wants to get away though he knows that he is not normal and he never really fit in like he said in the "Skin" episode.) Sam says to Matt that in 2 years he will break free from his father when he goes to college but Dean is annoyed saying "The kid should stick with his family" which shows that Dean is still angry that Sam left him behind to go to college and is worried that might happen again.

6- Dean stops and enjoys the small things like the free food and the steam shower, things he doesn't get every day.

7- The scene where Dean tells Sam that their father always used to check on Sam and make sure that he is okay while Sam was in college, was nice and the look on Sam's face when he realized that was good. (But I really doubt that Dean was really talking about their father rather than himself. I think Dean was the one who used to watch out on Sam like he always did since forever. I think that Dean was thinking very high of his father that he was ready to lie for him).

8- The last scene when Sam said that he wants to find John and apologize to him and Dean says that they will find him and Sam will apologize then within 5 minutes they will fight again. (Dean has been standing between them all his life trying to calm them down trying to make them listen to each other. Sam and John are much alike, both hot-headed, unlike what we though from the beginning that Dean was more like his father).

On the downside the episode has some flaws:

1- That Travis guy is really slow. I mean how long does it take him to get some rope on a construction site?

2- The Realtor, Wasn't she supposed to freak out when a spider walked on her face? All she had to do is shoo it!

3- The writers really failed at the end, the sun came up very quickly and the bugs just went away, that just doesn't seem right.

My vote is 5 out of 10.

Cursed Land

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 December 2006

In Oklahoma, a gas company employee is killed by insects in the housing development Oasis Plans. Dean and Sam decide to drive to the compound to investigate the event. They go to a open barbecue in the house of the owner of the lands, Larry, and meet a real state agent, pretending they were interested in buying a house. Sam becomes close to Larry's son Matt, who collects bugs. When the agent dies with spider bites in her bathroom, Dean and Sam discloses that the area is a land cursed by Indians many years ago, when they were annihilated by the American soldiers. The two brothers try to convince Larry to leave the place to save the life of his wife and Matt.

"Bugs" uses the idea of the biblical locust plague, but as a curse of Indians. In this episode, Sam shows a great identification with Matt, because of his troubled relationship with his father. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Insetos" ("Insects")

Brothers against Evil: Bugs!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
19 April 2007

Personally I loved "Supernatural" ever since the pilot, but it's still very encouraging and stimulating to see how the show gets better with each and every episode! By the time of this eighth episode, the two young brothers evolved into convincing & heroic crime battlers, the suspense increases every week, the scripts refer more and more to older horror classics and the stories provide new and creative types of supernatural menace every time! I feel like labeling every new episode I see as the best one thus far, but the truth is all episodes pretty much are of equally high quality. "Bugs" is definitely a personal favorite, as it combines the tension of supernatural horror with the old-fashioned fun of nature-revolting creature features. When two lethal accidents are caused by seemly harmless insects on a location where estate agents are building a new housing complex, it simply looks like a bizarre coincidence at first. Sam and Dean are nevertheless investigating the case, because the state of the victims' bodies indicate that the little critters weren't behaving normally when they attacked. After a third casualty died from spider bites, the brothers – together with a bug-obsessed teenager – discover that the insects are revolting against humanity because of an ancient Indian curse. This installment in Eric Kripke's fabulous show features some of the best special effects ever shown on TV. Especially the humongous swarms of bees and cockroaches are staggering. The revelation of the Indian curse is fascinating and another brilliant detail is how every episode enlightens us a little more about Sam & Dean's backgrounds. For the avid & experienced horror fans among us, there's a lovely mentioning of the classic 70's rat-shocker "Willard".