"Starsky and Hutch" Huggy Bear and the Turkey (1977)

« Prev | 43 of 92 Episodes | Next »

An interesting comic experiment

Author: nk chada (naresh1969@aol.com) from Belfast UK
14 April 2014

I have fond memories of this episode. Starsky and Hutch were strangely largely absent. Instead Huggy teams up with a friend to solve a case. It's essentially an attempt to create a comic detective pilot. I think it worked and was very funny as a sort of crude blaxploitation genre parody. There is good chemistry between Huggy and the Turkey and lots of interesting comical African American characters. It's a shame it didn't take off as it had a lot of potential with some further refinement. Maybe the TV audience just wasn't ready for an inter racial comic detective duo. One bi product of the pilot not being picked up was at least Huggy continued in the main Starsky and Hutch series. One of the greatest comic characters of 70s cop shows.

So bad it's bad

Author: Denise Lf from Michigan
12 August 2016

I really didn't want to watch or review this episode, which was an attempt to launch the Huggy character into a spin-off as a private investigator. But I did say I was going to review every episode of this show, so I guess I had no choice. So, for the sake of completeness, here goes:

The story is bad. The dialog is bad. The acting is bad. The gags are bad.

Did I mention the dialog is bad? At one point, Huggy's partner calls him "Watermelon Man". That really should be all I have to say.

When PMG and DS come on the screen in the final few scenes and act like Starsky and Hutch, the whole tone changes with them there. I can't even explain it. It seems impossible that even they could lend any credence to this wacky episode. I'm becoming more and more convinced that PMG and DS were truly filled with some sort of ridiculous magic. Everyone else is just plain lame.