IMDb > "Stargate SG-1" In the Line of Duty (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Stargate SG-1" In the Line of Duty (1998)

« Prev | 23 of 213 Episodes | Next »

One of the best

Author: lothos-370-690020 from United Kingdom
14 December 2012

In the line of duty is one of my favourite Stargate episodes and in my opinion one of the best and most important episodes in the earlier seasons. This due to it's pivotal role in introducing the Tokra, the rebel Goauld, a main source of future story plots and key characters, as well as providing a decent explanation for how Carter's character manages to quickly become so adept at creating and using new technologies, most of which are of alien origin.

She is briefly taken against her will as host to an alien parasite with hundreds, perhaps thousands of years of experience. Although it is not directly mentioned in later episodes, I find it hard to believe it is just a coincidence that the chief character responsible for finding all the scientific and technological solutions to almost every subsequent problem occurring throughout the series was relying solely on her own skills and abilities. I don't think it detracting from the charter's well established genius intellect, but instead provides something missing from most sci-fi stories which is a plausible explanation for a heavily suspicions line of events, namely the aforementioned super duper alien tech skill-set.

The episode starts dramatically with a firefight between the main characters and a number of Goauld death guilders, (alien fighters for those new to the series). Admittedly they use stock footage of the gliders from the original film, but part of the reason I appreciate this episode so much is the great story, which doesn't rely on special effects to tell itself. Another reason I appreciate this episode so much is that it sets up core beliefs and practices relied upon throughout the entire series by the Tokra. These include choice on behalf of the host, the ability to leave hosts alive, entering through the mouth, and so on. The list could be quite long and that's part of the genius here, in a few short conversations the writers included the basis for the Tokra Bible, if you like. The facts are seamlessly included into the story and are stuck to from then on, because there was no need to correct or embellish them, as so often happens during the evolution of TV shows.

A great episode with an open ending which paves the way to one of my favourite races in the series.

Sam takes the lead here

Author: trashgang from Midian
23 May 2013

The second entry in season 2 and it shows that the budget was bigger and that the stories itself were better too. On part of the effects they aren't based on clothes or make-up like in season one. Here we do actually have real effects done while using the ring to kill or influence people.

Still, they used stock footage from the flick to start with a Goa'uld death guilders attacking a planet were SG-1 is actually on. They are trying to help the wounded and by doing so Sam is given some infection while giving mouth-to-mouth. Sam has a Goa'uld in her body. But that's not the only problem for SG-1, once on their base there are other Goa'ulds walking around trying to kill Sam.

A very nice story with some good effects.

Gore 0,5/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5