IMDb > "Stargate SG-1" Hathor (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Stargate SG-1" Hathor (1997)

« Prev | 13 of 213 Episodes | Next »

The Goa'uld Queen

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 May 2015

In Mexico, when two members of an expedition finds an Egyptian sarcophagus in a digging in a Maya temple, they accidentally revive the the sex goddess Hathor, who is the mother of the Goa'uld. The sarcophagus is sent to the Stargate Command and Hathor seduces all the men in the base. Captain Carter assumes the command and together with Dr. Janet Fraiser and the other women in the base, they organize to retake the base. However the men are ready to give their lives to Hathor, forming a human shield to protect her and Hathor intends to use them to rule Earth. How can the women win such powerful opponent?

"Hathor" is one of the funniest episodes of Stargate, with a good story of seduction and power. Sam and Janet are the lead stars of this highly entertaining show. It is funny also to see the men without no recollections. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Hathor"

This episode made me stop watching SG-1

Author: baal_2
4 December 2014

The episode starts out good, but I couldn't get over the fact that at some point Sam Carter had the opportunity to shoot Hathor when she was busy putting Jack in the water tank filled with Goa'uld larvae. She just stood there watching and waiting till Hathor left.

There was absolutely no reason for her not to shoot, if she did Hathor never would have destroyed the healing sarcophagus. Imagine the great benefits for SGC of having such a device. Also, the doctor puts her unsanitized hand in Jack stomach. Come on.

This episode made me stop watching SG-1. It was the third bad episode in a row. I'll just re-watch star trek to fuel my sci-fi needs.

Everything you were better off not knowing about the Goa'uld

Author: owlaurence from France
19 May 2011

This is a really good episode with a lot of twists and strangeness, and it also reveals a lot about Goa'ulds --rather too much, really! You learn about how Jaffa are created (eck), how Goa'uld reproduce (yuck), and even why they all seem to prefer human hosts. And Daniel continues his trend of always falling for women who have (or have had) snakes in their heads I've counted five so far, which is a record considering how little romance the characters get. I mean, this episode is about the most "libidinous" of the lot and hints are as bad as it gets!

This is also the first time so far we've seen a Goa'uld conversing normally with humans, but Hathor quickly reveals her true colours --bright pink. (By the way, I am willing to believe that she's drop-dead gorgeous, but that would probably be more obvious without the orange Crazy Horse wig.) Despite the rather unsubtle pink glow that shows Hathor seducing men, the situation is fairly well handled, as we see the anti-Hathor side growing more and more confused (and more and more female-only). Once all the men have been conquered, it's left to women to save the day, and I just love it. This is what Emancipation got wrong: here the gender issue is treated with humour and second degree, and it feels so much more satisfying (well, to me at least).

To sum up, there are many fascinating (and disgusting) revelations in that episode, along with a major dose of comedy and a few good action scenes. In my book, that makes it really worth a viewing.

A fun episode in spite of its flaws

Author: GusF from Ireland
3 April 2013

Good ol' Hathor, the first female Goa'uld to have a speaking part on the series. I know that this isn't a very popular episode but it is outrageous fun! It's certainly the silliest episode that wasn't intended by the producers to be silly. It reminds me of a bad third season episode of "Star Trek: The Original Series" or any given episode of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century." It really feels like it was made in 1977 instead of 1997. It appeals to the part of me that likes slightly trashy sci-fi! I can well imagine these events being (only slightly) adapted by Martin for an episode of "Wormhole X-treme!" It does have some nice comic moments though and I love Don S. Davis' performance as the essentially love sick General Hammond. Suanne Braun gives a great performance as Hathor as well, never going over the top and creating an entertaining (if fairly camp) character in the process.

After "Emancipation" and "The First Commandment", this is arguably the series' third Sam-centric episode and it's a shame that none of them are exactly of stellar quality. However, at least she is portrayed as a strong, intelligent and capable woman, as is Janet in the first episode in which she has any action scenes.

Daniel certainly gets put through the wringer in this episode, being, well, essentially raped by Hathor in order so that he can provide the "code of life" to produce new symbiotes. Given his hatred of the Goa'uld, I only imagine how badly he must have felt about that when he regained his senses.

girl power

Author: trashgang from Midian
15 April 2013

It took me a while to accept the cult status of Stargate but from now on I really enjoy the show. The first episodes really had it flows but after Colonel Jack, Daniel and Teal'c had their own episode this time it's Carter who plays the lead.

This episode takes us again deeper into the Jaffa and Goa'uld connection and explains a lot more than I thought. When a Goa'uld called Hathor (one of the mothers of the Goa'uld) enters earth she immediately seduces all men by using some kind of purple glow. Once the men are seduced and protecting Hathor the women of the military base take control to destroy the female Goa'uld.

It's the first time that we do have some sexy shots going on in Stargate by Suanne Braun (Hathor) and she actually gives a believable and strong performance. It even becomes a bit cheesy when she's mating with Jack and his belly has to be controlled of a larva was put into him.

Some nice effects here and there. So strange that this episode is hated by the lovers of Stargate. For me one of the better episodes so far into season one.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5