IMDb > "Star Trek: Voyager" State of Flux (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Star Trek: Voyager" State of Flux (1995)

« Prev | 10 of 170 Episodes | Next »

The Seska episode

Author: ashleybmeyer from San Francisco, CA, US
12 January 2012

Another murder-mystery-style episode with Tuvok as a featured sleuth.

The most awkward fight scene in the history of Voyager, involving two Kazon guys, and a Tuvok and a Janeway.

But this is made up for by some quality, intense Janeway-decision-making scenes, and Chakotay's first remotely romantic scene in the series.

And in spite of whatever we might thing of Seska, she makes a kind of actually really compelling argument to Janeway in one of the final scenes.

As usual, best embodiment and delivery come from Janeway and Torres, with Seska's and Carey's deliveries being sometimes painful.

A traitor on board

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
18 June 2010

While they are gathering food on a planet the Kazon appear and the captain orders everybody return to the ship immediately. One person is missing though; apparently Seska didn't receive the recall as she was in a cave picking mushrooms. Just as Chakotay finds her the are ambushed by two Kazon and Chakotay is injured. Soon after moving away from the planet they receive a distress signal from the Kazon, although suspicious an away team is sent over and find only one of them is still alive. Strangely what killed them appears to have been Star Fleet technology. The logical conclusion is that somebody on board Voyager has given the technology to the Kazon. The investigation leads to two likely suspects; Seska and Lt Carey. Chakotay is understandably upset that a second member of his Maquis crew could have been an infiltrator. When Seska returns to the Kazon ship to retrieve the component she is injured and her medical check up suggests she isn't who she claims to be although she has an explanation for this.

This was a good episode which sees Voyager lose a member of its crew. The first time I watched this episode I was unsure as to whether Carey or Seska would be the traitor; the evidence appeared to point to the latter but she always had an explanation leading me to suspect that Carey would be the traitor after all the Maquis had already been infiltrated by one person, a second seemed unlikely... as to who the traitor is; I won't spoil that. It is notable that this episode sees Neelix introduce the Leola root to the ship's menu; a food which while healthy will lead many complaints about the food in future episodes.

Pretty good but with a couple minor quibbles.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
4 February 2015

The idea of having a traitor aboard the Voyager is sound and made for interesting viewing. Unfortunately, it also was not executed quite as well as it could have been in hindsight.

After narrowly escaping a Kazon force on some planet, Voyager encounters a Kazon ship in space. This ship is dead--and only one member of the crew is possibly going to survive. What caused this is a shocker for the crew--the Kazon did this to themselves when they were trying to install new hardware onto their ship....Federation designed hardware!! Obviously they got it from the Federation and since Voyager is the only Federation ship anywhere near Kazon space, it's logical to assume someone is passing this material on to this warlike and annoying race.

As I said, I liked the idea of a traitor. I just wish that the show had led up to this better--now just tossed it out without much leading up to it. You did see this evil character display some rather amoral thinking in a previous episode--but that was it. So, there wasn't a lot of finesse associated with this plot. Additionally, considering that the people investigating thought she was a traitor, don't you think they would have done a MUCH better job keeping her confined at the end of the show?! This was pretty dumb. Heck, putting her in handcuffs or punching her in the nose would have been a lot more effective and her escape was pretty obviously done to facilitate her return as a nemesis. Again, the idea isn't bad--but how she escaped justice seemed silly and made Tuvok, Chakotay and the rest look addle-brained.

A traitor among us

Author: Paularoc from United States
31 July 2012

After receiving a distress call from a Kazon ship, the away team find only one Kazon still alive and equipment that appears to be Star Fleet technology. An investigation determines that the equipment is indeed Star Fleet and that some one on board the Voyager must have given it to the Kazon. It soon becomes evident that only Lt. Carey or Seska could have done so. In this episode we learn that Seska and Chakotay are former lovers and that she wishes to rekindle the romance but Chakotay does not. Lt. Carey still seems a tad bit smarmy and not entirely to be trusted. Martha Hackett was so good in her role as Seska - her looks and mannerisms were perfect. We are kept guessing until the end (just when we think we know for sure, we're thrown a curve) - is it the smarmy Carey or the weasel Seska? A good mystery.