« Prev | 62 of 176 Episodes | Next »

Darn Good Television

Author: David John Kouchnerkavich (kouch21) from Redondo Beach, CA
25 April 2006

A tour de force of the best that a television series can offer: a well written script, solid ensemble acting (including the episode's guest actors), excellent direction, and an Emmy-nominated score to boot. Specific to Star Trek, there were solid special effects including a lengthy space battle (with the Klingons), the introduction of the Ambassador-class starship (Enterprise-C), and a full-fledged time displacement. Guinan's character was also fleshed out, while at the same time endowed with even more mystery, being the only one to sense the effects of the time displacement. The episode also set up a significant long-term plot line in the series, one that wouldn't be resolved until halfway through the fifth season. There were many memorable lines throughout, most striking being the transition from "Captain's Log, Stardate" to "Military Log, Combat Date". The only thing I would have changed would have been to have Worf leading the Klingon squadron in the alternate timeline... It would have been fun to hear him say: "Federation ship: Surrender, and prepare to be boarded." Regardless, one of the best in the series, and in my opinion, one of the best single episodes of any television series.

One of the best TNG episodes.

Author: russem31 from United States
18 April 2006

ST:TNG:63 - "Yesterday's Enterprise" (Stardate: 43625.2) - this is the 15th episode of the 3rd season of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Because of a temporal disturbance, the Enterprise-C emerges 22 years into the future, thereby altering time. In this time, which only Guinan (played by Whoopi Goldberg) can detect the changes, the Federation is at war with the Klingons because the Enterprise-C missed a key battle which led to peace with them. So now, instead of Worf, now Tasha Yar (played by Denise Crosby) is back. A very sentimental and emotional episode, this is definitely one of the best if not the best of the TNG episodes.

This episode will also have wide repercussions - with the emergence of Sela, Tasha's daughter in the episode "Redepemption".

Trivia note: Worf is introduced to prune juice, a "warrior's drink". Also, Dr. Selar is mentioned and we see the Original Series movie style uniforms for the Enterprise-C crew.

A Very Powerful and Well-Done TNG

Author: basschick from l.a. california
11 May 2006

While I enjoy the show, for me this is both the most powerful and well-realized episode of all. While science fiction is supposed to be speculative fiction, television sci fi so rarely is - and when it is, it is generally very formula.

Not so this episode, with its well-drawn characters and decisions that must be made despite the fact that there are no positive options. And while I didn't care for Tasha Yar originally, the author of this episode made perfect use of her so that I not only liked her but respected the character very much.

An excellent episode that goes beyond the usual formula TV boundaries.

Incredible

Author: gritfrombray-1 from Ireland
2 March 2007

When I first watched this I was truly stunned at how brilliant the whole concept was. When the Enterprise C is bounced forward in time it alters the past dramatically and a war now rages in the present between Humanity and the Klingons. The story of 'what might have been' was excellent. Having Tasha in it was truly fascinating, and the angle of Guinan realizing she wasn't supposed to be there was brilliant writing. Whoopi is a great asset to the show and is in it only enough to enhance the show and never to steal any of the limelight! But in this particular episode, credit is due as she gave her best performance of the entire series. The sets and acting by Patrick, showing us a hardened by war Picard were fantastic. This show really picked up in this season and, after a writer's strike plagued second season, it was a welcome change. But I'm giving this a nine because of the final scene's blooper where Geordi wears the 'alternate' uniform in the ten forward scene with Guinan...

Excellent Use of the Concept of Rips in Time

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
17 August 2014

This is the ultimate decision for Picard. When another Enterprise shows up through some time fabric rip just as it is about to be destroyed by the Romulans, it becomes a problem because unless it is destroyed, it may change the circumstances of the universe. Of course, that means that an entire crew and starship needs to be given up in order to maintain a sense of order. What does one do morally? Is the loss of human life necessary? Are we to keep score when it comes to how many for how many? Casualties are often thrown out as negative statistics and people cheer. The people that die or are maimed do not cheer. Tasha Yar makes an appearance her, the first time after her death, and that death becomes a pivotal event in the decision making. Her relationship with a survivor and the captain of the Enterprise C are the link. This is true science fiction with some amazing ideas about time and the purpose of living beings as they explore the universe. Excellent in every way, though, the results may not be totally fulfilling.

A Reply To toolkien

Author: Qanqor from United States
1 January 2015

I am also one who counts this episode as the absolute best of the entire series. Others have sung its praises, and I do not feel the need to add to them. I only wanted to reply to toolkien's review, which cites an alleged plot hole. Rather than restate his argument, I'll let you go read his review (there aren't that many reviews for this episode, so it should be easy to find).

I assert that toolkien's argument holds no water. In fact, we *do* have canonical evidence that you *can't* just send a ship off into combat on autopilot. The *only* time that was ever successfully done was with the M-5 device, in TOS's "The Ultimate Computer", and we know that the M-5 experiment was ultimately a failure and no Federation ships since are equipped with one. Lacking one, it can't be done, and I shall prove it.

EXHIBIT A: I cite as evidence the third movie "The Search For Spock". In that movie, just to have the ship be controlled by a mere handful of people, Scotty has to create an automating device. This alone tells us you can't just go fly the ship somewhere on autopilot-- if you could, they wouldn't have needed Scotty's hack, they would have just set the Enterprise on autopilot and sat back and enjoyed the ride to Genesis. But what's more, Scotty's jury-rigging eventually *breaks down* when faced with the challenge of combat. This makes it extra-clear that combat is too hard to be auto-piloted.

EXHIBIT B: I cite the TOS episode "This Side Of Paradise". At one point in this episode, the entire crew has mutinied and abandoned the ship, choosing instead to beam down to a paradise-like planet. Kirk is left alone on the ship, everyone else is gone. And here is his *exact quote*, from his captain's log: "The ship... can be maintained in orbit for several months, but even with automatic controls, I cannot pilot her alone. In effect, I am marooned here." So where's your autopilot now?

In short, there is hard evidence that a starship cannot be auto-piloted, especially in combat, and I am aware of *no* evidence which suggests it can (again, except for the M-5). But even if we speculate that by Enterprise C's time, they had developed *some* ability to autopilot, there's every good reason to posit that it might not be very good, especially at combat. Keep in mind: the *whole point* is to convince the Klingons that the Federations acted honorably. If the ship went back with no crew, just on autopilot, it is reasonable to think that the Klingons would not have been impressed by the half-assed effort that the automation system might have been able to produce. Indeed, it might well have been Yar's tactical expertise *itself* which pushed them over the line enough to win the Klingons' respect. We don't really know for sure, but if the episode wants to lean in that direction, it's on sturdy enough ground that you can't label that a plot hole.

Past events affect the future time line

Author: CCsito from United States
26 August 2010

This episode involves the crew coming upon a rift in time that allows an earlier version of the Enterprise ship to travel into the future which then alters the time line of events since the time that the earlier ship version "disappeared" from their own time period. Only Guinan realizes that everything has changed on board the current ship. The once friendly Klingons have reverted back to being enemies. As the older Enterprise crew tries to deal with being in the future and the current crew tries to determine the impact of the past people living in the present, it brings to mind the season ending episode of Season 1 and the episode where Picard sees a duplicate of himself in the "Times Squared" episode and also seems to presage on the series finale episode as well. Picard has the same dilemma involving whether to return things back to where they should be or if doing that would be the wrong decision. Evenutally, he decides to send the doomed earlier Enterprise back to its own time period. In this episode, Tasha Yar returns and Riker is killed.

RE, 'A Nice Episode With A Sizeble Plot Hole'

Author: karcreat2 from United States
29 May 2013

MINOR SPOILERS:

LOL...did you FORGET that the CREW was needed to actually fight the battle against the Romulans when it returned?

They needed Tasha for tactical, etc...

Sending the ship back on auto pilot would not have accomplished that...there was NO 'plot hole', sorry...

All in all, one of the best 'alternate future/time travel' episodes in any Star Trek series, remarkably well written, acted, directed...and Guinan's final lines were pitch perfect. I literally had tears in my eyes as I was smiling away at the conclusion to this one...bravo.

10 out of 10 from me.

This episode helps to establish the completely inexplicable return of Tasha Yar.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
16 November 2014

At about the end of the first season, Denise Crosby requested she be written off the show, as her part was VERY limited. I would certainly agree, as her role consisted of saying "yes, Captain", being angry or talking about the rape gangs on her home planet. Otherwise, she was a non-entity. Now, for some odd reason, she's back. I have no idea whose idea it was, but following this return, she'd be back for future episodes as well--something which never worked for me.

The Enterprise inexplicably meets a previous version of the Enterprise in space. Somehow, the old version C was transported 22 years in the future. But this isn't the only change, as apparently this time shift also completely changed the timeline--resulting in Lt. Yar being alive and well on the Enterprise D as well as a long and super-bloody war between the Klingons. 40,000,000,000 lives have been lost in this horrific fight and it's lasted since about the time the Enterprise C disappeared. In fact, they eventually come to realize that if they can send that ship back, then the timeline will change and perhaps the war will never occur at all. Oddly, Guinan realizes that there is a problem and the old Enterprise must go back--but many of the other crew members want the ship to stay and help in the hopeless fight against the Klingons.

While the episode is a very interesting what if sort of show, it also re- introduces Yar. She's actually fine here--but her eventual return as a Romulan (?!) made no sense at all and seemed contrived as well as a low- point for the series. I just wish in hindsight that they'd given Ms. Crosby better material from the start, as this weird, abortive return just felt strange and a bit silly.

an interesting "what if"

Author: Jeffrey Welch (subego@aol.com) from United States
15 December 2008

I have often thought that it would have been great had the writers of this episode added one simple detail: what if the Enterprise C or the Enterprise D had dropped a log recorder buoy as the rift were closing and before the time line was corrected? There have been precedents of this happening in past episodes, In the original series, "The Cage," the reason Capt Pike investigates a planet is because they find a ships recorder floating in space. In other episodes, Capt Kirk has copies of the ships log jettisoned when he felt they were soon to be destroyed.

In this scenario, since both Enterprises' know that the future in which they came to meet was not supposed to take place, either one of them could have left a record of their existence in THAT reality. This would have come in especially handy since in future episodes Capt pichard is confronted by someone who is a direct result of that momentary confluence of the two time periods from this episode.