"Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Naked Now (#1.2)"

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" The Naked Now (1987)

« Prev | 2 of 176 Episodes | Next »

The continuing starting troubles of the new starship Enterprise...

Author: Robert Schneider from Germany
15 September 2008

This episode was clearly intended to establish "The next Generation" by creating a link to its predecessor "The Original Series". To fans of the latter the scenario is quite well known and it might be fun to watch the new crew deal with the problem in their own way and exploring the new characters giving in to their hidden desires while infected.

To me, this show will always be remembered as the one that started the enervating and ridiculous career of "super brain" Wesley Crusher-Roddenberry (for it was Gene Roddenberry's intention to create Wesley after some of his own childhood experiences and actually as someone for the show's younger audience to identify with). To me that character was one of Star Trek's darkest hours and every episode giving him a bigger part I just can't stand because he's able to ruin even some good scripts.

Interestingly it's Patrick Stewart who obviously has some difficulty getting into his character here. I don't know if it is intended but all his scenes as the infected Captain are horrible because of his overacting of an overly stiff and inhibited Captain trying to be funny. But when you're really drunk, you don't have to act like you are you just behave differently and Stewart isn't able to deliver that. Riker greatly improved his performance to the pilot and the others do quite well also. The role of Troi, who was just awful in the beginning, was greatly reduced to some lines but even that reduced part seemed too much for Marina Sirtis, who isn't able to bring her character to life. Her lines just sound like read from the script without emotion (just like in a bad school play).

All in all this second episode of The next Generation couldn't help to start off the season.

Finally some remarks I wanted to add:

- Why is Riker sitting on a console while talking to Data on the bridge, ordering him to do research? Are those 24th century Computers multi role furniture as well? If you are sitting on your computer keyboard it certainly would't do it much good

- When Geordi is confined to sickbay, why doesn't his leaving set off an alarm or is recognized by a nurse or other medical personnel(where are the nurses anyway? Well, I surely know that it's a budget problem).

- When LaForge visits Wesley in his quarters, why doesn't he recognize that his communicator is missing?

- When Data informs the captain of his research results, the computer graphic shows a model of the Constitution class-refit version of the first Enterprise. But the incident happened during their first five year mission (first season of TOS) before the refit.

- Where does this hissing sound come from when the "disease" is spread?

- When Wesley simulates Picard's voice and orders the chief engineer to the bridge, why doesn't she acknowledge the order. Had she done it there wouldn't have been any problem with leaving engineering unoccupied. Everyone who is ordered to report to somewhere acknowledges the order. That's Starfleet standard procedure and clearly visible in multiple episodes

- The greatest flaw of all: Why is Data affected by a biochemical compound based on water and carbon. He is an android that means robotic and hasn't any organic parts (like the Borg for example)

- Last but not least, how does Weley regain reason when he has the idea to turn the tractor beam into a repulsor beam. That's surely a rather complex thing to do and he does it before he is "cured" by the hypo spray.

All in all a typically Roddenberry TNG-script with a clearly stated anti-alcohol attitude, much too moralistic and clumsy (don't get me wrong, I usually like Star Trek's moral edge but Roddenberry's pointed finger I just can't stand).

These are the continuing starting troubles of the new starship Enterprise...

a brilliant intro

Author: ozq from Australia
2 February 2006

When the crew of the Starship Enterprise find a ship adrift in space, they need to find out not only what killed the crew, but what appears to be affecting their own crew as well....

This episode was actually the first one filmed, and it's certainly a rather intimate one to begin with! Probably why the cast became so tight knit over the 7 year run.

There's humour abounding and several scenes now considered "classic". It was the first ever episode I watched of Star Trek (I never saw Original as a kid) and what an introduction! It led to a love of both the series and Data in particular.

Definitely one not to miss!

A great future by making a connection with the past

Author: russem31 from United States
7 April 2006

ST:TNG:03 - "The Naked Now" (Stardate: 41209.2) - the 3rd episode in the series (if you consider the pilot "Encounter At Farpoint" being a 2 part episode), this is one of those crossover episodes from the original series to bring a sense of "Star Trek" to this new series. In this episode, the crew becomes infected with a intoxicating element as it happened in the original series aboard Kirk's ship in the 1966 episode "The Naked Time". You get to see the characters, well, OUT of character (to see how a conservative Picard let's down his emotional defenses, i.e. expressing his love for Dr. Crusher - which will become a key focal character interaction as the series progresses). Oh and look out for the "interaction" between Data and Tasha - an event that Data will recount during his discussion 9 years later with the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact!

D-: Awkward rewrite of a TOS episode.

Author: Zeke Pliskin from United Kingdom
12 October 2009

After a reasonably promising start our new Enterprise crew are thrust ever backwards into a clumsy rehashing of an old TOS episode that I wasn't too much of a fan of the first time around.

This episode easily takes the cake for "weakest episode of TNG", and if it weren't for the equally poor Voyager effort "Threshold" might well be considered the worst story ever written for the franchise. It shows us some of the problems the early seasons had: Picard changing from sympathetic and controlled to barking orders at people, Riker still too much of a Kirk clone for his own good and Wesley being the cocky kid genius that is about as welcome as Scrappy was to Scooby-Doo.

If you've seen the original episode "The Naked Time", you'll know what to expect. Crew finds virus, virus makes people giddy with joy and hijinx like they're drunk, virus spreads rapidly and is immune to old remedies. Embarrassing situations ensue.

Cringeworthy humour can work given the right script and actors (see The Office UK and Peep Show) but for all the strengths of the team, it falls flat here, with a lot of things unintentionally hilarious and some others painful to watch.

I think the scene with Data and Tasha sums it up; "it never happened".

Fun and entertaining!

Author: gritfrombray-1 from Ireland
25 April 2007

When the majority of the crew are infected with a Psi2000 type virus they all start acting weird and/or jumping into bed with each other! I was a tad irked that such a young show was stealing ideas from it's predecessor at such an early stage but I'm glad to see how wrong I was to be worried! These guys were working well together and we are only on the second episode!! Patrick and Brent are brilliant in this when infected and are genuinely funny. The final solution to their impending jeopardy is a brilliantly conceived idea and gave Wesley a nod at such an early stage of the show. In a nutshell, a fun episode that escapes from all the usual tech babble and just has a little fun!

I want to kill Wesley Crusher!

Author: matt_boing_kpow from South West England
15 September 2012

I have recently decided to go through all the TNG episodes in order. Of course we all know the first few seasons weren't great. I got through Encounter At Farpoint okay, even though it was not the best of the Star Trek pilots.

This episode is your typical average opening season race against time to defeat an alien disease/infection before everyone on board dies! Specifically an homage to the original series', "The Naked Time" helps bridge the two series together.

It starts off okay establishing the weekly plot format. Marina Sirtis instantly improved from her over-acting in the previous episode and we learn more about the new crew and how they and the Galaxy-Class starship function. However, the nature of the disease in this episode requires the cast to act as if drunk, which never really works convincingly in drama, and predictably the performances, not helped by the poor script, become embarrassing! The longer the episode goes on, the worse it gets.

A major chunk of this episode is devoted to Wesley Crusher, who not only is a major part of the problem that the main characters have to get by in order to survive, but holds all the answers to their survival, thanks to Wesley's "genius!" I have no idea why Gene Roddenberry wanted to be represented by such a smug, snot-nosed, vomit-inducing, detestable character as Wesley Crusher! He is by far the most annoying and worst character in all of Trek, possibly in all of TV and Will Wheaton admits it! I know he's a kid, but at least Jake and Nog are likable and funny in DS9 and grow up to be quite respectable characters. I should not have to boo main characters we are "supposed to" like in any Star Trek.

I thought "Babel" in DS9 was bad (a similar type of episode), but at least that had some good dialogue, character interaction and progression. The Naked Now is dire on almost every front! Data contracting the virus is another major fail, and btw, space-mom Bev Crusher suddenly comes up with a cure at the end! And yet the captain still insists on giving Wes some credit for his genius despite the ship being full of highly qualified Starfleet officers who should know better! Yuk! The end moralising reminds me of the old He-Man episodes I used to watch when I was six years old!

If you're looking to watch random individual TNG episodes, avoid this one like the plague! If you're going through the series, this is one you will have to endure, and there'll be many more (especially the Wes-heavy episodes)! I can't wait for when TNG starts to get good at the end of the third season!

Sequel/Remake Of 1966 Star Trek -The Naked Time - Episode

Author: StuOz
26 November 2016

The Enterprise crew seem like they are intoxicated.

Being a massive fan of classic Star Trek, I welcomed this follow- up/remake with open arms and after watching it, I felt like more direct re-makes should have been made.

Who could forget that early scene where Picard mentions Captain Kirk going though all this years ago. This bit nicely lines up old Trek with TNG.

This episode gets all sorts of reactions from fans and cast members, many like it while others say it is terrible.

And finally, I would just like to make the point that the Enterprise uniforms looked better in season's one and two. Too bad they changed them in season three.

Wowsers

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
26 April 2016

I think I caught this one on rerun back in the late '80s. My earliest memory of TNG was Data's high-speed repair of the isolinear chips in main engineering. "What the hell is happening" crossed my young mind - which is actually a great way to describe 'The Naked Now'. It is phenomenally puerile, especially since it's the first series episode. It makes you wonder how the show even made it past the first season at all. An away team brings back an infection that deadens inhibitions - which means the cast, one by one, goes full-on drunk. Wesely hijacks the ship (yeah), the engineering chief takes it apart, Data and Tasha bang, leaving Riker to step in as manly force of leadership - which I'm all for, just not in an episode that's, at best, inadvisable.

Some clunky first steps, to say the least.

"The Naked Data and Tasha"

Author: XweAponX from United States
19 November 2014

This was the first "Official" mission for the Enterprise-D.

To tell you the truth, I cringed when I first saw this. I agree with some of the other reviews, that this is a poorly adapted "rewrite" of "The Naked Time" from TOS. Or so it seemed when I first saw it.

Getting that out of the way, this episode does introduce a few interesting things. First off, that Data is "Fully Functional" and that when you prick him, he leaks.

Season 1 and particularly this episode, was more of an exploration for the writers and actors - I like revisiting this to see the depth and scope of Trek and how it progressed. The 90's was the decade of Trek, as three major shows occupied our TV screens, two of them very successful as they were syndicated.

This episode, as well as being a continuation of the same odd chemicals that affected Spock, Sulu and Chapel (And O'Reilly in Engineering) is also an exploration of various forms of intoxication, particularly alcohol inebriation.

The Mechanism by which these molecules brought this drunken effect, not being explained in the original series episode, does not need to be explained here, other than it has to do with Gravitational effects. So, while the 1701-D crew fights off delirium, we also get to see a star explode and huge chunks of Solar Surface approach the Enterprise. Watching this in the recently remastered HD makes that experience much more enjoyable, the Stellar Explosion is perfect and the Cosmic Debris, highly detailed.

And, revisiting this reveals that Wesley did not really "Save" the Enterprise, but he had an idea that contributed to their escape from impending vaporization.

Any awkwardness with the characters can be explained as a Crew who did not know each other well, as well as actors who were defining their roles for the first time. And this Episode introduced the nice outfit that Troi wore for the rest of the season.

If these early episodes had any drawbacks, they had to do with Gene Roddenberry trying to see how much of The Original Series they could safely implant here. Some of it did not work, some of it did. Eventually, he had to hire a whole new stable of Writers to bring us the 24th century rendition of Starfleet and the state of that Universe. The Klingons are allies. The Romulans are ??. The Ferengi are mentioned. At this point, we have an ideal universe, and ideal universes are not very exciting to write about. Eventually it came to be that Earth was ideal, but the universe outside was not, and starting with Season 1's "Conspiracy" episode, that starts getting explored.

Not as good as I remembered it...

Author: thatguy_78757 from United States
12 December 2006

I really liked that episode at the time, I taped it on VHS and kept it for many years... "The Naked Now" Where they contract the same virus as in the Original Series "Naked Time" and act drunk. Data and Tasha get it on, Wesley takes over the ship.

Its funny how interested I was in watching the characters develop. They eventually developed them so well by the end of the series that watching first season episodes like this seems so embarrassingly stupid and primitive.

I often wanted them to revisit planets/ideas from the original series on TNG- this is a good example of why it was a good idea that they didn't do that.

But I liked it at first, even if I wince at it now. They reference the events of this episode in at least 2 other later episodes and in the Movie Star Trek: First Contact (1996) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117731/