As the Enterprise approaches planet Omega IV, they find another starship, the U.S.S. Exeter, in orbit. Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam aboard to find the ship abandoned but strewn with uniforms and crystals. The last log entry from the ship's surgeon tells them they have been infected with a deadly virus brought aboard from a returning landing party. Kirk's party beams down to the planet's surface and finds there is one Exeter survivor: Captain Ron Tracey. He has apparently ignored the Prime Directive and has taken sides in a local dispute supporting the Kohms against their arch-rivals, the Yangs. As McCoy tries to find a cure for the virus, Spock and Kirk try to make sense of the situation. They eventually realize there is an odd parallel with Earth's own history. Written by
Did You Know?
plays Cloud William, the chief of the tribe of "Yangs" (Yanks) on a parallel planet who have survived, evolved and waged a guerrilla war against the invading "Kohms" (Communists) by taking to the mountains and plains and adapting to the tribal lifestyle of the American Indian. In Red Dawn
(1984), Jenson plays the father of Robert Morris, one of the main characters, a band of American teenagers who escape to the mountains during a Communist invasion of the United States and survive to wage a guerrilla war largely by adapting to the tribal lifestyle of the American Indian. See more
When Dr. McCoy analyzes the crystals on the U.S.S. Exeter, he identifies them as the crew members bodies after water is removed. He says the human body is 96% water and does a tricorder analysis of the remaining 4% and reports it as 35% potassium and 18% carbon. His percentages are either wrong mathematically or physiologically. The 96% figure refers not exclusively to water but organic elements, which includes body fat and sugars in addition to water. While carbon does account for 18% of the total body mass, after removing water the percentage should have been 74%. The content of the minerals is also incorrect. Calcium accounts for 38% and potassium accounts for 10%, not the stated 35%. See more
Captain James T. Kirk
Why did you not speak until now?
You speak to Kohms. They're only for killing.