IMDb > "St. Elsewhere" The Last One (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"St. Elsewhere" The Last One (1988)

« Prev | 137 of 137 Episodes

Something to think about

Author: ClydeCrashcup from KC
2 June 2010

In the penultimate scene, the autistic child stands at the window and turns. While one fully expects a "gripping" "Hollywood" conclusion by having the son speak for the first time, instead, we are given something REAL about which to think. "St. Elsewhere" always demanded more from its viewers than average television and it did not disappoint in its final moments. That the entire series was a fiction of an autistic child's imagination took nothing away from the message of the series. Rather, it enhanced it by adding an element of medical realism for which the show always strived.

No one knows exactly how an autistic child might "think". The writers left us that to ponder... the television series itself was secondary.

The end of a fine series

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
11 March 2016

"I survived St Elsewhere" was emblazoned on the baseball cap worn by David Morse's character as this episode and series wrapped up.

I wish I can get my hands on the cap. St Elsewhere was a thoughtful and controversial series that explored a wide range of issues within a public hospital.

The ending is a classic, with Dr Westphall's son playing a key role as he stars into a snow globe, the implication being the whole series was the figment of his vivid imagination.

St Elsewhere lives on and it's great to see this ending standing out as one of the best endings ever for a TV series.