"Space: Above and Beyond" The Angriest Angel (1996)

« Prev | 15 of 23 Episodes | Next »

The best of the best.

Author: MJWalker from Malta
2 September 2010

An engaging and intense premise pits Colonel McQueen, the steely eyed, tough talking Commanding officer of the 58th, all alone against one of their deadliest foes: an invincible Chig fighter who has been picking off entire squadrons in previous episodes. This plays out with a classical soundtrack underscoring McQueen's pent up emotions over his painful personal life, and we get what was easily one of the best episodes in a very promising series.

To echo many other voices on here, I'll lament what a tragedy that such an ambitious, substantive show was (literally) cut off in its prime.

A woeful decision by whichever FOX execs partook in its demise. The show and its makers deserved better. I hope they know how well regarded it has become.

Wow...

Author: wandering_bull99 from United States
16 October 2007

I caught this episode as a kid and never forgot it. James Morrison's grim, brooding performance as Colonel McQueen and his improbable battle against the unbeatable alien fighter-ace... the use of classical music in a pulse-pounding dogfight... just fantastic! I was also lucky enough to find the episode online (via Limewire) and it was every bit as good as I remembered.

"Space: Above and Beyond" was a good show with a great deal of plot depth that was doomed, I think, due to timing and... well, a crappy title. To this day, whenever I talk about the show, I can't help but wince when saying what I'll just abbreviate as SAAB.

Sidenote: I also caught James Morrison on another fantastic, underrated show called "Millennium". He appeared in one episode (opposite Lance Henrickson) as a criminal profiler.