IMDb > "The Sopranos" The Weight (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Sopranos: The Weight (#4.4)"

"The Sopranos" The Weight (2002)

« Prev | 43 of 86 Episodes | Next »

Take it easy, Johnny!

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
6 May 2008

In terms of unfettered, nail-biting tension, The Weight has no equals in the rest of the season: it's a pure exercise in suspenseful storytelling, driven mostly by Vincent Curatola's fearless acting.

Curatola, having been a minor presence thus far, is finally given the opportunity to step in the spotlight, and what an opportunity: his Johnny Sack is rapidly transformed from calm New York liaison into a madly jealous man, triggered by pride and honor. The latter qualities have been metaphorically hammered by Ralph Cifaretto, who famously told a bad-taste joke two episodes back, saying John's wife Ginny was about to have a 95-pound mole removed from her butt. Now, this ain't the first time this has happened (remember the "she's so fat" gags in the previous season), but it's the first time Johnny has been made aware of the embarrassing situation, and his reaction is violent to say the least: after failing to get an authorization from his boss, Carmine Lupertazzi, he sanctions a hit on Ralphie by himself; unfortunately, the man, no matter how unlikable, is Tony's top earner, so it doesn't take long before a retaliatory hit is called on John, raising the stakes to unbearable heights.

There are hardly any laughs in this episode, apart from a few of the usual conversations between foul-mouthed gangsters, and for a good reason: humor would utterly ruin the dramatic impact of the tightly constructed script, as well as dampen the show's ever present study of moral ambiguity, which probably comes close to its peak in these 50 minutes. There's Johnny, an old-school captain who nonetheless decides to override the conventional system when he is denied his revenge; there's Tony, who personally hates Ralphie (and he isn't alone), but has no other choice than to protect him for business's sake. And there's Paulie, who feels compelled to inform John of what happened despite being no stranger to bad jokes himself: it was he who delivered the infamous "She's so fat, she goes campin', the bears have to hide their food" back in Season Three. These people are driven by personal, occasionally irrational impulses, and there are no easy answers waiting around the corner: if there were, the series wouldn't be the milestone it has rightfully become.

Margetis Review: The Sopranos, Episode 43 "The Weight"

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
11 February 2006

In the best episode of the season so far, Johnny Sack is furious! At who? Ralph Cifaretto. Why? Ralph told a joke about his wife's fat ass, and Johnny Sack not only feels it is a mean thing to say, but feels it insults him big time. The episode centrals around Johnny Sack trying to get a hit out on Ralph, and Tony trying to keep Ralph alive because he's a good earner. Carmine says no, so Johnny Sack sanctions the hit by himself, causing Tony to sanction a hit on Johnny Sack. Well, neither Johnny Sack or Ralph get killed, but the whole episode your on the edge of your seat biting your nails. The episode features non-stop crisp dialogue and storytelling, and features a abnormal scene where Christopher and Silvio visit the old hit men that are going to whack Johnny Sack. Overall this is an exciting well-made episode, from writer Terence Winter who brought us last season's Pine Barrens episode. Written by Terence Winter, Directed by Jack Bender. My Rating: 9.5/10.

Packed with funny moments, Johnny Sacks wife's mole, the hit men and Carmella's Furio fantasy!

Author: nlytnd_1 from United States
8 April 2014

Great Episode! When I think about the 4th season of The Sopranos the first thing that comes to mind is humor. It's obvious the writers/creators wanted to focus on the humor aspect in the 4th season and I think it's done well, this episode is no exception. What I like about the humor style is, it's not a slapstick in your face type of humor, it's creative, subtle and most importantly stays in the realm of believability. I rate this episode a 9 mostly because it's well written. Entertainment wise it's not as entertaining as other Sopranos episodes that I would rate this high (and I don't rate many episodes higher than an 8).

On paper the joke about Johnny Sack's wife and his overreaction to it seem a little far-fetched, but it plays out so well. Johnny Sack is so sincere about how such a thing is unacceptable and he's absolutely beside himself, how nobody else is as equally appalled as he is. When Johnny Sack brings this to the attention of Tony and later to Carmine, both scenes are brilliant and hilarious! I love how the camera cuts to Tony and Carmine's face when they finally get Johnny to cough up this horrible thing that Ralph said. Johnny goes to Carmine so he could clip Ralph over it. Carmine wants to know what Ralph did and finally when Johnny tells Carmine, he's stone faced for a good five seconds. As if he's waiting for Johnny to tell him the real reason. Both play off how horrible and equally appalled they are before they attempt to diffuse his anger. This episode delves into this area of human psychology, which I'm not sure if it's ever been taken on in a movie/show with intent before. It's a type of hypocrisy, if you will. In this situation Tony's equally guilty of joking about Johnny's wife and laughing at Ralph's joke, but once it blows up (even though he thinks Johnny is overreacting) he jump's ship and genuinely finds fault with Ralph. Tony informs Junior about the whole drama and while Junior's dumbfounded he responds with "real lack of standards, your generation. My day, John was right". Shortly thereafter Junior makes a comment about Carmine and "those big fish-lips of his", without making the connection that he's being a total hypocrite. It's rarely the action people find fault with, rather the reaction. I have about 1,000 first hand examples of this, yet 999 people out of a 1,000 are oblivious to this as they go there entire life fueling this game. There are several humor elements of the Johnny Sack wife joke drama that carries on for a few episodes. There's the whole ballet teacher thing etc. Later in this episode Ginny is caught by Johnny scarfing down a box of candy bars after she thought he left (Maybe I'm morbid, but I find it hilarious).

Another hilariously brilliant scene is the hit-men that Chris and Silvio seek out. No need to say anything if you've seen it, you know what I mean. Anyways, this episode ends with Carmella finally having Furio as she's been longing for him for a while now, which ties into the title "The Weight".

The Weight (#4.4)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
13 March 2014

A few episodes ago Ralph made a tasteless joke about Johnny's wife making fun of her weight. Johnny is outraged and wants to defend her honor but the family is against it so he gets a hit-man. But after an emotional moment with his wife he has a change of heart and decides to accept the apology. And it seems that Carmela starts to having feelings for Furio.

A pretty good episode. I really liked Johnny's attitude. Not him wanting to kill somebody but that he cared about his wife so much and was sensitive to weight issues. The scene in the basement when he says that he wasn't the one who wanted her to diet and loves her brought tears to my eyes. Such a loving husband who wants to protect his wife from insecurities when she compares herself to the hot wives of others.

The scene when Sylvio and Chris go to visit the men recommended by Junior was pretty funny to me. Very special experience to them.

And it seems that Carmela's feelings for Furio may end up causing trouble later.

Sack 'em

Author: ctomvelu-1 from United States
15 July 2008

Johnny Sack is on the road to perdition when he demands a hit on the disrespectful Ralphie. Failing to get permission, he decides to take care of business himself. This is not good for anyone, least of all Tony, since Ralphie is Tony's top earner. So Tony puts out a hit on Sack, and this will lead to Uncle Junior recommending the hit be done by the old Rhode Island mob as Johnny Sack makes regular runs to the nation's smallest state to visit an ailing relative. While this episode is pretty damned serious, the joke will come when Chris and Silvio go to visit what's left of the old R.I. mob, and they turn out to be a bunch of couch-ridden, toothless, shriveled-up old men. That scene, which I am thinking is in the next episode, is priceless. The actor playing Sack gets to chew up the scenery something fierce. I was working at the Bridgeport paper in the 1970s when the NY and RI mobs were at war. They sometimes went at it in Connecticut with the aid of the biker gangs of the time. One guy was gunned down right near Bridgeport police headquarters, in broad daylight yet. So you may imagine my merriment and delight when we get a look at what's left of the old RI mob. The three old timers look like the three witches in MACBETH, trading off an eyeball, as I recall.