IMDb > "The Sopranos" Everybody Hurts (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Sopranos" Everybody Hurts (2002)

« Prev | 45 of 86 Episodes | Next »

Ouch

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
8 May 2008

Everybody Hurts is a risky episode, the risk being that of transforming The Sopranos into a tearful soap opera. Thankfully, the material is handled with the usual dexterity, lending a special poignancy to the show's events.

The main story is connected to one of the previous season's major subplots: Tony's affair with the emotionally unstable Gloria Trillo (Annabella Sciorra). The romance ended quite badly, and now Tony is devastated upon hearing Gloria has killed herself, as he realizes for the first time in his life what a negative effect he can have on the people around him. Artie Bucco, on the other hand, seems to be completely unmoved by his current situation (divorce and all) and embarks on a new adulterous relationship.

The two plot strands show two friends coping with the difficulties that derive from their urge to satisfy natural instincts, and with Artie's share of the tale being quite familiar, it's Tony's reaction to Gloria's suicide that really grabs the attention. Thanks to a thoughtful script and a touching, nuanced turn from the superb Gandolfini, Everybody Hurts becomes a surprisingly striking reflection on guilt and remorse, unveiling new sides of the protagonist's psyche and fully justifying the show's debt to Greek tragedy. Simply beautiful.

Everybody Hurts (#4.6)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
16 March 2014

Tony finds out that Gloria committed suicide and has to deal with it. Artie also almost commits suicide after making a business plan that he believes Tony could have predicted. AJ goes to Meadow with his girlfriend and sees all the poor people in the neighborhood and Carmela wants to get Furio with her friend.

The episode is actually pretty good. It involves thinking what bad influences one may have on other's lives. Be it the poor people while one spends thousands on home decoration or people close to you who may commit suicide. I don't really think Tony was the reason Gloria killed herself. She was into it before, she just finally succeeded. I am just happy her character won't be on the show anymore.

Everybody does hurt

Author: janicep from United States
11 November 2006

OKay,this is a bit of a touchy feely episode similar to a soap opera. But on some level I've always viewed The Sopranos as a 'soap opera with guns.' Feelings and actions are often heightened and exaggerated. As for Meadow and AJ's newfound empathy with the poor and unfortunate, they are not much more than lip service,at least in AJ's case. It doesn't take much effort to just SAY you feel sorry for someone which is all that AJ really does.

I enjoyed seeing Tony finally feeling guilty about the train wreck he caused in another person's life. In this case it was Gloria. However it all comes back to Tony and his self-centered world. He wants to know what HE did, is HE a bad guy, DID Gloria blame HIM??

I find the utter "me,me,me" attitudes in this episode in total keeping with the theme of 'The Sopranos'. Still maybe too much talk and not enough action for some viewers.

Margetis Review: The Sopranos, Episode 45 "Everybody Hurts"

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
11 February 2006

What a piece of sh*t! What a piece of sh*t! Sorry, I said that twice to get my message out. In four years of watching the Sopranos I have never seen a bad episode. Well, it had to happen sooner or later. Why is it so bad? Everybody hurts, everybody is crying, everybody is acting like a "stunod." It is like watching an episode of Little House on the Prairie or Touched by an Angel. First of all, Meadow is helping out at the South Bronx law center, because she feels for underprivileged people. Funny, just a week ago she was waddling her fat ass around the house making everyone's life hell, and using Jackie, Jr.'s as an excuse to be an . Anthony, Jr. cares about poor people and society, after a life of luxury and sitting around playing video games. Artie invests in a pyramid scheme with a French guy, to impress Tony, then loses $50,000. He overdoses on sleeping pills, and cries to Tony to lend him money. Tony lends him money, and feels for him, and sheds a tear himself. Hardly anything interesting progressed from this poor excuse for an episode, just people shedding tears. But, hey, the title kind of warns you. The only thing exciting that happens in this episode is Tony finds out his old flame Gloria killed herself, and he has a bizarre and intriguing nightmare about it. This episode also centrals around Tony telling Christopher he's going to be his # 2, and that you could only trust "blood", and Christopher is the only gangster related to Tony. What a waste of director Steve Buscemi's talent. Written by Michael Imperioli ; Directed by Steve Buscemi. My Rating: 2.5/10