"The Snoop Sisters" The Devil Made Me Do It! (1974)

« Prev | 4 of 5 Episodes | Next »

Alice Cooper guest role

Author: Richard Riis from New York
19 May 2008

Alice Cooper plays "Prince", a shock-rock singer and leader of a cult implicated in a murder. Prince sports Alice's signature makeup. In a club scene, with the astonished Snoop sisters in attendance, he sings "Sick Things", from Alice's "Billion Dollar Babies" album. It was undoubtedly middle-aged Middle America's first exposure to Alice. One can only imagine how it played in Peoria. Perhaps casting Alice was an attempt to get young viewers on board with this geriatric-skewed series. I can't say the guest spot enhanced Alice's image among the younger set, however. Prior dalliances with Salvador Dali aside, one could mark this as the beginning of Alice's descent into mainstream "professional entertainer" territory. Like every episode of the series, this one seemed a bit too goofy for good mystery. High marks, though, for period camp value.

some fun guest stars

Author: blanche-2 from United States
29 January 2016

Have to say I really enjoyed "The Snoop Sisters" and am sorry to see that I only have one episode left. I had seen a couple of them many years ago and picked up the DVD set.

"The Devil Made Me Do It" has to do with a man Ernesta (Helen Hayes) meets on an airplane, and he's found murdered once they've de-planed. Turns out he slipped an amulet into her purse and people come a'calling for it. And if Ernesta and her sister (Mildred Natwick) aren't home, they just trash the place.

In searching for its owner, Ernesta and G come across some real characters: Mr. Morlock (Cyril Ritchard), Madame Mimi (Joan Blondell) and a singer named Prince (Alice Cooper). George Maharis and Barbara Baxley also appear.

It's great fun, with the sisters always in trouble with their nephew Stephen (Bert Convy) or their driver-security guard (Lou Antonio).

I've posted before that I think this and the Ellery Queen series anticipated this "Murder, She Wrote"-"Golden Girls" demographic by about ten years or so and would have done well in the mid-'80s. The 60-somethings loved seeing those old stars while their boomer kids watched the nighttime soaps. By the time the '90s hit, TV was finished catering to both groups and started working on the new crop of 18 year olds. Gotta know when to strike in the television biz.