IMDb > "Six Feet Under" All Alone (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Six Feet Under" All Alone (2005)

« Prev | 61 of 63 Episodes | Next »

Incredible hour of television: Raw and Authentic

Author: Serenity Lady from Garland, TX
21 August 2009

I just watched this episode for the first time. Some of the best acting, writing, directing and camera work I've ever witnessed, not only in this series, but EVER! The words that kept going through my head: RAW and AUTHENTIC. I cried when David started to shovel the dirt. I could feel Ruth, David, and Claire's pain, and George's eulogy was touching. The poem Nate picked out was interesting and thought provoking.

I only have 2 criticisms: (1) the scene where Ted is driving Claire was a little weak in the writing or acting; I felt there were a couple of awkward moments (the "mix tape," and it seemed out of the blue, Claire said, "I need to go back"). And (2) I don't understand why the family seemed to be ignoring Brenda at the burial site. I understand they were experiencing their own unbearable pain, but Brenda seemed so isolated. Perhaps that is what the writers were trying to portray, which sets up what may happen next and what Nate says to Brenda (her lack of friends/support system). But it seems to me at least Ruth would hug Brenda or express concern about the weight of Brenda's emotional burdens: having lost her husband, discovering infidelity, Nate wanting to leave her, all while being pregnant.

I've loved almost every minute of this series, but this episode blew me away! Enjoy, but you might need a Kleenex, if you love this family like I do.

The Green Funeral

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19 August 2007

When David brings Nate's corpse, he realizes that his brother was a donor of organs. David tells Brenda that Nate had told him that he wanted a green funeral, being buried neither with restoration nor coffin. The family and friends grieve the loss and Ruth blames herself for her absence. Brenda has inner conflicts with the whole situation and leaves Maya with Ruth.

Brenda is totally confused with the loss of Nate. The traumas of David with his abduction have returned and Claire is really missing her big brother. Maya is missing her father and Brenda is having difficulties to explain what happened with him. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Solidão" ("Solitude")