"The Simpsons" Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 (1995)

« Prev | 128 of 591 Episodes | Next »

Season 6: Solid plots and consistent laughs

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
21 October 2013

Where the fifth season had quite a few exaggerated plots, this sixth season mostly stays close to home with the episodes and generally focuses on the characters rather than extreme adventures. This is not to say that the plots still aren't imaginative and large, just that they mostly stay within the town and family, rather than, for example, blasting characters into space. This is just an observation though because really I don't mind as long as it works, and in this season it all works really well. The season doesn't quite have the "stacked classics" feel that season 4 did (for example) but generally the quality is high here.

The family are the driving force but the supporting cast make each episode stronger and this season continues to get the most out of them. The content of the show remains wonderfully subversive and directed towards adults – and not in a sly way, but in a very direct with. Whether it is some of the softer swear words or the sexual imagery, it clearly isn't really for children, but it is still cleverly done – not just crude for the sake of it but uses that tone in a positive way that fits. The animation is great with a lot of polish and lots of jokes in the detail of scenes as well as in the foreground. The voice work continues to be good but it is the writing that gives them such great dialogue to deliver.

Another very strong season of The Simpsons with consistently good episodes that are clever and funny.

I cant possibly solve this mystery ,can you?

Author: scotsmurphy from United Kingdom
24 September 2010

Who shot Mr Burns ? Who shot Mr Burns is the Simpson's team at their brilliant and dynamic best ,it opens on a lovely summer morn with Principal Skinner walking into the school only to find 'superdude' dead, the schools pet hamster,on handing it to Grounds keeper Willie to have him buried he stumbles onto an Oil well making the school the richest custodian in all of Springfield. But the excellently evil Mr Burns, who steals the show, wont have any of it he taps the well and steals the Schools oil.

As the episode moves along more and more Springfield citizens gain a motive to kill Mr Burns with each of them losing something due to Mr Burns tapping the Oil well, or in Homers case Mr Burns can never remember his name. Or with Bart his best friend Santa's little helper has his legs broken inadvertently by Burns .

It all comes to a crescendo at the town meeting, which Burns crashes and reveals his fiendish plan ,to block out the sun and have Springfield glowing in 'Burns brand electricity all day long' .The Springfield citizens are horrified, but Mr Burns armed with a gun walks off and that is where the mystery takes hold we find Mr Burns shot laying over the town clock dial, with seemingly everyone present and everyone a suspect, we hear the memorable line from Dr Hibert 'i cant possibly solve this mystery, can you' ?

Only 8/10, here's why.

Author: Steven Vo (Steven2168) from Australia
18 July 2014

I thought this was a great episode. It is rare that a Simpsons episode is wonderfully executed with a great atmosphere and the scenes were well done.

Although I loved this episode and its one of the greatest Simpsons episodes of all time, I was disappointed by the ending.

SPOILERS AHEAD! I thought it was about time everyone finally stood up against Mr Burns (although they could have years ago) but it didn't make sense to me why they decide to not kill him and why they're not happy that he's shot and might be dead. There were a few missed opportunities with that ending (like someone could have went SURPRISE! and shot him) and I thought Mr Burns should have got killed. SPOILER OVER!

Anyway, I thought it was a great episode.

Part one

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
2 May 2010

Who shot Mr Burns part one is a very good Simpsons episode it starts off with the school hamster dieing and Principal Skinner telling Groundskeeper Willie to bury it,but while digging the whole Groundskeeper Willie discovers something and the school explodes,meanwhile Homer gets mad that Mr Burns cant seem to remember his name,later on Principal Skinner discovers that Groundskeeper Willie struck oil and they become the richest school in Springfield and Mr Burns grows jealous and tries to find oil in the Nuclear Power Plant and while trying to find it it blows up Barts tree house and puts Santas Little Helper in a cast and it also blows up the Springfield retierment home and Grampa has to move in with the rest of The Simpsons and then Mr Burns decides to block out his arch enemy the sun.