"The Simpsons" Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo (1999)

« Prev | 226 of 590 Episodes | Next »

S10: A bit more far-fetched and reliant on cameos than I would like, but still fun and inventive

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
25 April 2015

Rightly or wrongly, I felt the ninth season had a good balance of character driven plots which managed to stay grounded therein, despite some of them being more extreme in their narrative. The tenth season continues the latter but is less successful at the former, as more of this season seems to be extreme and event driven. The plots generally are more about what the story is than how the characters fit within them, whether it be the hunt for Nessie, the family in Japan, the Baldwin's, or being a bodyguard to the Mayor, the characters are within these stories more than being where I was watching. It is hard to describe what I mean, but by chance I had recently watched a season of Always Sunny in Philadelphia (also season 10 as it happens) and in that show the plots always act as only a frame for the characters, here it is similar, but perhaps not as strong.

That said, it is still funny and engaging, even if the plots occasionally do seem throwaway or exaggerated. The delivery of sight gaps, clever dialogue, character-driven humor, or just broad humor does work consistently, and the talented voice cast all continue to do very good work with good timing – as they should for the money they are earning by this point. The standard of animation remains high, and it all looks good and is edited together with discipline and a tight control. It is not quite as good as the classic seasons, but it is not a million miles away, even if personally I think the direction it is moving is not the best.

It might be absurd but I love this episode!

Author: Theraxorterminate from Sweden
11 October 2012

(THERE ARE NO SPOILERS I PROMISE! ONLY PLOT HOLES AND INFORMATIONS!)

I'm surprised that I don't see anybody reviewed this episode, this is at least one of the better episodes on season 10. Season 10 was the season were the Simpsons were originally going downhill and there are some pretty bad episodes, but NOT this one.

Let me tell you that this is an absurd episode upon the way how the Simpsons gets in trouble in Japan. There are a lot of funny jokes and moments in this episode, many jokes made me laugh so badly!

OK it's not a legendary episode like Trash of the Titans or The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson but I think this one has some really funny jokes. At least it's way better than Saddlesore Galactica and The Principal And The Pauper believe me!