IMDb > "The Simpsons" Marge vs. the Monorail (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Simpsons" Marge vs. the Monorail (1993)

« Prev | 71 of 564 Episodes | Next »

Thank God for Conan O Brien!!!

Author: koolcars from United States
24 June 2008

Conan wrote one of the funniest episodes of the Simpsons ever. When the town comes into money they foolishly spend it when a shyster played by Phil Hartman convinces the the town they need a Monorail system just like Ogdenville and North Haverbrook. Homer becomes the monorail driver and everything goes haywire! The "Monorail Song" is hilarious! One of the funniest lines in a Simpsons song is when Apu asks in song, "is there a chance the track could bend?" Phil Hartman's character answers, "Not on your life my Hindu friend." Leonard Nimoy appears in one of his 2 guest appearances on the Simpsons. I wish Conan still wrote for the Simpsons, it might still be funny if he did.

Bit of a messy episode

Author: Ivan J from Netherlands
2 February 2014

Overall merely a mediocre episode. The problem is that for the most part it just focuses on "laugh-moments", and the storyline gets affected by it. On the other hand, there's some good stuff too, some of the gags are really excellent. The story also gets quite interesting during act 2, only to crash back down again in act 3 due to too many unnecessary (though sometimes funny) gags (the story doesn't develop at all anymore in the third act). The good laughs and fast pace in this episode save it, however you can't help feel that - as Ryan Williams has already pointed out - the episode could have been done better.

Still a 8/10, or a B.

Good episode but could've been better

Author: Ryan Williams from United States
1 September 2012

This is considered to be one of the greatest episodes this show has ever produced. For those who aren't familiar with the plot...well it goes something like this... A mysterious man tries to get everyone in Springfield to support his idea of creating a monorail for the people of Springfield and Marge tries to stop him. Well, here's the problem. Although this episode is hilarious, it doesn't really have a solid plot. It's more like a joke-after-joke episode without any actual story development and character development. The same can be said about other "classic" Simpson episodes like "You Only Move Twice" which in my opinion is one of the most overrated episodes of The Simpsons. Still, this episode provides good laughter so I guess it is worth seeing for every Simpsons fan. It bothers me however that the writer of this episode (Conan O'Brien) makes absolutely no use of guest star Leonard Nemoy. Guest stars usually play a serious role in The Simpsons so this is unacceptable.

"Marge vs. the Monorail" is one of the worst episodes in the series...

Author: Zarbon from Planet Namek
8 June 2011

Overview: This is without a doubt one of my least favorite episodes in the series. I absolutely hated the very simple plot... it makes me wonder if people actually like the episode just because it was written by Conan O'Brien... I'm certainly not going to like something just because it was by someone or just because it has a certain character in an episode. The episode's main idea is to show this guy named Lyle Lanley (a smooth talking con man) who pretty much cons the town into building a monorail which fails. Homer drives the monorail prior to its failure... and that's about it. There wasn't much more to the plot nor was there anything special in terms of character development. They randomly tossed in a guest star appearance of Leonard Nimoy of Star Trek... who did absolutely nothing anyway... so that was a real waste of a character. That may be another reason why people may like the episode... based on a random character appearance or something of this caliber. This is probably one of the worst reasons to rate an episode highly... I'm still confused as to why this episode is highly rated... most of the other episodes amongst the highly rated make more sense to me except for this episode and "You Only Move Twice"... probably the only other episode I despise exceptionally due to failure of providing some form of solid story/plot. In the long run... I'm confused... I tried to break it down...

Story: Well... that's about it... a guy tricks the town into paying for a poorly built monorail... and it fails. Yeah... it's that simple.

Development: There is none... nothing happens in the episode to change or alter the characters... nor does it have any effect on any of the characters.

Lyle Lanley: The character seemed really annoying to me... I completely preferred Hartman's other characters... (for example: Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz)... Hartman's a very good voice actor... so this character definitely isn't the most definitive when it comes to his excellent performances. Overall, Lanley was rather limited in terms of story. He was merely a plot device... and a rather poor one at that... considering I really love well-written plot device characters a lot (they are likely my favorite type of characters, even more than main characters)

Leonard Nimoy: Yeah... uh... he didn't DO anything... even if I was a Star Trek fan (which I'm not)... I wouldn't vote highly JUST because he's on screen. That is completely poor reasoning. Say, for example, one of my favorite Star Wars (which I greatly prefer to star trek) characters (DARTH MAUL) randomly appeared in an episode... I still wouldn't rate the episode highly solely based on this. A character or cameo doesn't make an ENTIRE EPISODE a good episode. This is merely to toss in something extra... not a definitive basis for judgment. I'm neutral for Nimoy, at best. Although I myself don't care about star trek much... I found it rather repetitive and lame in comparison to star wars.

Conan O'Brien: I watched this guy's TV show for a very long time. It was better than his writing... that's for sure. Some people should stick to what they do best. Conan's got a good sense of humor. But this episode wasn't humorous... it was more towards the annoying side if anything. Very poorly written overall. Conan must've just rushed it or something... I know for a fact I wouldn't love an episode JUST 'cause it's by Conan O'Brien... that is just plain stupid reasoning. Even if God wrote an episode... I wouldn't love it JUST 'cause. It has to compel and convince me... it has to move me and soothe me... it must have a climactic impact on me of some type in order for me to feel some form of emotion. Only a hardcore Conan O'Brien fan will love this... JUST because it's by him and nothing else.

The Song: I hated the whole singing scene... just as I hate almost any random singing scenes. Most of the songs are just plain annoying... but this one... this particular one was EXTREMELY annoying. There's a few songs in the series as a whole that I did enjoy (such as "We Do" from "Homer the Great" and the "Dr. Zaius" track from "A Fish Called Selma") but this track was just plain annoying... like those other really annoying tracks from "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious"... those tracks just plain ticked me off.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this episode... unless for some reason you're a fan of musicals (which I'm not)... there isn't much of a story to it really... okay... so the monorail failed... big deal. It sucked anyway.