"The Simpsons" Grift of the Magi (TV Episode 1999) Poster

(TV Series)

(1999)

3 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Worst Simpson Holiday Episode, Average Overall(SPOILERS)
I_Am_The_Taylrus10 December 2006
SPOILERS

I'm commenting on Holiday titles. I know I'm repeating myself but I'm just saying it. Anyway, as you know, season eleven of the Simpsons was the worst season with sloppy writing. This, however, is definitely one of the best that season. As you can see, one of the best that season is still very average. Still, this episode has Gary Coleman in it, which is an bonus.

A toy company takes control over Springfield Elementary after Principal Skinner couldn't pay for the new ramps made out of bread the Springfield Mafia gave to him. The new teachers ask the children what the perfect toy would be. Lisa is punished for doing math and finds that the adults had been spying on them and had taking notes about what the children had said what would be the perfect toy. Then she is attacked by a robot thing. Nobody believes her and then she finds out that the robot that attacked is a toy called Funzo that could do everything the children said. Lisa is giving a free Funzo when she tries to complain. She then finds out that Funzo is a toy killer. She, Bart, and Homer steal all of the Funzos under Christmas trees. They burn them but are caught by Gary Coleman. Instead of being arrested they invite Gary Coleman over for Christmas dinner.

Overall, this is a very average Simpson episode. Although it is one of the best episodes in season ten and eleven it is still very average. This is by far the worst Simpson Holiday episode, but since it is the Holidays I'll give it a five. This doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it. The best time to watch this episode is when you have nothing better to do. But still, if you want a good Holiday episode watch Marge Be Not Proud or Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire.

2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Easily the best episode of this awful season. It's surprisingly great
TheLionKing18 November 2007
Okay, so we've all established that Season 11 is undoubtedly the worst season in the show's run. But this episode is an exception.

It's just overall a good episode, which really stands out from the rest of Season 11. It's exciting, fun, surprisingly funny, and even clever at times, which is something the rest of Season 11 (with the exception of, "Treehouse of Horror X") and most of Season 10 and 12 have failed to do.

If you've seen stinkers like, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge" and "Saddlesore Galactica" and have pretty much given up on this awful season, then just watch this episode because you really are bound to enjoy it. Well, I don't know that, but I do know that I liked it.
2 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A festive dud
studioAT22 July 2017
'The Simpsons' tend to do holiday themed episodes well, so it was a surprise to me that this one was a bit underwhelming.

It starts slowly, and despite getting better as it goes along, lacks any really big laughs or moments.

I've been largely impressed with the 11th series of the show so far, but this is not one of the better episodes.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this