IMDb > "The Simpsons" A Fish Called Selma (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Simpsons" A Fish Called Selma (1996)

« Prev | 147 of 621 Episodes | Next »

My favorite episode.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
15 August 2006

With Phil Hartman as Troy McClure. Guest star Jeff Goldblum as McArthur Parker.

I absolutely love this episode!! This is one of the rare episodes that barely has the Simpsons in it at all and focuses on less common side characters.

Troy McClure is out of work and needs glasses to drive his car. When at the DMV he convinces Marge's sister Selma to let him pass the eye exam for a date. Troy soon finds that dating a woman (he previously had a fish fetish) puts him back in the spotlight. It soon becomes a fake Hollywood marriage, and to lay it on real thick, they need a baby.

This episode was good in so many ways. The animation on it was so good. For some reason it just looked perfect. This is the only time we really got to see into Troy McClure's character, and Phil Hartman gave an excellent performance. With an uplifting, but kind of sad ending, this episode was all it could be and more.

My rating: ****/****. 22 mins. TV PG D

"A Fish Called Selma" is a grand exploration of a sham relationship

Author: Zarbon from Planet Namek
7 June 2011

Very awesome episode overall. I loved the storyline here in connection to Troy McClure. I thought to myself... finally: An episode that actually revolves around Mr. McClure. The basis of the episode is about a sham relationship between Troy McClure and Selma. McClure is fine with being in a relationship just for publicity... although Selma is a bit bothered by it. She wishes that he'd love her for who she is, but his emotions are centered around obtaining movie roles and musicals. He's a very solid character in this episode... Phil Hartman did an awesome job by adding emphasis on this character. McClure's role expands when he is required to have a child to obtain a role... but Selma declines this offer. She admits it's one thing to have a sham relationship... but she wouldn't hurt a child in the process. And so, they split up and Troy is single once again. I was rather pleased at the realism in this episode due to the ending being natural and understandable. I very much preferred this episode to numerous others due to the ending... I'd hate for a fictitious lie or happy ending scenario because that would be far from reality. This episode was awesome due to the fact that it stayed true to a real-life scenario and ended the way a situation of this caliber would have ended in real life. On another note... a really memorable scene is the "Planet of the Apes" musical. The melody is probably one of my favorites in the series... the scene where McClure sings to Dr. Zaius using the tune from "Rock Me Amadeus"... is very well orchestrated. I was pleasantly surprised. Very good episode overall.

The Best of Troy McClure,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
15 April 2014

A Fish Called Selma is a brilliant Simpsons episode with a very well written storyline and loads of hilarious scenes.The episode is a fan favourite and it is no surprise why,there are so many memorable quotes within only twenty minutes.It is without a doubt Troy McClure's best episode,pretty sure anything he's said over the course of the first ten seasons (Rest in Peace Phil Hartman) is pure gold,but in this episode he is in the center and gets the most lines,and basically every line is outstanding.The highlight of the episode is without a doubt the Planet of the Apes musical,I appreciated those musical numbers when I saw this episode as a child,but watching it now after actually seeing Planet of the Apes,I get it so much more and enjoy it so much more,certainly one of the most memorable moments of the entire series,and that's saying a lot.A Fish Called Selma is a classic episode that all Simpsons fans will love.

Selma starts dating famous actor Troy McClure and before she knows it they are married,but the "true love" myth be too good to be true.

Little-known fact about this episode

Author: (k7kbn) from Washington State
29 March 2010

When this episode first aired, there was a scene in the "Springfield Legitimate Businessmen's Club", aka "Fat Tony's". In this scene, one of the "businessmen" is lamenting that he hasn't seen Troy McClure in any movies for a long time.

Another businessman says, "Ain't you heard? Troy McClure sleeps with the fishes." (A reference to The Godfather) First businessman: "I didn't know Troy McClure was dead!" Second businessman: "He ain't." That was it; maybe ten seconds of dialogue. But it was absolutely the funniest ten seconds of the whole Simpsons series, up to and including today. However, comma, that scene was scrubbed after that first showing, and unless you have a videotape of that episode, you'll never see it. SNPP.com confirmed that this scene did appear, but somebody felt it was too controversial and got the change made. Given the content of some other shows, like Family Guy, I think they should restore the "lost" scene. But that's just me.