IMDb > "Seinfeld" The Trip: Part 1 (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Seinfeld: The Trip: Part 1 (#4.1)"

"Seinfeld" The Trip: Part 1 (1992)

« Prev | 41 of 173 Episodes | Next »

The beginning of true greatness

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
27 February 2009

The signs were clearly displayed in the Season Three finale The Keys, and The Trip: Part 1 confirms it: Seinfeld's fourth season is the show at its most inspired, provocative and constantly, endearingly funny. It's the only time the series won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy (the remaining five seasons lost out to another NBC sitcom classic, Frasier), and it's also the year that saw Seinfeld become the ratings success it had deserved to be since 1990 (courtesy of Rick Ludwin's decision to air the show right after Cheers, which was in its final season).

Picking up from the discovery that Kramer has moved to Los Angeles and become an actor, The Trip has Jerry go to L.A. to make an appearance on The Tonight Show and George come with him to look for Kramer. What they don't know is that their friend is involved in a case of mistaken identity, and while Kramer gets in more trouble than usual, George manages to make a total ass out of himself once again by suggesting some of his crazy ideas to famous NBC stars such as Corbin Bernsen (L.A. Law) and George Wendt (Norm from Cheers).

The true genius of The Trip: Part 1 lies in what can be seen as a foreshadowing of the season's now legendary story arc about Jerry and George making a sitcom. The storyline isn't actually introduced until Episode 3, but the program's willingness to make fun of its own network is already visible in most of the episode, be it when Jerry talks to Jay Leno (a parody of the comedian's real-life guest appearance on the famous talk show) or the instantly hilarious moment when George asks Wendt if they could use another setting instead of the bar (it would be like asking Larry David to stop using Jerry's apartment).

In short: the show's love for self-mockery is most evident in the fourth season, and an appetizer of some of the series' finest moments are visible in this episode. It's so good, it doesn't even matter that Elaine is absent for the first time since the pilot (in which she didn't even exist yet).

"Part 1". The start of an award winning Emmy breakthrough season for Seinfeld, this is a true classic, and one of the best episodes ever

Author: callanvass
4 May 2006

(plot). When Jerry is booked to appear on "The Tonight Show", he takes George with him to Los Angeles to search for Kramer. George and Jerry are unaware that Kramer is in trouble as a victim of mistaken identity.

This was the start of an award Emmy breakthrough season for Seinfeld, this is a true classic, and one of the best episodes ever!. It's just so incredibly well done, and I thought the scene where Jerry and George are at the airport, and Jerry keeps getting beeped was so hilarious!, plus this is extremely well written by Larry Charles, and Directed by Tom Cherones. I also loved the scene where George suggests a case he had where he starved the cat to death to Corbin Bensen, as that really cracked me up, plus the one he suggested to George Wednt about using a different setting other then a Bar was also amusing. Kramer's scene with Fred Savage was probably the most hilarious scene in my opinion, and this is also extremely well made as well, plus the scene with Kramer and old lady Helene was also very funny. I felt George's frustration with the sheets tucked in too tight, because I too have had that happen to me, but it sure was funny, and It started with a brilliant conversation with Jerry and George, plus Kramer's scene where he is trying out for the commercials, was very funny too. This was the start of an award winning Emmy breakthrough season for Seinfeld, this is a true classic and one of the best episodes ever, and if you Haven't seen it where have you been?, do so immediately you won't regret it if your a Seinfeld lover!. ***** out of 5

Favorite quotes.

Helene:Hello Kramer. Kramer: Oh Helene how are you?. Helene: I Haven't worked since 1934 how do you think I am?. Kramer: Well that's only 58 years. Helene:It was a Three Stooges short, "Sappy Pappies", I played Mr. Sugerman's secretary remember?. Kramer: Right,right, that was Shemp right?. Helene: No, no Curly, the boys play 3 siblings, who find a baby, the Baby's been kidnapped, and the police think they did it. Kramer: Uh right. Helene: But, but of course they Didn't do it, the Police have made an awful mistake. Kramer: Right. Helene: Moe hits Curly with an Axe, the Stooges catch the Kidnappers. Kramer: Right. Helene: But it's too late. Kramer: Really?. Helene: The Baby's dead. Kramer: Really?. Helene: The boys are sent to Death Row and are executed. Kramer: Well I don't remember that part. Helene: I played Mr. Sugerman's secretary. Kramer: Oh yeah you were very good!. Helene: It was so sad, for a Three Stooges, what with the dead baby, and the stooges being executed and all. Kramer: Yeah well that was an unusual choice for The Stooges. Helene: Would you like to buy me a frozen Yogurt at the store Kramer?. Kramer: Well you know I can't right now you know, I got a very big meeting, I got these people interested in my movie treatment, so I guess We'll have to make it another time all right. Helene: NO, no, no,no!, Don't go up there Kramer, They'll hurt you, They'll destroy you, You'll never make it in this town, your too sensitive,like me. Helene: You're wrong, I'm not that sensitive Helene. Helene: I was engaged to Mickey Rooney, he left me at the Altar, Kramer!, Kramer!!!!!.

The Smog strangler.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
27 August 2009

The fourth season premiere to Seinfeld was great. Because Kramer actually does look like a killer. With the Bride of Frankenstein hair and many things. If Kramer were actually wanted for murder and I had no idea who he was, I would think he were a killer. Kramer does look like he would be a killer. Kramer looks like he would be a lot of things. A killer is definitely one of them.

The Plot: Jerry is going to go on The Tonight show, so Jerry and George travel down to Los Angeles to find him. Kramer is now trying out for film roles and his recent girlfriend was just murdered. So the police are out looking for him.

I liked The Trip quite a bit. Though I didn't like it as much as The Keys(The Trip is the follow up to The Keys) I still liked it. This was an episode where Julie Louis Dreyfuss(Elaine ) wasn't in. I like Elaine quite a bit. If anyone is in the show the least, it would be Elaine. The Trip is a good episode no doubt. Every Seinfeld episode is funny, so it's no wonder that The Trip Part 1 is funny.

One of the all time worst

Author: juanmaffeo
23 June 2016

There's no denying that Season 4 is Seinfeld's most acclaimed season (and its best), but my god did it start off bad.

I really didn't have a soft spot in my heart for The Keys (previous episode). It felt completely out of place with the series' tone in general and The Trip is the continuation of that mistake. Above that, it's not funny (specially Part 1). You know how some episodes aren't really good but you can laugh or giggle at some gags. Well, not here. The jokes often don't land, the general story is lame and there's no Elaine and that can only hurt the episode.

Above having an awful script, the direction is awkwardly weird. It's overly cinematic (in the worst way), the pace is as languid as it gets, even the audience isn't enjoying it that much.

This whole mini story of Kramer's escapade to LA feels out of place and, most importantly, unnecessary. For me Season 4 starts with The Pitch. It's logical: it sets up the actual arc that will continue throughout the season and it's actually in the level of quality of this season. These two episodes feel like the writers had to close the stupid story they opened in Season 3 finale.