IMDb > "Seinfeld" The Parking Garage (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Seinfeld" The Parking Garage (1991)

« Prev | 22 of 172 Episodes | Next »

Probably my favorite Season 3 episode!

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
13 April 2008

Before this episode aired, all Seinfeld stories involved a set number of locations: Jerry's apartment, a cafè and the club where the protagonist performs as a stand-up. As of this show, however, the writers realized any place can be used to obtain a great comedy. In fact, the more unusual the spot would be for a mainstream sitcom, the better, just like in The Parking Garage.

For the entire episode, we never see the gang leave the eponymous place. The reason is laughably familiar: Kramer can't remember where he left the car. Because of this, the rest of the show is spent looking for the vehicle, which can be anywhere in the multiple-storey garage. Kramer's the one who suffers the most, since he bought a new air conditioner and insists on carrying the heavy box all the time, while Elaine gets to express her contempt for all mankind as no one agrees to give them a hand. What about Jerry and George, then? Oh, they are in a league of their own when it comes to getting out of trouble...

In ancient Greece, it was required that all tragedies be set in one place over a 24-hour period. Respecting those rules in films has always proved tricky (although the first Die Hard achieved it splendidly), while television never seemed to face any problems: Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and Deadwood were written so that most episodes would cover a single day, but then again those are drama shows, which means each episode is at least 40 minutes long. Recounting a one-day event is less common in comedies, due to the 22-minute running time, and even when such a thing occurs, there are always several locations. This episode of Seinfeld, however, succeeds in a twofold way: the story lasts an entire day, and there is no other set than the parking garage. The limited space does not decrease the fun, though: Kramer's struggle with the box is a perfect comic mechanism that never once falters, and Jerry and George being arrested for urinating in the garage is one of the show's most outrageous and rewarding stunts.

And the ending? It may have been planned differently, as mentioned on the DVD, but the version that made it onto the air is a lot better - sometimes great moments come along by accident.

One of the best episodes of the show!

Author: SourGreenapple42 from New York, United States
28 January 2007

This episode is so amazing, it was the first episode of the show I saw, and still remains one of my favorites. It is so dark, and gives you such a relatable feeling of being "lost", it almost borderlines being eerie in it's wicked sense of humor. The atmosphere created in this episode is remarkable, and it always keeps you on the edge wondering what will happen next. I mean, who can't relate to not being able to find your car in a parking garage, and just getting lost out of your mind? It is the ultimate episode about nothing, and to me defines the show's spirit of dark humor and relatable situations. It really is a true Seinfeld classic. You can watch it so many times and still find it enjoyable. It is a treat for all new and old fans!

The Parking Garage is a wildly hilarious episode, that's one of my favorites,the story in this one is brilliant!

Author: callanvass
14 March 2006

*plot*. After shopping for an air conditioner, Jerry and the gang are unable to locate Kramer's car in a mall parking lot.

The Parking Garage is a wildly hilarious episode, that's one of my favorites, the story in this one is brilliant!. This one is absolutely crazy, as so many wacky and hilarious things happen, and I thought this was extremely well written, by Larry David, plus it's perfectly directed by Tom Cherones. Elaine's story in this about the dying fish, was just awesome, and I thought it was just hilarious that both Jerry and Geroge listened to Kramer's advice about peeing in the parking lot, and got arrested as a result, plus I have kind of been in that situation before, as it's awfully frustrating when you can't find your car, in a big parkade. The ending is hilarious, as the car not starting was actually non scripted, and this is wonderfully made as well, plus David Dunard is funny as the serious cop. The scene where the kid tells George he's ugly is a hoot, and this is also very creative as well, plus I loved it when George tried to spit on that expensive Mercedes!, This is a wildly hilarious episode, that's one of my favorites, the story in this one is brilliant, and if you haven't seen it please do so immediately you won't regret it!. ***** out of 5

Favorite quotes.

Jerry: I really have to go to the bathroom!. Kramer: Why don't you just go behind one of those cars. Kramer: what?, there's nobody around. Jerry: I'll wait. Kramer: You know you hold it in like that, you can cause a lot of damage, to your bladder, that's what happens to truck drivers, oh they hold it in all the time, and eventually it starts to come out involuntarily. Jerry: All right!. Kramer; Are you aware that adult diapers are a $600 million a year industry. Jerry: Maybe I should just go, anytime, I get the urge, like you, wherever I am!, There's too much urinary freedom in this society, I'm proud to hold it in it builds character.

Jerry: I'm telling you Iv'e had this condition, since I was 11 years old, Iv'e been in and out of hospitals my whole life, I have no control over it, Doctors have told me, that when I feel it, the best thing to do is just release it, otherwise I could die, do you hear what I'm saying to you, I'm telling you, that if I don't go I could die!, die!, is it worth dying for?. Secuiry guard: That's up to you. Jerry: Oh so you don't care if I die. Security guard: What I care about, is the sanitary condition of the parking facility. Jerry: Why would I do it unless I was in mortal danger, I know it's against the law. Security guard: I don't know. Jerry: Because I could get Uromysitsis poisoning and die that's why!, you think I enjoy living like this?, the shame, the humiliation, you know Iv'e been issued a public urination pass by the city, because of my condition, unfortunately my little brother, ran out of the house with it this morning, him and his friends are probably peeing all over the place.

George: Unbelievable, I'm never gonna get out of here, guy goes to pee, never comes back, it's like a science fiction story.

Jerry: All right, all right, I want to apologize,I was frightened, I said crazy things, I obviously insulted your intelligence, the Uromysitsis, the water bottle, I made all that up, and now I'm gonna tell you the truth, today my parents are celebrating there 50th, well I'm jumping ahead here 47th wedding anniversary, and we made plans to spend the evening together, They're meeting me in front of my building at 6:15, what I haven't told you or anyone else for that matter, is that my father's been in a red Chineese prison for the past 14 years.

Mother: Don't you dare talk to me like that, you hear me, I told you I don't care, You'll have to wait. George: Hey, hey, is that really necessary?. Mother: Why don't you mind your own business?. George: Well I think hitting a defenseless child is my business. Kid: You're ugly. George: What?. Kid: You're ugly!. George: You are!. Kid: You are!. George: That's what you think. Kid: That's what I know.

Elaine: Jerry!. Jerry: Elaine!. Elaine: Where have you been?. Jerry: I was arrested for urinating. George: Me too. Elaine: You what?. Jerry: I have Uromysitsis, It's very serious you know.

(Elaine talking to the two jocks). Elaine: Please we can't find our car, please just drive us around, the parking lot to find our car, my fish are dying. Jock#1: Sorry can't do it. Elaine: I can see not caring were human, but what about the fish!, the fish!. Jock#1: Sorry. Elaine: Oh that's right go home to your dumbbells, go work on your Pecs, and your Lact, were all really impressed, yeah that's right you got a problem with that!?. George: Elaine shut up.

Lost and Micturition.

Author: Antoine_Bugleboy from terra incognito
17 December 2006

Single Favorite Line: (Kramer) "Jerry, are you aware that, adult diapers are a $600,000,000-a-year Industry?"

Notable Guest Stars:David Dunard (Security Guard), Adam Wylie (Kid / Brat)

Memorable Exchange: (all four looking for car) Elaine: "Well, I'm sure it's right around here" - Kramer: "Yeh, yeah, looks familiar --I remember the elevator..." - George: "There's elevators all OVER --everything looks the same!..We're like rats in some experiment!!" - Jerry: "There it is, it's over there!" (they all walk to where it isn't)

Key Topics: *Forgotten Parking Spots *Urination *Thrift *Unfriendliness *Scientology

Part I Didn't Like: The security guards seeming omniscience about when people are on the verge of losing control of their bladder.

Extra Nice Touch: Richards (Kramer) is carrying a real - and really heavy- air conditioner, throughout the episode, and it shows...adding to this weak episode his saving grace --the patented Kramer pratfalls.

4 of 10 - more dead than alive