IMDb > "Seinfeld" The Letter (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Seinfeld" The Letter (1992)

« Prev | 37 of 172 Episodes | Next »

"I don't get art"

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
15 December 2008

Paintings, letters, baseball, Catherine Keener: that would be another classic Seinfeld episode, replete with silliness and the adorable double act of Michael Richards and Jason Alexander.

Keener, always a terrific supporting actress, plays Nina, Jerry's artist girlfriend, from whom George is forced to buy a painting. After learning she plagiarized a heartfelt letter in order to keep him from breaking up with her, Jerry goes ballistic, while Nina's portrait of Kramer becomes an instant success. As for Elaine, she gets in the usual amount of trouble when she refuses to remove her Orioles cap during a New York Yankees game (the girl's got principles, you know).

The writing is consistently excellent, and the character of Nina fits Keener's comedic strengths like a glove, although the best moments originate from other people's reactions to what she does, such as when Jerry finds out about the letter and argues with Elaine over its significance. Best of the lot? Jerry and George discussing the Kramer painting. Jerry: "She says she sees something in him.". George: "So do I, but I wouldn't wanna hang him on a wall!". Classy.

Author: callanvass
27 April 2006

(plot). Jerry finds out his new artist girlfriend plagiarized a touching letter she wrote to keep him from breaking up with her. Her portrait of Kramer becomes a hot seller. Elaine refuses remove her Orioles cap while sitting in the Yankees owner box during a game.

The Letter is really an excellent episode, that's pretty funny, as I loved that painting of Kramer!. It was hilarious when Kramer sneezed on George's painting, however every time I watch this I constantly try to figure out why Nina was so jealous of Jerry being friends with Elaine, plus This is extremely well written by Larry David and directed by Tom Cherones. I always crack up every time when Kramer gets hit in the head by a foul ball near the dugout, and why that guy made such a fuss about Elaine wearing a Orioles baseball cap in the Owener's box is beyond me but it sure was funny!, plus this is extremely well made as well. I agreed with George about the painting it was really ugly, and while I thought Catherine Keener's character Nina was a spoiled brat she played it very well, plus I loved the ending with Kramer telling the Armstrongs about him growing up. The Letter is really an excellent episode, that's pretty funny, as I loved that painting of Kramer, and I say it's a must see for every Seinfeld lover if you Haven't!. ****1/2 out of 5 Favorite quotes.

Jerry: What are you doing today?. George: Nothing. Jerry: I have go and meet Nina, want to come up to her loft, check out her paintings?. George: I don't get art. Jerry: There's nothing to get. George: No it always has to be explained to me, and then I have to have someone explain the explanation. Jerry: She does a lot of abstract stuff, in fact She's painting Kramer right now. George: What for?. Jerry: She see's something in him. George: So do I, but I wouldn't hang it on a wall.

Elaine: Hi Mr. Lippman. Lippman: How's your father?. Elaine: My father?. Lippman: Yeah you went to see him right?. Elaine: Yeah, Mmm Hmm I went to see him. Lippman: So what was wrong with him?. Elaine: Well you know you name it, you know, Uhh Neuritis, Nueraligia.

(Jerry after he realizes Nina plagiarized). Elaine: You know it's not that terrible. Jerry: What are you talking about?, she completely misrepresented herself!, I don't opt for happiness!, I opt for happiness, James Caan Doesen't opt for happiness!.