IMDb > "Seinfeld" The Heart Attack (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Seinfeld" The Heart Attack (1991)

« Prev | 13 of 173 Episodes | Next »

"I think I'm having a heart attack!"

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
27 January 2008

Throughout its run, Seinfeld centered some of its most memorable jokes around doctors and hospitals (most notably in the Season Four episodes The Contest, The Outing and The Junior Mint), a trend that began hilariously in The Heart Attack.

As is often the case, the premise is related to one of George's misadventures: this time, he thinks he had a heart attack while talking to Jerry and Elaine. As it turns out, there was nothing to worry about, at least as far as the heart is concerned: his tonsils, which were removed when he was a kid, have grown back and are heavily inflamed. Surgery would be required, weren't it for Kramer, who is fascinated and repulsed by the subject at the same time and advises George to see Tor Eckman (Stephen Tobolowsky), a "talented" herbalist.

The show's notorious "no hugs, no learning" rule is depicted at its edgiest in this episode: while other examples of shallowness are perfectly believable, the sight of Jerry and Elaine exploiting George's paranoia to scare him borders on downright outrageous. Then again, this is Seinfeld, so such notions as rationality should be tossed outside the window, never more so than when Kramer is on screen - his description of a guy who became autistic during a hernia operation is insanely inspired and instantly amusing. Equally funny, which is generally impossible (I mean, how do you compete with Kramer?), is Tobolowsky's one-scene appearance, a mixture of all the things that make phony doctors look and sound fake, from the odd stare (the actor's trademark in later TV appearances) to the pseudo-philosophical reflections on his patients (upon learning George was born in April, he comments:"You should have been born in August").

Oh, almost forgot: this show also introduces the recurring gag of Elaine dumping her boyfriends for the silliest reasons. The crime in this case? He prefers talking about the tongue rather than jamming it down her throat (okay, maybe it's not that silly). Outstanding.

One of the best of season 2.

Author: OllieZ from Wolves, England
8 June 2006

Not much to say here really. I think this was a turning point in Seinfeld.

When George is purple in the back of an ambulance...strange but hilarious.

Seinfeld is the perfect sitcom for this very reason. It makes nothing seem so funny.

Kramer is great in this episode, as he persuades George to go to a herbal healer.

The healer reacts perfectly to the other characters. Like Curb Your Enthusiasm the comedy is superbly crafted.

Another classics, much like all the episodes.

Situational comedy at it's best.

Author: callanvass
1 March 2006

The Heart Attack is a brilliant episode, that's absolutely hilarious, as lots of wonderful crazy stuff happens!. This time around George seems to think he's had a heart attack, while Jerry can't figure out what funny note he had written down from the night before. I loved the way Elaine flirted with the Doc (John Posey), as it was really cute, and this is the 1st time we hear Kramer mention his friend Bob Sacamano(at least I think), plus Jerry's opening stand up about appetites was very funny. It's very well made, and Larry Charles does a fantastic job of writing, plus Tom Cherones does another perfect job of directing!. One of the funniest moments in this episode for me is when George's face turns totally red in reaction to Eckman's concoction, and I found it hilarious when Jerry put that pillow over George's face jokingly, plus Larry David had a cool cameo as a B movie actor,as it was quite funny. This is another classic early Seinfeld episode, and Stephen Tobolowsky has a very funny role here as Tor Eckman, as he was just simply bizarre but hilarious!. The Heart Attack is a brilliant episode, that's absolutely hilarious, as lots of crazy stuff happens, and I say go check it out immediately if your a Seinfeld fan!. ***** out of 5

Favorite quotes. Jerry: What have I done, I can't read this,Fullman, Hurtel, Vomel?, I got up last night, I wrote this down, I thought I had this great bit, wait a second, wait a second, "Fax me some Halibut", is that funny?, is that a joke?. Elaine: No let me see that, Don't mess with Johnny. Jerry: Johnny?, Johnny who?, Johnny Carson, did I insult Johnny Carson on the tonight show?. Elaine: Did you mess with Johnny Jerry?.

Doc: Mr. Costanza. George: Yeah, you know Doc, I gotta tell you I feel a lot better. Doc: Well we looked at your EKG's, ran some tests, did a complete workup. George: Oh god Mommy!. Doc: Well you simply Haven't had a heart attack. George: I Haven't?, I'm OK?, I'm OK, oh thank you!, thank you!, I don't know how to thank you. Jerry: Hey that was really fun George, can we go home now?. Doc: No actually,we would like to keep him overnight, for observation, just to be safe. George: Oh sure, sure anything, can you believe this, there's nothing wrong with me. Doc: Well I wouldn't go that far. George: What?, oh my god, what is it, is it Menegitis, Scoliosis, Lupus is it Lupus?.

*Kramer enters the hospital*. George: I have to have my tonsils taken out. Kramer: Oh man no!, George we gotta get you out of here, get out right now, They'll kill you in here. Jerry: It's routine surgery. Kramer: Oh yeah, routine surgery, my friend Bob Sacamano, he came in here for a hernia operation, now he's sitting by a window on a chair going my name is Bob!.

*George in ambulance*. George: I'm an Eggplant!, I'm a vegetable!.

An entertaining episode

Author: juanmaffeo
2 June 2016

I noticed that Kramer is one character in the first seasons and a complete different one in the lattes. I mean, on this seasons he was an eccentric person but with a normal life. The late Kramer is an abomination of a human being that seems that jumped out of a cartoon. And this is a great example of how to write Kramer right.

George has a medical issue and Kramer has a friend (one of his many eccentric friends) who does alternative medicine. He's not swimming in the f-ucking East River (S08). Here he is a normal human being with relatable situations.

The episode in itself is really funny (with Jason on fire) and some great secondary characters.

"There's Nothing Funny About That!"

Author: Theodore Keating from NJ, United States
23 October 2013

Spoilers.

On the whole, I think Seinfeld is a good show. But sometimes, it has these moments that leave me thinking, Why the hell did they do that?.... *Jerry voice* You thought that was funny? Why would you think that's funny?

"There's nothing funny about that!"

It's a little hard to explain, but this wasn't just an episode that I didn't like, it was one that I definitely disliked.

This show is at its best when it's real-- real things that can happen to real people, and not just cops or super-heroes, etc. But this episode is just *so*.... *not* real. From George bickering about the bill at the diner while he thinks he's having a heart attack, to the EMTs stopping the ambulance so that they could have a scuffle over hard candy....

The whole thing leaves you knowing that it would NOT really go down like that.

That, and the show's cynicism flares up again, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It pokes fun at alternative medicine, portraying the healer as a common quack, and that just.... isn't funny! The medical establishment isn't treated much better-- again, the EMTs throwing punches at each other; it was so beyond *not gonna happen*. That, and the show's knack for failed relationship gives Elaine a little doctor fiasco to add to everything else.

I guess that people must relate to the whole 'a pox on both your houses' stick, but it just seemed like chronic negative thinking. I know that Seinfeld is a little old, but I guess that I just wasn't expecting this level of.... hurt, I guess.

They just seemed to all act in a very unfriendly way, too. On top of everything-- joking that George was gonna die when they knew he wasn't, so that they could pretend to lay claim to his stuff, for example. The writers just seemed to be offering us this very negative picture of the world. They show us everything and everybody being hurt.... and they show this not-being-right, all being wrong, as being no big deal.

And I just didn't think that was funny.

I guess you could say that this just isn't what the show is like when it's well.

It's like what Jerry said about that note he wrote about the B-movie slasher he was watching: I thought that was funny, but I was wrong.

(6/10)