IMDb > "Seinfeld" The Bris (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Seinfeld: The Bris (#5.5)"

"Seinfeld" The Bris (1993)

« Prev | 68 of 173 Episodes | Next »

The Bris or the Pigman

Author: (zfiany@hotmail.com) from Lebanon
2 July 2009

With all the pigman issue going around and after the famous dialogue between Jerry and Kramer where the latter tells the prior " I'm tellin ya the pigman is alive. The governments been experimenting with pigmen since the fifties.", you get George Costanza's classical comment: " I wish there were pigmen. You get a few of these pigmen walking around I'm looking a whole lot better. Then if somebody wants to fix me up at least they could say, Hey he's no pig-man!"

And you ask me why I love Georgi the most! I could build him a statue and sit to laugh at it all day.

But Jerry also has a unique answer to that : " Believe me, there'd be plenty of women going for the pigmen. No matter what the deformity you'll find some group of perverts attracted to it. Ooo that little tail turns me on."

Can you resist all that?

And when Jerry & Elaine are asked to attend the Bris of the baby they're supposed to be his Godparent, the Mohel accidentally circumcizes Jerry's finger instead of the baby. How about that!

Those people are just magnificent and the whole show is unforgettable.

Very Funny

Author: s_l_wood from Canada
5 March 2010

This episode was very good. One of the great things about Seinfeld is that not only are the main characters funny, but some of the characters with minor roles are also hilarious (like Georges' parents, Kramers' lawyer, and David Puddy.) A very funny character is in this episode, the mohel. He makes valid points but is so over the top, like he criticizes Elaine for putting a glass close to the edge of a table, where it could easily fall, but is just so funny and melodramatic about it. The central plot involves Jerry and Elaine being asked to be godparents to a friends' baby, and assissting with a bris. Jerry and Elaine plan the bris, with Elaine making funny remarks about how unattractive uncircumcised penises are, and then at the actual bris the mohel steals the show. George and Kramer also have funny scenes: Kramer accuses a hospital of creating a breed of mutant pig men based on seeing a man he feels resembles a pig, and George tries to get the same hospital to pay for damages to his car. A thoroughly funny episode.

"Pig-man, baby! Pig-man!

Author: juanmaffeo
25 July 2016

The Bris is easily the weakest episode in the amazing Season 5. It's not awful by any means but it's not good.

The first half is actually good. We get the good old social commentaries with Jerry and Elaine being asked to be the godparents of a friend couple and we get George issue with his car. The one story I'm split about is Kramer's with his pig-man. Larry Charles is known to be the most absurd of the writers and sometimes that can be good (The Limo, The Subway) and sometimes it can come out as out of place (The Keys, The Trip and this storyline). Actually everything about Kramer in this episode feels out of place: the presence of a pig-man and I can't go on without mentioning the ending. That ending just buried this episode. Maybe in the latter seasons it would've fit nicely but on this season it just felt absurdly weird.

So, Kramer's story is kind of funny and kind of out of place, but what really kills this episode is the second half. Right from when George have his conversation with the hospital administrator (which is remarkably dull and unfunny for some reason). Then we get the bris scene, which has some nice dialogues (level-jumping friendship and George conversation with the cardiologist), but as soon as the mohel arrives everything crumbles. Apparently, every reviewer here on IMDb liked the mohel character, but I personally couldn't find him more annoying. He enters the room and starts shouting left and right with these never-ending monologues that really drags the story down. I don't know, I couldn't even giggle at him. And in the end Charles tries to tied everything together in the most forced way possible: George's car gets stolen by the pig-man for some miraculous reason, the parents ask Kramer to be the new godfather of the baby (with that ending) and the episode just ends flat.

As I said, some good moments here and there but an underwhelming episode in general.

An Under-appreciated (And Seemingly) Misunderstood Episode

Author: sullymazda from United States
26 February 2015

When people discuss the great episodes of this series, many (if not most) sound like dilettantes. Sure, they mention "The Soup Nazi", "The Contest",etc.Yet it always sounds like they know less about the series than they are willing to admit. It's like asking them what their favorite "Twilight Zone" is, and they say "the one where Burgess Meredith drops his reading glasses" or when it turns out that "To Serve Man" is actually a cookbook. When you get answers like this, you know that the people haven't seen terribly acquainted with much of the show, and are unfamiliar with a lot of entries that aren't shown as often. It's too bad because, for instance, some of my favorite "Twilight Zones" are ones that are either rarely shown or--if I'm lucky--an episode that some have seen and dislike."What's In The Box", for instance (how the censors let that one pass in 1964 is beyond me), together with the gorgeous music composed for its final episode "Come Wander With Me." In the case of "The Bris" what's fascinating about the episode is that, upon repeat viewings, you may come away with a different take than you had the first time you watched it.Its subtleties are myriad.

Right off, George demands that the hospital pay for the damage to his car.At first ,you may regard him as a callous jerk, but the more you think about it, the guy's got a point.Guaranteed, that if he took it to court, he would win. Or, it would be settled before that--again, in his favor. Secondly, Jerry and Elaine are uncomfortable being the Godparents, and rightfully so.The mother and father--besides not being the best looking couple I've ever seen- are indeed boundless, "level jumping" on the friendship.

Finally, some reviewers have stated their belief that the Mohel was drunk. Wrong.He is a hopelessly neurotic sociopath--played in sterling fashion by Charles Levin- who clearly is not very good at what he does for a living.

So make sure you mention this episode instead of the one where everyone is terrified of this four foot, 13 inch guy behind the soup counter,or how long any of the four principals can go without an exercise in onanism.

"Look what they've done to my boy..."

Author: itamarscomix from Israel
27 September 2011

Season 5, Chapter 5, "The Bris" This is one of those episodes that made people say that Seinfeld is "too Jewish".

Much as we Jewish folk love to make fun of ourselves - and I loved those part of the episode - this is one of the weaker episodes in season 5. The bris scene itself is, actually, one of the few major highlights of the episode, with the Dangerfieldian mohel making or an excellent character, but the story itself doesn't make much sense and the ending isn't satisfying at all. It does have some very funny moments like the pigman debate, and it's funny like every episode from this season is, but it's not a classic.

One of the best.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
18 August 2009

I have seen the episode The Bris a few times and laugh a ton. The Bris is a pretty famous episode. I think that The Bris is one of the best Seinfeld episodes ever. I would've felt pretty creeped out if I would've saw the Pig man also. That Rabbi truly is a moron though. The Bris is very funny, and that Kramer continues to obsess with some things. There are great performances by , of course, Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, Michael Richards, and the great Jason Alexander. Also by the guy who plays The Rabbi, and a few others. The Bris is definitely one of the funniest episodes of Seinfeld, but this is a show you can't go wrong with. Just about every episode is great.

The Plot of Episode: Jerry and Elaine have been casted as the Godparents of a friend's baby. The job doesn't last when Elaine hires a drunk Rabbi to perform it. Kramer accidentally walks in on a man who looks like a pig and begins to obsess about him. A mental patient at the hospital tries to commit suicide and lands on George's car. George tries to blame the Hospital to cover for the insurance.