IMDb > "Seinfeld" The Betrayal (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Seinfeld: The Betrayal (#9.8)"

"Seinfeld" The Betrayal (1997)

« Prev | 159 of 173 Episodes | Next »

A very clever parody of Harold Pinter's movie "Betrayal."

Author: TrentinaNE from Boston, MA
10 April 2007

This episode is based on the movie "Betrayal" by Harold Pinter (winnerof the Nobel Prize for Literature, 2005). The movie starred Jeremy Irons and Ben Kingsley as long-time friends and business associates. As the movie opens, Irons's character meets with Patricia Hodge, the wife of Kingsley's character, to reminisce about an affair they'd broken off about a year earlier. The movie then moves backward in time until the closing scene that occurs just before Irons and Hodge embark on their affair. At every moment, the audience knows more than the characters do, which gives the story a compelling poignancy.

Seinfeld takes this conceit to hysterically funny levels by continually introducing "prior" information that makes what we just saw happen "later" all the funnier. The episode incorporates some inside jokes as well: there are several "love triangles" going on (Elaine, Susan, Pinter form one; Jerry, George, and Nina the other) and of course, the character of Pinter is an homage to Harold Pinter. The fact that they all go to India for the wedding may be a nod to Kingsley's heritage (he's half Indian).

Very creative and very funny, this episode proved that "Seinfeld" could be fresh and innovative even in its 9th season.

A classic Seinfeld, based on Harold Pinter's The Betrayal

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
11 March 2016

This is the closet I'll get to seeing Harold Pinter's The Betrayal because that movie isn't on DVD sadly. Why is the public denied the right to buy it on DVD??!!

I loved this Seinfeld episode. It was bold and innovative and it's wonderful it played tribute to Harold Pinter's famous play. The writing was impressive and took the viewer through to the beginning of the series, which occurred at the end of the episode.

I heard Jerry Seinfeld wanted to do a claymation episode but this didn't eventuate unfortunately. But at least The Betrayal happened and I'm pleased about this.

The best of Elaine

Author: carlsez_1 from United States
8 January 2009

This is my favorite episode; they only did this format once and managed to hit a home run.

The regulars are all in their usual fine form here, but it is Elaine who has some of the best comic moments and lines. With the exception of Kramer's parallel FDR feud, she seems to drive the frenetic pace of every scene.

Her discovery of the Nina affair, her failure to keep it concealed from George, more drunken confessions in India - they are all high comic points for Julia Louis-Dreyfus. For an actor who I started out thinking was just filler to round out the male cast, I've come to appreciate as a comedic equal. Her character held her own well against the scene stealing George and Kramer.

A unique episode.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
10 October 2009

The Betrayal is an actually unique episode of Seinfeld. All of the Seinfeld episodes are fantastic but this one is backwards. So it's pretty unique. In The Betrayal, you find out what happens in the end of the episode in the beginning of the episode. The Betrayal, like all Seinfeld episodes, is fun to watch. Elaine travels down to Sue Ellen Mishkie's (the bra less wonder)wedding to spite her. Once she gets there, she realizes that she once slept with the groom(Shaun Toub). Other things go on in the episode but I won't say them.

The Betrayal is kind of like Memento. Because it goes backwards. I think, like all Seinfeld episodes, this is a great one. I have seen every episode and not disliked one. I think the worst episode is the Pilot, but what did I expect. This is a great episode.