"Saturday Night Live" Tom Green/David Gray (2000)

« Prev | 493 of 768 Episodes | Next »

One of the Funniest SNL's ever!!!!!

Author: nevillenicol
22 June 2014

I thought this was one of the funniest episodes ever! The skits were strange but that's the point. It was Andy Kaufmanesque. The sketch with Tom Green doing the "rock around the clock" sketch for one, seemed straightforward at first then Will Ferrel came out to sing. Then Tom Green started dancing around the clock then destroyed the clock and jumped on the clock. Strange and hilarious at the same time.

The wedding sketch at the end too was great. Great concept,like she left him standing at the altar. I can't understand the Luke warm reviews at best about this episode, especially after movies like "Borat" were huge successes. Americans perhaps were not accustomed to that humor in 2000.

Worst episode of SNL ever!!!

Author: burkemancometh from Winslow, Maine
24 March 2006

This is probably one of the episodes where the host himself made the show worse. What's usually the case is that the cast and the writing, not the host, make the show bad. They can have a really good guest and just mess up every other way. In this episode, you can see that the cast is somewhat irritated with Tom Green's stupid and pointless antics.

I noticed that any of the sketches which were meant to be intelligent left Tom Green out altogether, such as ones involving Bush & Gore (keep in mind this was after the election, and when the country still wasn't sure who our next president would be due to the fiasco in Florida). It seems they had to tolerate Tom Green being on the show, and told him, "You know what, just stand to the side right there while we rehearse." They shouldn't have even invited him.

Lastly, this was the famous episode where Tom Green invited both his parents and Drew Barrymore (who he was engaged to at the time) up on stage to perform a wedding ceremony. It was a really good concept, except there was some dumb gimmick where Drew Barrymore wouldn't leave her dressing room, so the show went without the wedding. I tell you, the 2000-2001 season of SNL was a good season compared to how it is now, but this episode was obviously the low point of the season.