IMDb > "Sanford and Son" Sanford and Gong (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Sanford and Son" Sanford and Gong (1976)

« Prev | 124 of 135 Episodes | Next »

Nobody ever watched Fred Sanford for subtle humor

Author: calcaylor from Kansas City, MO
21 June 2016

At least no one should. I sure don't. And I am never disappointed.

This is a better than average episode in which Fred, Lamont and Bubba attend a taping of the Gong show. Not surprisingly, their attendance is anything but normal and Fred creates mayhem just finding their seats, violating most rules of decorum to successful comedic effect. And,as the Law of Sitcoms states, their visit inspires them to put together an act and get it on to the show.

After attending, Fred figures he could use the $516.32 prize money, reportedly the Screen Actors Guild's minimum pay for a day's work at the time. Unsure of their chances, Fred wonders if his brother-in-law Rodney's help as a stand up comedian will make the act strong enough. While Rodney readily agrees, he has his own agenda.

On the Gong show sound stage, Fred once again acts up and rounds out the episode with laughs including confiscating the padded sticks so the judges can't ring the gong. Don Bexley (Bubba) shows off his soft-shoe skills.

Chuck Barris DOES make an appearance is in the episode albeit just a straight part and about 4-5 lines. The judges have virtually no lines which is probably why they didn't have more recognizable names doing the judging.

Check Out Those Guest Star Panelists!

Author: richard.fuller1
18 March 2006

The only other show I know of that had the stars of the show go on the Gong Show was on "What's Happening?" The guest stars there, at least I recognized. Barbara Rhoades, Wolfman Jack and Kene Holliday.

Chuck Barris didn't appear in this episode tho.

Here on Sanford and Son, we have Bob Goldstein, Al Hansen and Tracee Lyles.

Wow! Big names! Well, the original Gong show didn't have that outstanding of Judges either, but at least you could recognize them.

I looked up our panelists here.

Goldstein's greatest claim to fame at this time must have been as a waiter in "The Sunshine Boys".

Tracee Lyles played hookers in movies, it seems. Bit parts again.

Al Hansen had a bit more going for him. Worked as a stunt diver in 1954's "20000 Leagues Under the Sea" and made it all the way to Waynes World as 'Bad Actor'.

I've always gotten a kick out of someone appearing on a show as a special guest star and they have nothing going for them as such.