IMDb > "The Rockford Files" The Paper Palace (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Rockford Files" The Paper Palace (1978)

« Prev | 83 of 122 Episodes | Next »

Too much Rita

Author: stones78 from United States
24 March 2011

This episode has the special guest star as Rita Moreno, who does a commendable job as a prostitute, but my biggest qualm is that she becomes the lead character as most scenes revolve around her, and Jim almost seemed a secondary character to me. I'll assume Moreno had the star power in 1978, but I prefer Rockford performing some scenes on his own, which doesn't happen here often, if at all. The subject matter has to do with a hockey team, and an old lady friend of Rita's(named Maggie), who's husband owned part or all of the team. After a botched attempt on Rita's life occurs by 2 French goons, she moves in with Maggie, who herself gets murdered by the same men. It's solid writing as usual, but I cringed when I saw Moreno's name(she may be a solid actress)because she usually takes over as the lead; I believe she stars in 2 other episodes as the same character. A few scenes worth seeing is the funny dinner scene at the Becker's(funny comments by Bruce Kirby), and when Jim and Rita drive to the hockey party/convention; the drive is along this scenic road with palm trees. I'm a sucker for the great outdoor shots as it has this cool mellow feeling.