"Queer as Folk" Preponderance of Death (2004)

« Prev | 63 of 83 Episodes | Next »

Mortality comes a-knockin

Author: PoisonKeyblade from Long Island, New York
12 January 2008

Episode 407 "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." ~Brian

Every season seems to come with its share of bad episodes, so when are they coming this season? Certainly not with the amazingly solid episode 407, an episode about mortality, death, new beginnings, and secrets. Vic's funeral goes surprisingly smooth, but the transition for Debbie is a very rocky one. The final few minutes in which she totally loses control were amazing, and brining back 'Shanda Leer' seemed like a wise move to me. Brian being diagnosed with testicular cancer was incredibly unexpected, and I really think that this has given the show a great step in a new direction. Who would have ever thought that the unstoppable Brian Kinney could be stopped? I cried all sorts of times in this episode, include moments with Blake and Ted and especially their poetic conversation in the falling snow, which is one of the series' most perfect moments. Justin's concern for Brian was touching. Overall just another perfect episode, amazing in every way, and yet another way for Sharon Gless to shine brightly with her skill as an actress.

Episode #4.7

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
9 May 2012

In this episode we continue to think of death. It is very sad to see Debbie struggle while trying to get through her brother's death. The whole Christmas party was breaking my heart. It was very sweet of everyone to come to do it with her.

Another character struggling was Ted. But he is on the way to make it better. His conversations with Blake were beautiful in this episode. I also loved his conversations with Emmett. The one when Emmett came to tell that he read the letter and the one in the Christmas party. It is nice to see the ice starting to break between them.

We see the other characters dealing with the idea of death as well. Hunter being afraid of his own to come after he for the first time witnessed another positive man die. Brian thinking of how it is better to die young before he goes for his operation and Michael being afraid to be alone when Ben dies.

All in all a very sad episode that also makes one think