« Prev | 32 of 97 Episodes | Next »

Some beautiful moments

Author: ada-p from Australia
7 July 2007

As I am not biased with a militant pro-Vietnam War perspective, I was able to enjoy this episode. Despite the other comment's tirade against imagined anti-war slants, the Vietnam War was just a plot device to comment on the insanity of war; similar to the episode dealing with the Cuba missile crisis/hysteria.

The scene whereas Sam sings "Imagine" to his little sister is one of my favourite QL moments. Bakula is a talent singer and musician; his rendition of Lennon's classic carries the hope for peace and "living for today" that was the intention. It is a song for hope written in a time that people were frightened and needed to believe in hope. A time when we needed to believe in the possibility that humanity can overcome the helplessness and fatalism of modern problems.

This episode lets us see into Sam's idyllic childhood at the point before it collapses. God/Fate/Time/JackDalton gives Sam the ability to create positive changes to his own history, although that was not the main point of this leap. A boring basketball sub-plot gave us a chance to see rather touching brotherly bonding, setting up the next episode in which Sam leaps into his brother's Vietnam squad.

A memorable episode. A touching episode. An episode that respects continuity and makes Sam an even more rounded character. And an inspirational song that sums up so much of the positivity, the humanity and the hope that Quantum Leap gave to fans.

The Best Episode of Quantum Leap In My Opinion.

Author: Lisa Sousa (french_horn_babe) from United States
11 July 2006

Quantum Leap is one of my favorite shows. I am looking forward to buying seasons 2 and 3. Season 3 contains the 2 part episode called The Leap Home. The Leap Home, both parts 1 and 2, is my favorite episode of all time from that series. It is a powerful one where Sam is able to see his family and the home he grew up in once more. While he is there, he attempts to change the fates of his young sister,who marries into a violent marriage, his father,who dies from the effects of smoking, and his brother Tom, who goes to Vietnam and gets killed. In part 2, Sam leaps into a buddy from Tom's unit and ends up saving Tom's life. Sam also discovers that Al was a POW about the same time. This discovery was made while Sam looks through the photographs of a lady reporter, who's thirst for a Pulitzer prize, gets her killed. Al tells Sam that she won the prize for her final photograph,which was a picture of a young Al being captured along side other soldiers.

Nauseating

Author: richard.fuller1
2 September 2006

Sam leaps into himself and frets over his father dying of a heart attack and his brother being killed in Viet Nam.

He frowns and frowns and frowns.

Makes the situation worse, of course. Are we supposed to be rooting for this guy? Hey, everybody, let's protest the Viet Nam war ALL OVER AGAIN! Talk about flogging a freakin' dead horse.

The funniest by far is when Sam sings "IMagine" by John Lennon to his little sister and it makes her cry and upsets her.

It amazes me how this show and Sally Jessy Raphael (wow, whatever happened to that totally annoying woman?) treat "Imagine" as some flippin' anthem that would make all our lives so much better, . . . . . if we just followed that beautiful, beautiful (sob), beautiful message, . . . .

BUT English comedian Chris Barrie will quote from the song on the comedy "Brittas Empire" and come across like a total buffoon! Maybe because to listen to songs and sing along with them is fun to do, but to quote them so seriously and act as tho we have to alter our lives by what lyrics say is utterly ridiculous.

"You May Say I'm A Dreamer, . . . " Oh, yes.

"But I'm Not The Only One, . . . " Unfortunately.

"I Hope Some Day You Will Join Us . . . " Thankfuly, no.

"And The World Will Live As One." Not with this message, I'm afraid. It will NEVER happen.

Remember the song is called "IMAGINE". Thats make believe, Mr. Rogers!