"The Philco-Goodyear Television Playhouse" A Man Is Ten Feet Tall (1955)"The Philco Television Playhouse" A Man Is Ten Feet Tall (original title)

« Prev | 255 of 264 Episodes | Next »

The Golden Days of Television

Author: max843 from United States
23 March 2011

This was my first glimpse of Sidney Poitier, the fall of 1955, gathered around our tiny seven inch screen in the upstairs guest room. (Mother would not allow TV in the living room - afraid it would disrupt family conversation.)

It was also my first time seeing man's mental and physical cruelty to other men. For decades the memory stayed with me. But I couldn't figure out where I had seen this waterfront drama since we rarely went to the movies. But thanks to IMDb and TCM I finally found several of the same cast members listed in both "A Man is Ten Feet Tall" and "Edge of the City."

We were so fortunate to be able to see so much fine drama in those days. There seemed a dearth of it during the 70s and 80s - thank goodness for the casting directors of the many "Law & Order" titles, "The Closer" and several new series on cable. So those of us who can't travel to NYC and LA get a chance to be exposed to today's talent.

Personally I still think the Philco Playhouse version superior to the movie - but that is from a 56 year old memory!