"Perry Mason" The Case of the Wooden Nickels (1964)

« Prev | 223 of 271 Episodes | Next »

Ending ruined the show

Author: kfo9494 from United States
21 November 2011

This episode was a good and interesting story. However it faded at the end. I felt like I had just been giving an ice cream cone and after the first lick the cream left the cone and fell on the ground.

As with all 'Perry Mason' episodes, we are accustom to an ending where someone is painted into a corner and then they confess to end the show in the time alloted. In this episode we get a mess. It resembled a car crash than solving of a mystery.

The show begins with a homely looking women hiring Paul to delivery a very rare coin to a unknown person and follow directions like a scavenger hunt.

And to make a story short- we have a replica coin maker, a rich coin collector, a seedy con artist along with our homely Ms Doubleday. Well the con artist gets shot and Ms Doubleday is seen holding the gun over the body. And she get Perry to defend her against Mr Burger in court.

So just from this information we know we are going to have replica coins being sold as original rare coins in the episode. The story was actually interesting. We have some good acting from the cast and some good dialog that ties the entire show together in one good viewing. Then we have the end!

Perry, outside the courtroom, gathers the entire cast and then begins to explain how and why the murder happened. We are left shaking our heads because we have to take Perry's explanation of events as fact even without the slightest evidence of such things ever happening. Perry wraps the entire case up in that gathering and we are left befuddled trying to make sense of the entire show.

The first 40 minutes of the show was good. The last ten seemed out of place for such an interesting story. The ending made the entire episode seem useless. A middle of the road episode for sure.