IMDb > "Night Gallery" Finnegan's Flight (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Night Gallery" Finnegan's Flight (1972)

« Prev | 39 of 50 Episodes | Next »

Pure Torture

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
20 June 2014

What was the point of this? Other than the fact that the one man had the power of suggestion that he could use to manipulate another man, where is this going. Burgess Meredith, one of the all time great character actors, plays a lifer in prison. He longs to be able to leave but knows he never will. A man who has the ability to hypnotize people finds that Meredith is the perfect subject. This would be interesting if there was some way that it would be used to bring about a change or comfort for the man. Instead, he continues to torture him, making him pound his fists into a wall and convincing him that cold water is boiling (asking him to submerge his hands and ultimately producing blisters). The prison psychiatrist gets into the act and Meredith becomes a Guinea pig. What's missing is some sort of strategy, some end to their efforts. This is not a good episode.

Don't ride this jet

Author: stones78 from United States
6 March 2013

I'm disappointed to say that I feel this episode is a dud, considering the decent performance of Burgess Meredith as Charlie Finnegan, although it wasn't enough to recommend to fans of this odd series. Cameron Mitchell guest stars as Pete Tuttle, as both he and Charlie are imprisoned for their own reasons, while Tuttle acts as Charlie's hypnotist(what?)as an escape for the poor man. I'll admit this is an odd storyline, but still fairly original for this genre, but it was poorly executed with little to no surprises. Tuttle makes Finnegan believe he's a pilot, and we get to hear him make these childish sounds of a jet engine, which was very embarrassing to watch, plus we we get to see this disgusting white foam emerge from his mouth as his face is turning very red; this whole scene is silly and borders on the sublime. There are another few scenes which didn't work for me either, and they have Charlie punching a brick wall inside the prison walls until he breaks all his fingers, while he's in a trance. So what happens? He does the same exact scene a few minutes later, and punches the same brick wall. I'll give Meredith credit for giving his all with weak material, but he couldn't save this episode from itself.

Freedom Flight

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
13 November 2014

Burgess Meredith plays Charlie Finnegan, an inmate in a federal penitentiary serving a life sentence who longs to escape, and especially yearns to fly an airplane. Cameron Mitchell plays Pete Tuttle, a fellow inmate and hypnotist who is allowed to hypnotize Charlie, putting him in a trance to believe he is flying in order to alleviate his stress, but this seems to backfire, until a climatic session where Charlie really does take flight of his mind and body... Good cast makes this interesting, with intriguing turns of the plot, though it is ultimately quite far-fetched as well, with an ending that takes it all to the extreme.