"Murder Most Horrid" A Determined Woman (1991)

« Prev | 4 of 24 Episodes | Next »

The time-traveller's husband

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
8 April 2015

I must have watched the odd episode of Dawn French's black comedy-drama series "Murder Most Horrid", way back when it first came out but this is the only episode I remembered well enough to track down and watch again.

Probably that's got a lot to do with my loving almost anything relating to time-travel, especially the notion of circular time and the consequences of unforeseen events, concepts neatly fitted into this half-hour episode where things happen and things are said early on in the narrative which are initially puzzling but which are cleverly pulled together to deliver a neat, "...aahhh, so that's what that meant" ending.

Jim Broadbent steals the show from Ms French as her slightly dim, persevering but ultimately doomed husband given the runaround by his time-travelling wife. I dare say students of the Whovian and Trekkian laws of the perils of interfering with history could pick holes in the plot, but for me, it's just an acceptable Magoffin along the way of a witty and entertaining episode in this particular series.

Quite different from the previous episodes

Author: gridoon2016
1 May 2013

This time, Dawn French plays a physicist who is obsessed with building a time machine. When she gets sacked from the university where she was working, she decides to continue her project in her own garage. And after a violent incident involving her meek husband, the perfection of the time machine becomes a matter of life and death (no pun intended). The fourth episode of "Murder Most Horrid" is quite different from the previous entries: it's hardly a comedy at all, it's a sci-fi story about time-traveling. But while it's superficially very clever, you don't need to think too hard to find the many logic loopholes in the story, especially Dawn French, in the second half, doing exactly the things that led to the violent crime she's trying to prevent, even though she remembers the details (like where the monkey wrench was) quite well. Fans of this type of eternal-loop / infinite-clones / you-can't-change-the-past time traveling will probably rate this higher than my ** out of 4.