"The Monroes" Silent Night, Deadly Night (1966)

« Prev | 12 of 26 Episodes | Next »

Bad news

Author: Michelle Palmer from United States
12 January 2013

This is the second episode we see about the Wales family. They are a mean bunch. Pa Wales is mean and possessive but honest in a sick sort of way. Billy Dan pretty much takes after his Pa, but he's a lot more sensitive. He's too honest and too caring to really let his meanness cause a lot of hurt to another. Dalton, though, is the evilest of them all, and he's the one that causes a lot of the trouble.

In this episode, Clayt accidentally grazes Lorna Wales, the mute daughter, while hunting for a bear. Her Pa and brothers are very angry. He plans to hang Clayt in the morning unless he finds proof that Clayt was shooting at a bear.

This is another one of my favorite episodes. The ending of this episode is really emotional for the Wales family. Saying that, I must say that I have a lot of respect for Billy Dan. He's a brave boy to stand up to his tyrant of a father the way he does. Billy Dan has a love for his father and a respect for fellow man - even those he claims to dislike. The writer's did a really good job putting this family together.