"Midsomer Murders" Who Killed Cock Robin? (2001)

« Prev | 17 of 113 Episodes | Next »

One of the duller Midsomer Murders entries.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
8 December 2007

Midsomer Murders: Who Killed Cock Robin? is set in the small Midsomer village of Newton Magna where on his day off DCI Tom Barnaby (John Nettles) decides to take his missus Joyce (Jane Wymark) to the village pub 'The White Swan'. However a coppers work is never done & the landlord Bill Pitman (Robert Oates) tells Tom about the local doctor Oliver Burgess (Ian McNeice) who hit an Irish man named Sean O'Connell (Sean McGinley) with his car the night before, Dr. Burgess came into the pub for help but when they returned to the scene O'Connell had mysteriously disappeared & fearing a scandal Burgess didn't want to report it. Barnaby calls in Sgt. Troy (Daniel Casey) & start to ask around the village, they discover that O'Connell was a horse whisperer & looking for work at the local riding school. Then, seemingly unconnected, while cleaning out the village well the body of local man Robin Wooliscroft (Patrick Drury) is brought up & the autopsy confirms he was murdered & dumped down the well. As well as a missing man Barnaby now has a murder on his hands & the sinister goings on don't stop there...

Episode 4 from season 4 this Midsomer Murders mystery was directed by David Tucker & coming straight after the disaster that was The Electric Vendetta I had hoped that Who Killed Cock Robin? would be a return to form for the show but to be honest it's as bad as The Electric Vendetta but for different reasons. The script by Jeremy Paul is surely one of the most dull mysteries in the entire series, the clichéd character's are just lifeless & bland. I suppose you could say that about a lot of Midsomer Murders episodes but here the character's really are very forgettable & poorly developed. Then there's the basic plot, I mean it's OK for what it is but it's actually rather slow going at times & takes a very long time to get going. Also I especially like the Midsomer Murders episodes where the motives for murder are over-the-top & the more bizarre the better, in the case of Who Killed Cock Robin? the motive is perhaps the most bland & routine in the whole series. The killer is also a little too easy to spot & even if you don't work it out the ending is a bit flat & the killer's identity won't surprise you. There's just not a lot here to get excited about, it's an alright Midsomer Murders episode but the show has set such high standards that the ones that don't measure up stick out like a sore thumb. Unusually the plot is rather simplistic too & I think that you could probably miss huge chunks of this & still pick up what's going on fairly easily. One more thing, why is this called Who Killed Cock Robin?? I mean why the word 'Cock'? What do Cock's have anything to do with it?!

Despite being a middling episode at best Who Killed Cock Robin? still looks as good as any other Midsomer Murders, the green with the well on it where Robin's body is discovered was shot in Westlington in Buckinghamshire, the car garage used was shot at Hambleden again in Buckinghamshire, Melvyn Stockard's beautiful manor house was Little Haseley in Oxfordshire & featured again in Midsomer Rhapsody (2005) during season 8 while Little Missenden in Buckinghamshire was also used for various locations including the pub scenes. This one has two murders although neither particularly graphic. There's an awful & hammy scene when Valerie Megson arrives back in the village after being away in Australia & she walks into the pub accompanied by an embarrassingly over emotion piece of piano music, it's a scene that I found hard to sit through & is probably the most poorly acted scene here. There's also a bit of Hammer Horror here as a murder takes place to one of their Dracula films which is playing on a TV in the background! I'm not sure which Dracula film it is though, it's been a while since I've seen them. The acting is pretty strong as usual from all involved for the most part but that 'home coming' scene in the pub is really, really badly shot, scored, conceived & acted.

Who Killed Cock Robin? is one of the most incident free Midsomer Murders episodes I can remember seeing, a low point & another disappointment after The Electric Vendetta. Hopefully the next episode Dark Autumn (2001) will be better, I doubt it'll be any worse.

early entry into the Midsomer series

Author: blanche-2 from United States
17 May 2012

Barnaby (John Nettles) is still with his old partner, Troy (Daniel Casey) in the 2001 "Who Killed Cock Robin?" Dr. Burgess (Ian McNeice) is driving home late one night when he accidentally hits someone. When he summons help, however, the body is nowhere to be seen. Tom Barnaby is brought in. Since the person hit allegedly was an Irishman known as the horse whisperer, the obvious person to talk to is Melvyn Stockard (Larry Lamb), who buys and sells horses. He also has a criminal record.

Later, a body is found in the village well and the case becomes much more complex -- involving infidelity, more murder, and an important business deal with a lot of money involved.

Pretty good if not heart-pounding, with the attractive team interviewing various members of the village, including a former ballerina, a bitter husband and a delusional wife. The acting all around is good, but there are too many characters for us to really get to know them.

Beautiful scenery. For so much murder going on, the town sure looks idyllic.

Characters Certainly a Bit Stock

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
20 February 2016

Considering the plot of this episode, it's my belief that this is just too long. As a result, there are long talky periods where little happens. Once a character has been established, we don't need more exposition. I think first of all of the farmer, the father of the boy who is getting married and the jilted husband. He is full of anger and there are several scenes that don't progress the plot, just reaffirm the same point. The smug father of the bride, an acquaintance of Barnaby's is much the same too. He is full of himself and he resists helping in the case, enjoying casting barbs at Tom. Unlike most of the Midsomer Murder episodes, I was pretty sure who the murderer was and I was proved correct. I could go into more, but others have already presented some of the shortcomings. I agree that a high standard has been set and the last two shows don't stack up.