IMDb > "Midsomer Murders" The Green Man (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Midsomer Murders" The Green Man (2003)

« Prev | 29 of 105 Episodes | Next »

Bittersweet farewell to Sergeant Troy

Author: annie-293 from United States
14 October 2012

We have a two-track investigation here, as Sergeant Troy, now promoted to Inspector Troy, is given the throw-away case of an old hermit being harassed by local hooligans (called "yobs") while DCI Barnaby goes off to the scene of a cave-in at a local canal work, where his wife Joyce is volunteering and his daughter Cully is doing PR work. The excellent Cherie Lunghi had little to do as the mother of one of the yobs, and the interesting part of the episode for me was the focus on the hermit and his interaction with the local wildlife.

Tom Barnaby's research into the history of the canal and his leap from blacksmiths to the more recent victim found at the site of a mid-19th Century cave-in seemed like a leap too far. I agree with another reviewer that it seemed inconsistent for Barnaby to take the local lord and the former constable to task over their actions surrounding the earlier slaying when he then essentially does the same thing. However, the ending "felt" right, just as the midstream confession by one of the characters "felt" wrong to Troy.

The ending, with the hermit once again in the woods and surrounded by the animals who felt at ease with him, was worth the price of admission.

Sergeant Troy moves on

Author: blanche-2 from United States
5 August 2014

A sad episode, "The Green Man" marks the end of Sergeant Troy as Barnaby's partner, as he becomes an Inspector in his own right and is promoted. He had that little flirtation with Barnaby's daughter Cully for a while, and I was hoping...that's a couple of seasons away.

To give Troy the hang of working without him, Barnaby works on one case, and Troy another. Barnaby investigates some old bones walled up in a cave where Joyce and Cully are volunteering. Except one of the skulls appears to have had National Health, given the state of his teeth, so he's not as ancient as the others. Who was he, and what was he doing dead in the cave? Troy's case involved a homeless man, protected by the local Lord, who is being attacked and harassed by teen boys out in the woods shooting for fun. The man, Tom, takes the gun away from one of the boys and throws it in the bushes. Later it's used in a murder. Troy has to find Tom, learn what happened to the gun, and if he saw anything. While he's at it, there are a couple of other murders.

The plot has some interesting twists, one of which is Barnaby's actions when learning the identity of the man in the cave. I actually don't agree here with the other reviewers. Rather than give a spoiler, I'll just say that given the circumstances, I think Barnaby did the right thing. It's true he took two people to task for doing basically the same thing, but I think he also saw ahead that nothing was going to come of doing anything about it now.

Tom, the hermit, has a fascinating interaction with the wildlife around him, and this is one of the best things about the episode. It's an unusual one, and a melancholy one, as Troy moves on.

Troy's farewell to the series.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
21 July 2007

Midsomer Murders: The Green Man is set in Midsomer Malham where local businessman Timothy Webster (Tim Woodward) has organised & partly funded a restoration project to clean up the Midsomer canal, however while working on it several volunteers become trapped when part of the canal tunnels roof collapses. No one is hurt & they are rescued relatively quickly but the cave-in has revealed a chamber where the bones of several people are found, most of the bones belong to workers from the 18th Century but one set of bones belongs to someone who disappeared in the 60's. DCI Tom Barnaby (John Nettles) is on the case while his Sgt. Gavin Troy (Daniel Casey) has been promoted to Inspector but before he leaves Barnaby gives him a murder case, that of a teenage hoodlum called Simon Mayfield (Henry Cavil) who was shot in the head in some local woods...

Episode 1 from season 7 this Midsomer Murders mystery was actually a bit of a downer to start kick of season 7, directed by Sarah Hellings this is a fairly sombre episode as we have to say goodbye to Sgt. Troy who has been a great character & a good foil for Barnaby & I'd personally have liked to see him leave at the end of a season not the start. The script by Michael Russell has a few interesting ideas, for instance the set of modern bones that was found in the collapsed canal tunnel could have been the centrepiece of a pretty absorbing mystery where Barbaby has to investigate the past, unfortunately not much is made of these & I don't get Tom's reaction to them either. Tom deliberately goes out of his way to make sure a local judge & a local retired copper who knew about them feel guilty & that they can't just ignore the bits of the law they don't like which is fine if he upholds that notion himself but at the same time he decides to do exactly the same thing & let the killer go free because he doesn't belong in prison or some such nonsense, I thought Barnaby was better than that & would uphold the law period no matter if the crime was 40 years old or not & he comes across as a hypocrite. Then there's the fact Barnaby gives Troy the proper murder case on his own to solve, I'm not being funny because even though I like Troy he is a sidekick to bounce ideas off & nothing more. Then of course there's the far fetched co-incidence that the two cases are linked, what a surprise. There are few suspects, no red herrings & a couple of very predictable plot twists as well, it's watchable enough but hardly a Midsomer Murders classic.

This one has top notch production values as usual & it's well made from start to finish although the scene when the tramp Tom is caught by the dog & it bites his arm looks ridiculous, his arm is obviously padded & in most of the shots his arm looks fatter than his head! Sapperton canal tunnel in Gloucestershire was used for, unsurprisingly, the canal tunnel scenes while the other locations were well served by the picturesque English country. This one isn't gory or graphic, there are a couple of dead bodies on an autopsy table, some skeletons & a few off screen shootings including a fox so you animal lovers beware. The acting is very good as always.

The Green Man is a decent Midsomer Murders episode for sure but not a classic, a sad farewell to Troy in a story where he gets to play the boss for once. However he will return... One more thing, I know it's the name of the pub in the village but what has the title The Green Man have to do with anything?