IMDb > "Miami Vice" Mirror Image (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Miami Vice" Mirror Image (1988)

« Prev | 90 of 111 Episodes | Next »

"Mirror Image" has be the best episode of season four!

Author: edwardjamessmith from France
8 February 2008

"Mirror Image" has to the best season four episode because 1- It's just the right cliffhanger episode to end the fourth season. 2- It's a very well done episode. 3- The music used in the episode is brilliant. The song "Money God" suited the atmosphere to the scene it was used in. 4-One of the most weirdest and brilliant things I've seen is that dream sequence on the beach with Sonny dressed in white surrounded by the vice squad all dressed in black. The other two parts which continue the story are great but this one's great because of the Jan Hammer music which is used. Miami Vice is one of the greatest shows ever created. This is an episode that can't be missed out on.

Best of season 4, no doubt.

Author: cory5521 from United States
27 July 2012

This was not only the best of season 4 but one of my top 10 MV episodes. I knew how they were going to set up season 5 but I wasn't sure if they were going to do it right. I wasn't sure if they were going to get gritty enough for this to work. Well they took Miami Vice to another level with this and the several following episodes.

Its always refreshing to see an actor break from his usual role and try something risky, and this couldn't have came at a better time. I was sure season 4 was going to end leaving a bad taste in the viewer's mouths. But just when I thought the MV highlights were over, they end it with a bang leaving everyone wanting more.

I agree with the "edwardjamessmith" review. The beach dream scene was done very well with long needed MV style, complete with Jan Hammer music strumming away. One of the highlights of the episode in my opinion.

I can't say enough about this episode and I cant wait to watch season 5. You'll feel the same.

Crockett gets lost in his undercover persona

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
13 August 2012

As the final episode of season four begins Crockett just wants to get on with his job after dealing with the man who murdered his wife in the previous episode. His current case involves going undercover as Sonny Burnett and is working to turn Alejandro Gutierrez a drug dealer against his boss. During a meeting on a boat Gutierrez tells Crockett to follow him as he jumps overboard but Crockett is too slow as he is busy fishing and is caught up in the explosion that kills several of his boss's men. The vice team believe Crockett was killed in the explosion but he is in fact in Fort Lauderdale with Gutierrez; he is no longer undercover though... because of the explosion he has lost he memory and now believes he is really a drug dealer called Sonny Burnett! This makes him more dangerous as he no longer has the moral boundaries a policeman would have. Back in Miami a murder investigation has been opened but Homicide is in charge of the case but Tubbs has found a link to Ft. Lauderdale so goes there to try to find out what happened to his partner.

This was a good conclusion to the season; the cliff hanger ending will leave viewers keen to start watching season five as soon as possible. The story is fairly action packed with a spectacular explosion and several shootings, there is also some impressive footage of Crockett attempting to reel in a marlin. Don Johnson does a good job as Crockett; it was interesting to see how the character changed as he became his Burnett persona. I thought the idea of giving the main character amnesia might have been a case of jumping the shark but thankfully it seemed to work here... of course it is too soon to be certain as the story has yet to conclude. Another potential cliché that worked was the rather surreal sequence where Crockett dreams of his vice squad colleagues. As is usual for this series there was plenty of good music accompanying the action.

An unfunny joke of an episode

Author: (rms125a@hotmail.com) from New York, NY
3 April 2017

I couldn't watch this through. It's absurd. It's fascinating to watch the young unknown Julia Roberts (who looks pretty much the same today) but she is not around that much. Tony Azito's malevolent character is so over the top and his performance and character are so ridiculous that it's hard to even understand what's going on. This episode is just artsy- fartsy nonsense for the most part.

Like a fine Swiss timepiece

Author: filmklassik from LA, CA
23 December 2016

This is a tense, clever, exceedingly well-crafted episode. More of a straight-up thriller than a cops and robbers story, which is one of the reasons I liked it.

The other reason I liked it is the plot. As crime story's go, this one is a feat of engineering, with every gear and circuit fitting neatly into place. In fact it reminded me of a leaner version of Scorcese's THE DEPARTED, but with a better structure.

Only a somewhat hurried climax works against it.

Otherwise, all suspense stories should be this tight.

My score: A-minus.