IMDb > "Maverick" A Flock of Trouble (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Maverick" A Flock of Trouble (1960)

« Prev | 75 of 124 Episodes | Next »

Pass the Mutton and the Laughs

Author: dougdoepke from Claremont, USA
4 May 2011

Except for the shootout climax, this is classic Maverick. Watch sheep flock owner Bret with typical Garner charm duck and finagle his way around sheep hating cattlemen. He's won the flock in a poker game and must now figure out a way to sell them before the cattle boys skin him. Good thing there's a tomboy girl heading up the cattle posse. Seems she's just waiting for someone to bring out her feminine side, and Bret's only too happy to oblige. It's a highly enjoyable episode, with amusing situations and clever dialog. I just wish the writers had completed the story with the same sly humor they use in the buildup. This is one of the entries that carried the series to popular heights.

(In passing—there's more to the cattle vs. sheep feud than just preferences for steak and leather over mutton and wool. Seems sheep eat the roots of plants, thus killing them, whereas cattle do not. As a result, sheep can destroy the forage for cattle. Now, I've seen a number of similar themed shows, but have never seen this underlying fact explained to audiences, and I'm not sure why.)

Maverick: A Flock Of Trouble

Author: Jim Colyer from Nashville, Tennessee
5 July 2015

It is a flock of sheep that gives Bret trouble. He wins a sheep ranch in a poker game and becomes involved in a war between cattlemen and sheepherders. Sheep smell! I tend to take an interest in the women of Maverick. They are an age group, born in the early 1930's. Myrna Fahey as Dee Cooper was born in 1933. She is a tomboy, but a romantic at heart. Bret buys her a fancy dress and sweet talks her. She twirls, feeling pretty and female. Dee and Bret kiss, and she buys his sheep. It is amazing how one slug in the jaw can knock a man out cold. I also marvel at the sound made by a fist striking a jaw. It is that clicking sound heard in all the old westerns.