IMDb > "Masters of Horror" Homecoming (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Masters of Horror: Homecoming (#1.6)"

"Masters of Horror" Homecoming (2005)

« Prev | 6 of 26 Episodes | Next »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

How the rest of the world views the present US administration

Author: Benoît A. Racine (benoit-3) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
21 July 2006

(My first comment was deleted by IMDb based on an abuse report filed by another user. This is a toned-down version removing the name of a certain political figure.) The satire is not as subtle as it could have been. The female Republican shill character is too much of a cynical, whorish skank - even though she is almost civilized by comparison to her real-life model - and the main character never elicits sympathy. The whole premise of war veterans coming back to life is "borrowed" from Abel Gance's premonitory 1938 anti-war masterpiece "J'Accuse", which was both horrific and heart-felt... Despite a few attempts at "humanizing" the war-vet zombies, they still come off like props to the story. I dislike the whole slasher/gore/schlock tradition and Joe Dante's films especially...

Still, this film's heart is in the right place and it is a grade-A document on how the rest of the world perceives America under its current administration and, as such, it shows the kind of courage that is too rarely exhibited in the American film industry. Films like this should be produced every day for prime time television until Americans finally "get it" and shake themselves free of this nightmare... This film makes clear how electing (and re-electing) a certain political figure whom I cannot name for fear of censorship can truly be perceived as a crime against nature and humanity.

Political? Yes, but thoughtful, thought provoking, and well done

Author: kabalas-1 from United States
16 March 2006

I disagree 100% with the reviewer who gave this short movie an "F" grade. Is this a zombie movie with an obvious political slant to it? Yes. But in the current political climate (movie was released in 2005) this particular political opinion and the discussion that it hopes to start by merely mentioning these issues has been horrifyingly missing from our national dialogue. I agree that it's a sad day when a low budget zombie film has to bring these issues into the national dialogue. But thank God that Joe Dante had the courage to do it. Now, if you're not interested at all in social/political issues there's no need to worry. This is a great little zombie movie that is entertaining and original. I loved it and would give it an "A"

The worst kind of satire

Author: whoisfletch from United States
19 July 2006

The last sentence of this review is a major spoiler.

I have enjoyed Joe Dante's work since Piranha. He's done a great deal of different genre parodies that were both funny and honest.

But this is pure crap. This is the kind of satire - in line with Thank You For Smoking - that is so literal and direct that it leaves nothing a) to be laughed at and b) to leave the audience to think about.

It's a shame, because the plot and the material is so rich, timely and ripe for intelligent commentary.

By the way, there is absolutely no reason for the main character to shoot the Ann Coulter character at the end of the film. It's just flat out ridiculous.

Worst of the series...

Author: rickert from Oregon, USA
7 July 2006

I was looking forward to Dante's contribution to this excellent horror anthology series from Showtime, but this was easily the worst of the bunch. It's really too bad. Part of this may be due to the poor, if odd, choice of source materials. Why Joe didn't just write an original, I have no idea. Instead, we get this soapbox episode where the "message" overwhelms the script, the characters, the staging, everything, and by the end I was just wondering whether it could get any worse, and I won't spoil it...but it ended up getting worse. What a stinker by such a talented creative team. Skip this one and buy the John Carpenter one instead. It manages to balance all of the elements: horror, humor, character, vision, and it's fun. Homecoming is about as fun as having a bear take a dump on you while you sleep.

I think you got this wrong...

Author: aidawolf from Serbia
10 January 2011

This is not political movie, it doesn't tell you to vote for democrats or anyone, it is just anti war film... Personally I hate zombie movies, I hate horrors, I haven never seen any good horror film, they were never scary for me, there is no horror masterpiece in my opinion, nor any masterpiece film in which people get killed, I am not hippie, but I like to see artistic films, I hardly find any film that I like, and I liked this one very much... some people here said that this film is not subtle, well it should not be, it should scream in your ears WAR is WRONG...and some said that poorly made films should not send any message, well, maybe this movie is not high quality, but his message is, and this message should exist everywhere, especially today, when people are getting blinder every day...well I don't think anything will open minds of these people, because they refuse to open them, well only when people extinct then this world will be clean from us, we are so apathetic and suicidal, nothing will help us... At least, I will say thank to this film, THANK YOU FOR TRYING, in this world where no body cares any more...

So much for subtly...

Author: Eternal1976 (acastellino@hotmail.com) from Columbus, OH
31 March 2007

There are places for political commentary in film, but "Masters of Horror" is not one of them. I get enough of this stuff from Newsweek and every other editorial in the newspaper. Now I've got to watch this in horror movies? C'mon! All I wanted was a good zombie schlock film, not another "Bush is bad!" rant. If Joe Dante wants to express his politics, let him go on Air America. And if you must insist on making a "message" film, be a little more sly about it. This had all the insinuation of being slapped in the face with a dead fish.

By the way Joe, do you really want the left-wing voting block to be associated with brain-dead zombies? Might want to think about that before making another political horror movie (God help us).

Awesome

Author: Lex Fulgore (Naturezrevenge) from Canada
19 June 2006

This one had us laughing our asses off and thinking as well. An unexpected dose of satire, wit and political commentary wrapped up into a clever and poignant piece that will be doubly enjoyed by zombie fans and anti Bush people. A few touching moments are also to be found as are a high level of self aware campiness and intelligent parody. Not a horror per se, but a fun piece nonetheless and good fodder for the typical horror junkie wanting to partake in some lighter fare. This is a real popcorn piece and may be desirable to those who loved "They Live" or any old zombie picture for that matter. The zombies are not particularly scary, but the new twist had us thoroughly enjoying this one and as long as the tongue remains planted firmly in the cheek it's one to watch. Recommended!

Political Satire Rather Than Horror

Author: Bensch
25 July 2007

Directed by Joe Dante (The Howling, Gremlins), the sixth episode of the first "Masters Of Horror" season, "Homecoming" is not really the 'Horror' one might expect from this great series. More precisely, as Horror, the episode fails entirely, but it is rather to be regarded as a political satire, as which it works greatly. Director Joe Dante was obviously focused on exposing and ridiculing the Bush administration, rather than creating a suspenseful piece of Horror, but, as mentioned above, the episode works greatly doing exactly that.

SPOILERS! Republican consultant David Murch (Jon Tenney), makes the wish that a deceased soldier should come back from the grave on live TV. March assures the viewers that the soldier would still support the president, an idea which the (very George Bush-like) president uses in his next speech for the upcoming elections, making the wish that deceased soldiers would have to chance to vote. Suddenly, however, supposedly dead soldiers start walking the country - with the intention to vote. They're not necessarily willing to vote for the president, however...

One of the greatest qualities of this episode are the characters. Thea Gill, for example, delivers a great performance as arch-conservative blonde pundit Jeane Cleaver - a probably alarmingly appropriate satire on far-right columnist Ann Coulter. Another highly amusing (and still frighteningly true) character is the Televangelist Clayton Poole (J. Winston Carrol), a very obvious (and probably not even very exaggerated) spoof on the late arch-conservative God-enthusiast Jerry Falwell. The whole episode is full of these characters, and that (as well as the satirical view on political propaganda) make the episode well worth watching in spite of the fact that there is little to no suspense. All this depends on your political views, of course.

I understand that many of my fellow Horror fans were disappointed by this episode. Because it is not really Horror. It is a very decent political satire. There are furthermore some fun allusions to the Horror genre and its greats, two tombstones on a cemetery read "G. A. Romero" and "Jacques Tourneur", for example. The performances are almost entirely very good.

It is understandable that "Homecoming" is not the episode that will appeal to everybody. I personally found it to be a solid, and in parts very well-made political satire. I would have probably given this a high rating in another context, but the main purpose of a "Masters Of Horror Episode" should be to deliver Horror, therefore I rate this a 5/10.

Worst of the series, Exploitative and Silly, Watch Deathdream instead

Author: chowyunpat from st. louis MO
9 July 2006

---------SPOILER ALERT----------------------------

This was the worst of the series, it is horror disguised as political satire and it is as subtle as a sledge hammer, not very scary and not very insightful. Did Micheal Moore have anything to do with this piece of Garbage.?

I'm really sick of Hollywood using entertainment as a political campaign against George Bush and constantly repeating the same talking points over and over again. This movie wants to be DeathDream, but unlike that movie which subtly poignantly tackled the problems soldiers who came back from Vietnam by clever making the main character come back as a blood craving zombie and slowly built on this theme: it was a true horror film that was also good social commentary, because it didn't get sanctimonious, exploitave and preachy.

I guess Joe Dante, thought this was trying to make a horror film to scare Republicans, conservatives and Libertarians and me being the last in that list found this film to be totally ridiculous, manipulative and exploitave all at the same time and I don't mean the good type of exploitative, that you often find in the " drive-in" type movies, I mean exploitative in the most sickening and vile manner: using the deaths of our soldiers as a manipulative political statement disguised as a horror film.

This film assumes that all the soldiers who died in Iraq, would vote against a conservative president if they would come back to life as zombies, which is a flawed premise, because as I recall for the most part and going by George Romero's rules; zombies are mindless, flesh eating creatures, operating on pure impulse and even though the zombie Andy, in DeathDream could talk, he couldn't really hold a conversation and he was driven by his addiction to human blood. Okay, zombies are mindless creatures driven by impulse and not intellect and obviously they are dead, so why would dead people be allowed to vote in the first place? My interpretation of this film is that the only war a liberal democrat could win is by having mindless, dead people vote for him, I guess they meant to say the people that vote for presidents like George Bush are the mindless zombies, while the real mindless zombies, are actually the ones making the intellectually sounds decisions. Yeah, whatever. Dawn of the Dead tackled this idea much better, but user the idea of mindless consumerism. This film isn't Dawn of the Dead by any stretched of the imagination.

The film addresses the issue while the soldiers are alive that a majority of them voted for a Bush like president, but after they die they would vote for a liberal anti-war democrat after they are zombies, who are normally considered brain dead creatures and laughably has them destruct after they vote.

If you are gonna make a zombie movie Mr. Dante and invoke George Romero's name in it, you better have mindless zombies that like ripping people apart and eating their intestines, not zombies that vote. I also like how the zombies just go "evil" conservatives who support the war.

If you want a good movie with social commentary skip this poorly made, preachy piece of junk and watch DeathDream instead.

The worst of the Master of Horror Series hands down.

Get your politics out of my horror.

Author: bugaboo-7 from Illinois
13 December 2006

I had enjoyed the Masters of Horror Series until I came upon this infantile dung heap.

This anti-Bush propaganda piece masquerading as a horror film comes off like an episode of the original Batman done by Michael Moore. Political satire should be clever, this however, pulls a ten on the simpleton scale with all the style and credibility of an L. Ron Hubbard film.

In its campy, inane way, it accuses the Republicans of stealing elections, going to war for absolutely no reason and treating servicemen and women as mere cannon fodder. It even takes a swipe at the Second Amendment and religion. All that was missing was Caesar Romero as the President cackling in glee about how he orchestrated 9/11.

I guess the ending was supposed to be the "we support our troops" moment, but I think they would be more offended than pleased with the entire endeavor.

I'm sure the Hollywood elites are sitting in their Malbu mansions patting each other on the backs for this "pithy" work while the misinformed anti-war drones hail it as genius.

Time to get fitted with new tinfoil hats kids.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]