"Man About the House" We Shall Not Be Moved (1974)

« Prev | 19 of 39 Episodes | Next »

Jerry built!

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
9 September 2009

Mrs.Roper goes to stay for a week with her sister. Her husband takes advantage of her absence by telling Robin, Chrissy and Jo that their lease has expired, and he wants them out at the end of the week. Jo, displaying hitherto unsuspected levels of intelligence, points out that under law they must have at least three months notice in writing before they can leave. Builder Jerry ( Roy Kinnear ) says that the flat is to house George's aged mother. He is, of course, lying. She has been dead for ten years.

The sneaky Roper wants to convert the flat into smaller living units so that he can then charge more rent. Reluctantly, the flat mates begin to pack. But then Mildred comes home...

No Larry again ( presumably he's away ) but instead we have the wonderful Roy Kinnear making his debut as cowboy builder 'Jerry'. Permanently clad in woollen hat and workman's jacket, he's not far removed from the character he played in 'Till Death Us Do Part'. We first see him in The Mucky Duck, illustrating his building plans to George by dipping his finger in beer and drawing on the table. When he is finished, he says: "Now what have I got?". "Clean fingernails!", snaps George. Kinnear worked so well with Brian Murphy he was brought back in later episodes, and even appeared in the 'George & Mildred' spin-off from time to time.

Funniest moment - Mildred is in the upstairs flat, finding out what has been happening in her absence. Peeking nervously through the half-open door is George himself. Without looking back, she says: "Come in George, I know you're there. I can smell the fear!".